Line Combos: So who will move to the wing?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Kontiola at first. Only one not to play center recently at the NHL level. He needs to be eased in. Santa is a good faceoff man.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd want Holland to stay at centre, in the hopes he develops more. We already know what we've got with those other, older players.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think trades are coming next.
I wouldn't feel Kadri/Lupul/Franson/Reimer are not involved.
Need to see what's at training camp.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Easily Kadri should move to the wing. Would like Holland to line up with Lupul and Clarkson for 82 games. At the end of the year if he isn't close to a 45-50 point player with a respectable plus-minus, I would be surprised.

Simple fact is Holland is too good for the AHL now, time to play him where he can succeed. Top 6. Up to him to succeed or fail. Gave up a lot for him to just let him languish with 6-7 mins a game.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Might be too much of an ask for Kontiola to come over from the big-ice and play center in the NHL. I'd much rather see Komarov - Santorelli - Kontiola as our 4th line and have Ashton/Leivo - Holland - Frattin as our 3rd line. That would be a really solid bottom 6. Frattin could also move up to play with Kadri, which I see is a very popular lineup on this board, if Clarkson falters again.

mikebel111*

Easily Kadri should move to the wing. Would like Holland to line up with Lupul and Clarkson for 82 games. At the end of the year if he isn't close to a 45-50 point player with a respectable plus-minus, I would be surprised.

Simple fact is Holland is too good for the AHL now, time to play him where he can succeed. Top 6. Up to him to succeed or fail. Gave up a lot for him to just let him languish with 6-7 mins a game.

Yup wing has worked well for Kadri before:facepalm:
And than when he can't produce on wing, you will say he is bad player
Holland or Santarelli to wing

Zero reason Kadri should move before Holland

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

So why set up Holland to succeed while setting up Kadri to fail?

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto

Simple fact is Kadri has been too good for the AHL for at least a season and a half, is younger, and has done more than Holland at every level of play. Kadri had to win a job as 2nd line C against Grabo in the lockout year; at times playing with Colton Orr. He had a decent season this year as well. Holland's going to have a chance to earn the 3rd line C spot in training camp against Santorelli and Kontiola. If he excels, he will get looks higher in the line-up when we need to shake things up. I think the competition will be good for his development.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Santorelli has played a lot on the wing and successfully. I also see Holland perhaps moving on the wing if he's scratching for ice time. Either one are likely to move on the wing. Kontiola I think is better suited down the middle because of his lack of aggression and physicality.

That RW spot next to our 2nd line center Kadri is wide open. There's going to be an audition for it, including Clarkson (duh) and Frattin in the mix. I really hope Clarkson can bounce back, but I could see Holland there too for some reason.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

Taking one of our more established centers and moving him to wing to allow someone who has never played center at the nhl level for a significant period of time before makes no sense at all. Poulin and Nonis see Holland in the bottom 6, even as a hybrid 4th line center for the time being and I agree that's where he should remain atleast for now.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Santorelli has played a lot on the wing and successfully. I also see Holland perhaps moving on the wing if he's scratching for ice time. Either one are likely to move on the wing. Kontiola I think is better suited down the middle because of his lack of aggression and physicality.

That RW spot next to our 2nd line center Kadri is wide open. There's going to be an audition for it, including Clarkson (duh) and Frattin in the mix. I really hope Clarkson can bounce back, but I could see Holland there too for some reason.

Kadri is not that strong on face-offs and Santorelli shoots RH and right wing is a weakness with only Kessel, Clarkson Frattin and Orr listed on that wing.

So I could see Lupul -- Kadri -- Santorelli forming a trio with Mike helping out in the face-off dot on his strong side or situationally and if Kadri gets tossed at times.

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
I think santo moves to RW from what I heard from Van fans he played RW almost exclusively last year and thieved. If its my team I make the lines

JVR / Bozak / Kessel
Lupul / Kadri / Santo or Frattin or trade return
Komo / Kontiola or Holland whoever shows best/ Clarkson
Ashton / See above / Frattin or Santo Bodie as the extra

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Santorelli played most of his Vancouver season where he was putting up those numbers on RW so I'd imagine him. We have a hole at RW anyways.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I like all the signings adding some real depth and versatility to our team... It looks like we will be scoring by committee next year.

I cant help but hope Nylander makes the team though...We could use his high end skill and speed.

It really looks like we are going to be a very quick team all the way through this year with Santa Komarov and Frattin coming in and Ashton and Bodie both being quick big men. Nylander would only add to that speed.

Im hoping Kadri-???-Nylander can be a line... I really think Kadri and Nylander on the wings of our second line with a big strong two way C is a good idea. Ive watched a ton of Kadri over the last 5 years and i think he would be better off the ball and chain he has to play in Carlyles system as a C.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yup wing has worked well for Kadri before:facepalm:
And than when he can't produce on wing, you will say he is bad player
Holland or Santarelli to wing

Zero reason Kadri should move before Holland

Why do you have so little confidence in Kadri? He was tried on wing years ago when he was truly young and not the 24 year old young veteran he will be beginning next season.

Kadri is weak down low, he is also not good on face-offs, thus we lose possession when he is entrusted with faceoffs. All good centres should be at least average in these areas if a team has designs on making the playoffs next year. I know some like to make things up that Kadri is good in these areas but he simply is not.

The best thing to do is put Kadri on the wing, where his weaknesses are not being exposed. I don't see why he can't do what ROR has done. His best season was on the wing. If one is truly a good hockey player they do not need excuses because good players can play anywhere in the lineup.

Did you see how many Centers played wing for Team Canada in the Olympics?

Holland's size and strength down low though is not outstanding is still better than Kadri's. As is his face off percentage last year. He deserves more than 6 to 7 mins a game with 4th liners don't you think? Nonis paid a high price for him, Leafs must think highly of him, they may designs on trying it. Or at least they will give Holland every opportunity to beat out Kadri for the #2C spot. It wouldn't surprise me if he may win it.

Maybe he can Center Kadri and Lupul next year, I don't think you are giving Holland and Kadri enough credit. Kadri could use the relief on the wing. It has been proven the more sheltered mins he has gotten the better he produces.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad