WJC: So who wins Gold?

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
Gold - Canada
Silver - USA
Bronze - Russia/Finland (I have Finland upsetting Sweden in the quarters)

I think you're going to be very surprised with the US defense. Forbort is solid with a bit of a nasty streak, Leddy is developing nicely, and everything I've seen out of Merrill, Faulk and Dumoulin suggests that all 3 should have gone in the first round of their respective drafts. Honestly the one thing that has me not as confident about the US team is that Campbell is coming in cold. Last year he was absolutely lights out heading into the tournament.

Although it wouldn't surprise me, Sweden have not lost a single important game to Finland for the last... 10 years?

Hence, I'm reluctant.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I really like the make-up of this year's Canadian team than I did last year.

There are no superstars, but all the players work hard and play defensively. Almost all the players can chip in offensively as well (unlike last year, where the majority of offense was supplied by Hall, Kadri and Eberle). Defense is a similar story, although guys like Gudbranson haven't looked great (yet).

Bottom line is there were so many non-factors on the last year's team (ie. Nemisz and Henrique, who were useless without Hall, and Cowen, who might as well not even have made the team). If this year's team can be better, I think they have a great chance at gold.

BigD66

Mar 24, 2009
Red Deer, Alberta
I wish that sweden will win and Canada to be 2. But it wont happen.

1. Canada+refs
2. Sweden
3. USA

img_35.gif

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Canada obviously. The only time Canada doesn't automatically win the WJHC is when there is a bigger International Hockey event coming relatively soon (Olympics). In those years, no one really cares who wins the World Juniors because the real tourny is with the big boys.

This year people once again care.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Heh, what can I say, I'm a bit of a homer.

They're due to win at some point though, just hoping it's this year.

Russia would be better match-up for Finland than Sweden in the quaterfinals. Russia is more fiting opponent for Finland`s style even though Russia might have better team than Sweden.

1. USA
2. Canada
3. Suomi (if we are in the bronze game we will most likely win. Finland is one of the few teams who actually cares about bronze.)

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Canada obviously. The only time Canada doesn't automatically win the WJHC is when there is a bigger International Hockey event coming relatively soon (Olympics). In those years, no one really cares who wins the World Juniors because the real tourny is with the big boys.

LOL :laugh:

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Although it wouldn't surprise me, Sweden have not lost a single important game to Finland for the last... 10 years?

Hence, I'm reluctant.

Finland beat Sweden 1-0 in the qf game in 2006 (juniors).

1. USA
2. Canada
3. Finland

msm29

Was htsportplaya
Jul 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
USA/Canada is a wash in my book. It really depends on who plays their game better. Both teams strengths and weaknesses match well against the other team.

If Canada can slow the game down and dominate physically, they shouldn't have a problem with the US.

Is the USA can open the game up and play a transitional game, they have the advantage. I don't see any close games between them. I really see the refs/momentum playing a huge advantage to whatever team comes out on top.

And that's not a shot at Canadian favoritism. If the refs allow a lot, Canada has the advantage because of their size. If they call everything (and then some) the US has the advantage. We'll see what happens.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010

So Canada didn't win last year because nobody cared? It's good that team Canada knows how to lose the WJC's when it doesn't matter :) sounds like this is coming from a canadian, eh?

Anderson9

Apr 11, 2009
Kazan, Russia
All i read in this thread is Canada this Canada that, Canada Wins, Canada for Gold. Is it juvenile homerism or Canadocentric arrogance? If we're dealing with the latter, don't be surprised at the amount of gloating when/if Canada loses the champ.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
All i read in this thread is Canada this Canada that, Canada Wins, Canada for Gold. Is it juvenile homerism or Canadocentric arrogance? If we're dealing with the latter, don't be surprised at the amount of gloating when/if Canada loses the champ.

you mad brah?

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004

Based on recent history, your comments just sound bitter.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
If the US just get's the Bronze I'll be happy. That would be evidence of a giant leap in development (respect) as far as USA hockey is concerned.

Minus the Gold in 04' and 10', the US has only medaled 4 other times since the tourney's documented inception in 1977 (33 years).

I'm going with:

Gold-Russia
Silver-Canada
Bronze-Sweden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad