So who's gonna take goalies

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
turnbuckle said:
As for Minnesota passing on picking a goalie with the 17th selection.....do you know something the rest of us don't? You're not Francis the Talking Mule are you? Carolina has to win a little something tonight for that to happen.

Even at thirty, Minnesota has more pressing needs than a goaltender. Kopriva is a long shot, sure but he's still playing in the AHL and still needs time to adjust. Harding just made it to the NHL and we're going to lock him up for years. As I said, I think we'll take a goaltender but not in the first round. Or I might kill DR. If at all, second round, which wouldn't be bad. IF he does pick a goaltender, it has to be at the 30th spot, which is pretty much in reason.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
cup2006sensrule said:
I think Nashville could take a goalie with their back-up a UFA and Vokoun's health a question mark it makes sense to take a goalie, maybe even with an early pick.

It doesn't make much sense to draft a goalie in the early rounds with the hope that he'll solve your goalie problems next year. Both the Vokoun and back-up issues, if they ever arise, are likely to only occur next year and not beyond that. A goalie drafted now would be several years away.

I think a goalie is a possibility, though the Preds might be the best example of a BPA team out there having drafted heavily in the blueline in two of three drafts despite being strong on the backend (took 8 defenseman in the first three rounds during that stretch out of 11 picks in those two years). Conversely, they've taken only two centers out of 14 picks in the first three rounds of the last 4 drafts despite center being the position of greatest need, by far.

I'd say it's a crapshoot who they'll pick on the first day. They've had significant success plucking defenseman from outside the first round (Weber, Klein, Skrastins, Sulzer, Kulyash, Franson, Laakso), so I would expect that trend to continue. Don't be surprised if the Preds first day picks are all defenseman. Bottom line is that they'll pick who they like, not what they need. And the Preds really, really like defensemen.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I could see Calgary taking a goalie in the first or second round this year, but I suspect they will wait until next year to draft a goaltender early.

The Judge

Mar 18, 2006
turnbuckle said:
It's tough to make up a mock on the first round based on who I consider to be the top prospects, because there is no bloody way that four goalies will be taken in the first round of this draft, even though I have four in my top 30 BPA.

when I try to figure out who will be available at 16th overall for instance, I wonder whether there will have been a goalie or two already chosen, but I can't see it happening - at least not two goalies anyway.

Are there any fans of top 15 teams with draft picks that think their club is going to pick a goalie? What about in the second half of the draft?

At first glance I suspect that Tampa and LA wouldn't mind grabbing a Bernier or Helenius...but Lombardi may not want to take a goalie at 11th overall when he can be fairly certain that one of the top two goalies will still be around after the top 16+ selections.

What do LA and Tampa fans think about it? I get the feeling many of you want to steer clear of netminders with top 15 picks, even after Cam Ward's rapid ascension this playoff season.

Would LA fans be upset if Lombardi flopped picks with say a Montreal, and picked up another asset while drafting a goalie? Say a second round pick, or perhaps Zednik?

Would Tampa fans go crazy if Feaster picked up a goalie with the 15th pick?

Risebrough will really be rooting for Carolina tomorrow night I guess. If the Canes win, will Wild fans be upset if Dougie grabs a goalie with the 17th pick?

I'm looking for some feedback, although I must admit I've found that most fans usually want a 'high scoring forward' first and foremost, particularly in the first round. Hey - everyone's looking for the next Mike Bossy - why not?

Knowing Lombardi's tendencies he will trade down since it's not a deep draft plus he will fill more holes on what the organization needs IMO.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Guess it was the Kings taking Bernier. Must say I didn't see him going that high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->