So you think you can draft? - 2013

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Another floor in this game is there were people that wanted to take Subban in the 3rd round but then he was available in the 4th but that is still using hindsight to become a better drafter...

Well since horvat went #9 I think you put him there or not at all. I think that is a fair rule for all Canucks picks.

As for Subban you have to assume he's there at 4th, if people want him at 3rd, that is fine.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
One major flaw is the assumption that the players available would still be available at the next selection.

For example if Vancouver took Nichushkin 9th perhaps Hunter wouldn't be available at 24th (which could happen if Dallas picked Hunter).

You are most correct, however:

9) Nichushkin
24) Shinkaruk
85) Subban
115)Subban

Who cares after that. I'm not some HF pick guru who's heard of players ranked below 150 and knows everything about their game enough to answer. Maybe I'd take big Tommy Taylor from Farmboy Factory, Saskatchewan because he has broad shoulders and a nice smile.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Is he actually a prospect? :laugh:

He is actually.
Not drafted though.
He was ranked 75 around the midway point...
And then he just dropped to the 120 range.
I don't know what happened...

I figure he will probably be drafted next year.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Well since horvat went #9 I think you put him there or not at all. I think that is a fair rule for all Canucks picks.

As for Subban you have to assume he's there at 4th, if people want him at 3rd, that is fine.

Yea, Im not the judge of the game so I dont care, just can see people saying that they pick him at 4th, even though on the draft they would have taken him at 3rd assuming he would be gone by the 4th pick, just pointing out why this is still easier then a real life draft, but I dont mean to be a Grinch its just a game.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
It would be better to do this before the draft and do it as a draft list of maybe the first two rounds. That way we don't get the hindsight of knowing who is getting picked later than we would have thought.

HotBread

Feb 2, 2012
If I understand this correctly and we are drafting for the Canucks and not BPA. I love the idea of drafting two needs: top six sniper and offensive puck-moving defensemen. While I'm not sure Pulock is a top 10 talent, I feel like walking away with Pulock (reach) and Shinkaruk (fall) would be help the prospect pool the best with our two picks.

Kind of difficult drafting the 9th overall because it is always going to be tied with Schneider. For everybody drafting Nichushkin and if he doesn't show up or want to develop in our system then we look like fools. That taken I like Horvat as a safe pick with a decent ceiling given the options it just doesn't meet what I think our prospect needs are.

9: Ryan Pulock
24: Hunter Shinkaruk
3rd: Sven Andrighetto
4th: Jordan Subban
5th and on: Don't know enough outside of the CHL to continue but would have liked to have taken a flyer on Alex Forsberg when his head is in a better space on a new team.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It would be better to do this before the draft and do it as a draft list of maybe the first two rounds. That way we don't get the hindsight of knowing who is getting picked later than we would have thought.

It would be best to make the selections right before the Canucks make theirs. We would know who is available, and not be influenced by who is available later.

For example, and you guys can only take my word for it, as I was not posting at the time.

9-Horvat
24-Shinkaruk
85-Bjorkstrand
112-Subban

didn't have an opinion for the last ones. These were the players I was crossing my fingers for right before the Canucks went up and picked. I did not want Nichushkin at 9. I don't think I have scouted any of these players to any competent degree, so my opinions on the matter are essentially worthless, but for ****s and giggles I will post my thoughts so that I can look back on them 3 or 5 years in the future.

I really did want us to trade up for Zykov similar to what LA did, but that doesn't really count, but I'll just throw it in anyways.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Great thread idea!

So I thought it might be fun for everyone to put who they would have drafted at each spot in the draft. We could do something like this every year, and see who does the best job at drafting, bumping this thread a few years down the line. Maybe you could even be able to replace our current scouts:naughty:

Anyways, let's try to leave player discussions out of it, and just list who your picks would be.

For reference, here are Vancouver's picks:

9) Bo Horvat
24) Hunter Shinkaruk
85) Cole Cassels
115) Jordan Subban
145) Anton Cederholm
175) Mike Williamson
205) Miles Libertari

And here's who I would have taken:

9) Valeri Nichushkin
24) Hunter Shinkaruk
85) Sven Andrighetto
115) Jordan Subban
145) Markus Soberg
175) Tyler Hill
205) Lucas Wallmark

Anyways, have at it, name your picks!

9. Nichushkin
24. Santini
85. Slepyshev
115. Fasching
145. Bell
175. Westlund
205. Hill

Treefingers

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 21, 2006
Vancouver
9. Horvat
24. Shinkaruk
85. Bjorkstrand
115. Subban

Don't know anything about the rest, so I won't bother with them.

arsmaster*

While I agree knowing the outcome will skew any of the data in here, I'll play along.

9. Horvat (I liked Domi here too)

24. Shinkaruk (clear BPA and highest ranked faller...Erne and Zykov would have been my choices had Shinkaruk not fallen.

85. Buckles, Bjorkstrand or Dunn. Not sure.

115. Don't mind the Subban pick. I liked Ully and Gregoire too.

145. Greg Chase/Kyle Burroughs

175. Betzold

205. Lees

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->