WJC: So who wins Gold?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
LOL! Ok you made yourself look real bad, so I advise you to stop embarrasing yourself.
He was exagerating when he said that, but his point that a World Junior game in the States which occurs next to the Canadian border, would have the American fans in the minority, is quite valid. The fact is that's why the tournament is even being held so close to the border, so the Canadian fans can come and fill up the rink and prevent it from being the poorly attended tournament it is in other Countries.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
Haha, okay bud. The Canadian team is always the most talented and favorite to win, it's been that way since the 80's, but to say it's because of their effort and heart is ridiculous.

They needed overtime to beat an average US team in the Olympics (on their home ice, no less) last year.

In fact, I'd say it's the Canadian's arrogance that might be the biggest thing that holds them back in tournaments like this.

Well bud, nowehere in my post did i mention the Olympics but seeing how you went there i will point out that, like you said, Canada did beat the US to win the gold medal and even though they may have played against an "average" US team, which i totally disagree with, they still had to beat the best goalie in the world at the time.

What i meant was that this tournament is a household tradition in Canada and the Canadian players really understand that. These Canadian players know that this tournament means more to most Canadians than Christmas itself and are willing to do whatever it takes to bring home gold and make the country proud. Not taking anything away from other countries but i just believe that Canada has more on the line than just a gold medal. They know they are backed by more fans than any other country in the tournament and are willing to elevate their game to whatever it takes to win. If you are not Canadian than i don't expect you to understand what i am talking about.

msm29

Was htsportplaya
Jul 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
An average US team? Top-end forwards were as good as any in the tournament. And the USA had the best goalie in hockey last year, bar none. Really the only thing average about it was their depth players, who no doubt excel in those roles anyway, so they had a leg up on the Russian's and Canadians who had superstars gunning the third and fourth lines.

Average in comparison, skill wise. I didn't say they weren't put together better than the Canadian team, but on paper the canucks should've beat the USA handily. Superstars or not, if their "heart" was that big they should handle anyone in the world, and I simply stated that they didn't.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
According to TSN, the crowds for games featuring Canada are expected to be ~90% Canadian fans.

There goes home ice advantage I guess.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I like Russia's schedule, they have stiff competition to begin with then end their last 2 games with Norway and Czech Republic which they will be practicing set-ups and what not as a team to improve, Canada will be ready for them, will be an awesome tournament, can't wait til puck drop.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As much as it pains me to say it, the stars appear aligned for another Canada march to gold. I'll hedge my bet and say the U.S. *can* win, but Campbell will have to be exceptional.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
What doesn't impress you about the U.S. roster?
I'm curious as well. It's shocked me as a Canadian to have had to come on here and defend Team USA as much as I have had to the past two weeks. I just don't know what people want to see from that roster before they give it the proper respect. I'm thinking another Canada U.S. final is in the works. Can't wait!

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
What doesn't impress you about the U.S. roster?

Defence is very average without Carlson & Fowler. This group will have a LOT of trouble with the Canadian forwards. About half of the forward group wouldnt even be considered to try out for the Canadian team. Guys like Morin, Palmieri, Kreider, Shore will be have to step up huge. Outside speed wont be as big a factor this year. Centre is a real weak position for them. This is where Canada will dominate IMO. Campbell is their best player and they will need him to be huge.

Of course, people will disagree but I just feel Carlson, Fowler, Stepan were the keys last yr. When I compare this roster to Canada, I'm just not impressed.

monsterswede

Dec 7, 2009
1:Sweden
2:Canada
3:USA

Sweden was better than Canada in the pregame a couple of days ago. But the lack of effectivity was obvious. If they solve that, say hello to gold :)

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

Sweden was better than Canada in the pregame a couple of days ago. But the lack of effectivity was obvious. If they solve that, say hello to gold :)

We always fail when it matters at junior level, especially against Canada.

I hope..

1: Sweden
2: Usa
3: Russia
4: Canada

But realistically..

1: Canada
2: Usa
3: Russia
4: Sweden/Finland/Czech Rep/Switzerland

Talus

Nov 2, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
the only teams that don't have a realistic chance are the

Swiss
Finns
Germans
Slovaks
Norway
The rest are legitimate contenders for a gold.

IMHO:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

That's not what the score says. It's not good enough to outshoot or outplay Canada. You actually have to beat them. I'm surprised that you haven't learned that lesson over the last 30 years of Sweden's goldless drought.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Russia will be strong IMO, players from Russia (KHL and MHL), only Bobkov from OHL.

Slovak webpage (webhokej24.sk) makes stats of players born in 90´s in KHL

there is last upgrade (before WJC camp)

1. Vladimír Tarasenko 16 pts (8+8)
2. Anatolij Nikontsev 16 (7+9)
3. Evgeny Kuznetsov 14 (9+5)
4. Maxim Chudinov 14 (6+8)
5. Artemy Panarin 12 (4+8)
6. Kirill Petrov 11 (5+6)
7. Vjačeslav Kulemin 10 (3+7)
8. Dmitry Orlov 10 (2+8)
9. Sergej Plotnikov 8 (4+4)
10. Maxim Kitsyn 7 (3+4)
11. Dmitrij Vyšnevskij 7 (1+6)

bold players are at WJC. IMO leaders are Orlov, Zaytsev in D and forvards Tarasenko, Kuznetsov (of course, we all know it), but I like Panarin, he plays for Cekhov.

I am suprised by Valuyski making team and Dman Grigoriev not making it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Defence is very average without Carlson & Fowler. This group will have a LOT of trouble with the Canadian forwards. About half of the forward group wouldnt even be considered to try out for the Canadian team. Guys like Morin, Palmieri, Kreider, Shore will be have to step up huge. Outside speed wont be as big a factor this year. Centre is a real weak position for them. This is where Canada will dominate IMO. Campbell is their best player and they will need him to be huge.

Of course, people will disagree but I just feel Carlson, Fowler, Stepan were the keys last yr. When I compare this roster to Canada, I'm just not impressed.

A ton of conjecture on your part, but that's why it's called an opinion I suppose. I guess you're coming from a CHL bias? Otherwise, I don't know why else you're saying the NCAA heavy d-core of the U.S. is going to have a lot of trouble (you're emphasis) with the Canadian forwards. As I see it, the U.S. has a nice blend of size, brawn, defensive acumen, speed, and puckmoving ability on the blueline. The Canadian "depth" argument is a tired one, especially at the junior level where the draft position of a prospect doesn't mean much. Center is fine, again I doubt you're familiar with the likes of Drew Shore and Charlie Coyle.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Gold - Canada
Silver - USA
Bronze - Russia/Finland (I have Finland upsetting Sweden in the quarters)

I think you're going to be very surprised with the US defense. Forbort is solid with a bit of a nasty streak, Leddy is developing nicely, and everything I've seen out of Merrill, Faulk and Dumoulin suggests that all 3 should have gone in the first round of their respective drafts. Honestly the one thing that has me not as confident about the US team is that Campbell is coming in cold. Last year he was absolutely lights out heading into the tournament.

Last edited:

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Its gonna be a tough call between Canada and the US. Both teams are talented, but Buffalo or not, I see Canada getting a decisive home ice advantage. Mix that with some feelings of revenge, and I think they take it

Gold: Canada
Silver: US
Bronze: Russia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad