So who's gonna take goalies

turnbuckle*

It's tough to make up a mock on the first round based on who I consider to be the top prospects, because there is no bloody way that four goalies will be taken in the first round of this draft, even though I have four in my top 30 BPA.

when I try to figure out who will be available at 16th overall for instance, I wonder whether there will have been a goalie or two already chosen, but I can't see it happening - at least not two goalies anyway.

Are there any fans of top 15 teams with draft picks that think their club is going to pick a goalie? What about in the second half of the draft?

At first glance I suspect that Tampa and LA wouldn't mind grabbing a Bernier or Helenius...but Lombardi may not want to take a goalie at 11th overall when he can be fairly certain that one of the top two goalies will still be around after the top 16+ selections.

What do LA and Tampa fans think about it? I get the feeling many of you want to steer clear of netminders with top 15 picks, even after Cam Ward's rapid ascension this playoff season.

Would LA fans be upset if Lombardi flopped picks with say a Montreal, and picked up another asset while drafting a goalie? Say a second round pick, or perhaps Zednik?

Would Tampa fans go crazy if Feaster picked up a goalie with the 15th pick?

Risebrough will really be rooting for Carolina tomorrow night I guess. If the Canes win, will Wild fans be upset if Dougie grabs a goalie with the 17th pick?

I'm looking for some feedback, although I must admit I've found that most fans usually want a 'high scoring forward' first and foremost, particularly in the first round. Hey - everyone's looking for the next Mike Bossy - why not?

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Quite a few people have the Caps taking Bernier in the first round...but I don't see it happening. McPhee has been burned with one 1st round goalie (Ouellet via trade) so I doubt he goes that route on Saturday with so many 2nd round picks to use. I see them taking either defense or power winger at 22/23.

The Caps could take Irving, Enroth, or Varlamov in the 2nd with one of the 3 picks.

Hockeyfan6781

Mar 2, 2003
Hamburg, NY
its a long shot but if Bernier is sitting there at the sabres pick ( probably wont be thats why i call it a long shot) i think they take him.. would be a perfect opportunity to refill the system

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Alot of people are speculating that the Rangers take another goalie in this draft (not in the first round though). With Lundqvist seemingly having established himself as the #1 for quite some time to come, Al Montoya has become one of the organizations best trading assets. The consensus thinking is that a goalie would be taken for depth purposes because the absence of Montoya leaves the Rangers crease cupboard pretty bare.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Well all I can say is IF the Isles don't that's a pretty short-sighted decision considering we have at most 1 lower-tier goalie prospect. If DP goes down, who is next?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I think Nashville could take a goalie with their back-up a UFA and Vokoun's health a question mark it makes sense to take a goalie, maybe even with an early pick.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
turnbuckle said:
At first glance I suspect that Tampa and LA wouldn't mind grabbing a Bernier or Helenius...but Lombardi may not want to take a goalie at 11th overall when he can be fairly certain that one of the top two goalies will still be around after the top 16+ selections.

What do LA and Tampa fans think about it? I get the feeling many of you want to steer clear of netminders with top 15 picks, even after Cam Ward's rapid ascension this playoff season.

Would LA fans be upset if Lombardi flopped picks with say a Montreal, and picked up another asset while drafting a goalie? Say a second round pick, or perhaps Zednik?

Drafting a goalie is certainly a possibility for L.A. Lombardi said that the most important position is the goaltender, and he's looking either to upgrade or for Garon or LaBarbera to step up. I know drafting a goalie won't fill the need immediately, but his focus on the goaltender position would have me put drafting a goalie past him.

Myself, I'm wary of drafting goalies in the first round. Call it the Storr effect.

I'm not interested in Zednik. We need more leadership and grit.... and I'd rather boost our defense. Just my opinion.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
strungout said:
Quite a few people have the Caps taking Bernier in the first round...but I don't see it happening. McPhee has been burned with one 1st round goalie (Ouellet via trade) so I doubt he goes that route on Saturday with so many 2nd round picks to use. I see them taking either defense or power winger at 22/23.

The Caps could take Irving, Enroth, or Varlamov in the 2nd with one of the 3 picks.

I don't think he's been burned for that. It's a heck of a move that one. Adam Oates was undergoing UFA at the end of that year; and receiving that amount in return of Oates was amazing. Ouellet, 1st, 2nd and 3rnd pick. I know Ouellet didn't live up the expectations, but you can't tell that was a bad move at that period of time for MCphee.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The trade was good (they ended up with Alexander Semin), but Ouellet flamed out in spectacular fashion for a once highly-touted prospect. There is every reason to still think he's gun shy about late first round picks spent on goalies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I would be disappointed in Minnesota using the 17th overall pick to pick up a goaltender. Leyland Irving might be left in the 2nd round, and we could pick him up there.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I think whoever gets Irving in the 2nd will be very happy. I doubt he falls to my Oilers at 45, but I wouldn't complain if he did.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Just because a team has another fairly highly touted goaltender in its system does not automatically deter them from taking another young goalie. Edmonton took DD just two years after selecting JDD.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
synergy27 said:
Alot of people are speculating that the Rangers take another goalie in this draft (not in the first round though). With Lundqvist seemingly having established himself as the #1 for quite some time to come, Al Montoya has become one of the organizations best trading assets. The consensus thinking is that a goalie would be taken for depth purposes because the absence of Montoya leaves the Rangers crease cupboard pretty bare.

Since when has it become the 'concensus' that montoya is going anywhere?

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Matt MacInnis said:
Just because a team has another fairly highly touted goaltender in its system does not automatically deter them from taking another young goalie. Edmonton took DD just two years after selecting JDD.
and I think the Oilers should take a goalie again this year. JDD is a big question mark, and we need insurance in case DD doesnt pan out either

turnbuckle*

Drake1588 said:
The question isn't necessarily whether a team would take goalies (every team will, perennially), but when they would be prepared to take them.

I was talking about in the first round - yes, most teams will pick a goalie at some point in the draft - that goes without saying.

As for Minnesota passing on picking a goalie with the 17th selection.....do you know something the rest of us don't? You're not Francis the Talking Mule are you? Carolina has to win a little something tonight for that to happen.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
I am of two minds for goalies in this draft. I just don't think the quality is there, this year, for a goalie to go in the first round. There is an outside chance a team with more than one pick in the top 40 may take a goalie in the first round but other than that I doubt it.

On the other hand, when the first goalie is drafted I think there will be a run of them...

One goalie a lot of teams are talking about, including the Vancouver Canucks, is Leland Irving (sp?). For the Canucks to draft him, though, they would need a top 90 pick for sure.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Look for Toronto to not take a goalie in 1st round, LOL we have Rask and Pogge developing great.

However, some team can move up to our spot, like maybe LA and draft Helenius. The trick for my Leafs is to move above Atlanta so they can have a chance to select Bryan Little, Michael Frolik, or James Sheppard.

13th is a good spot to take a goalie, not 11th IMO.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
I can see the AVS drafting a goalie as early as the 2nd round but more likley to be 3rd or 4th because as of right now they really need D prospects. But they also have a huge hole in the net, After Budaj who do they have? they have no one because Kolesnik left for russia. So im pritty sure they will draft a goalie as early as 22nd round and later then 4th. But they need to address their D needs first and foremost.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Following Canucks recent draft tendencies, you may see them select a Q goalie who falls past where he was "expected" to go. This year, that could very easily be JC Blanshard. Alternatively, if they continue to go the Junior A route, they may take a hard look at Marc Cheverie.

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
Following Canucks recent draft tendencies, you may see them select a Q goalie who falls past where he was "expected" to go. This year, that could very easily be JC Blanshard. Alternatively, if they continue to go the Junior A route, they may take a hard look at Marc Cheverie.

Yeah, that would not surprise me either. The Q-Canucks has become quite the pipeline for netminders in recent years, and given that Blanchard has kind of fallen off the map after leaving Moncton mid-season, Blanchard could very certainly be around in the fourth or fifth round range.

But to use a first on one would be unlikely.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'd like to see the Ducks take a keeper, but not in the first. We've got McKee and Levasseur right now, and Bryz is only mid 20s, Giggy hasn't past 30 either. A keeper in the second would be OK, but I guess it depends one what we do regards to moving up or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->