So, who is the favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stockwizard*

Now that all the teams are annouced, who would you put your money on to win.
It appears on paper Canada and Russia have the strongest teams followed by Sweden, Checkoslovakia, and the U.S.
I think the final game will come down to the best goaltending.
The safest pick here is Canada.
Would anyone care to comment?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
I would personally rank them this way. Not only based on player material but on "gut feeling". I think very few talk about the Czech team here, I'm pretty high on them and think they can surprise some people (well, the doubters that is).

1. Canada
2. Czech Republic
3. Sweden
4. USA
5. Finland
6. Russia
7. Slovakia
8. Germany

To say a team will not win because they lack that #1 defenseman etc is pretty pointless IMO. There are so many factors to consider and I expect these games to be really tight. A small defensive mistake, a bad call by the ref etc is enough for an "upset".

Flonaldo

stockwizard said:
...Checkoslovakia...
If there still was Czechoslovakia they definitely would be my odds-on favorites :) Now, both countries are reduced to middle of the pack teams. Canada is head and shoulders above the rest, amazing depth, game-breakers, goaltending - they have it all. Everyone else is lacking something in comparison with the canucks.

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Flonaldo said:
If there still was Czechoslovakia they definitely would be my odds-on favorites :) Now, both countries are reduced to middle of the pack teams. Canada is head and shoulders above the rest, amazing depth, game-breakers, goaltending - they have it all. Everyone else is lacking something in comparison with the canucks.
:speechles

stockwizard*

Sorry guys, I was in the middle of a workout when I started the Thread. All the blood was flowing out of my head.
Czech Republic. :)
Although canada is my favorite, I would only give them a slight advantage over the other teams because like Predatore says, a bad bounce or call could produce an upset in a one game final.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
On paper by position...

Goalies:

1. CAN
2. RUS
3. CZE
4. FIN
5. USA
6. SWE
7. SVK
8. GER

Defensemen:

1. CAN
2. SWE
3. USA
4. RUS
5. FIN
6. CZE
7. SVK
8. GER

Forwards:

1. CAN
2. SVK
3. SWE
4. USA
5. CZE
6. RUS
7. FIN
8. GER

As for the actual question, in overall...

See pucks bounce off skates, goalies screened for the right split second, teams take a few penalties more than usual and all that stuff. Anything can and will happen in a short tournament.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
If this tournament were to played in the same manner as the NHL playoffs, with a best of seven format then Canada would be picked by just about every sane person. This is though a one game knockout tournament and six or even seven teams have a ligitemate shot at winning it.

On paper, the best is obviously Canada followed by Russia and then Sweden.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Laituri said:
On paper by position...

Goalies:

1. CAN
2. RUS
3. CZE
4. FIN
5. USA
6. SWE
7. SVK
8. GER

Defensemen:

1. CAN
2. SWE
3. USA
4. RUS
5. FIN
6. CZE
7. SVK
8. GER

Forwards:

1. CAN
2. SVK
3. SWE
4. USA
5. CZE
6. RUS
7. FIN
8. GER

I'd rank Finnish defense above Russia, and goaltending above Czech, but mostly I agree.

stockwizard*

I really don't know why they don't have at least a best of three final.
Having one game is like playing one round of golf instead of four rounds to try to find a champion. Anyone can win.
I mean it wouldn't make that much difference to the players.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Laituri said:
On paper by position...

Goalies:

1. CAN
2. RUS
3. CZE
4. FIN
5. USA
6. SWE
7. SVK
8. GER

Defensemen:

1. CAN
2. SWE
3. USA
4. RUS
5. FIN
6. CZE
7. SVK
8. GER

Forwards:

1. CAN
2. SVK
3. SWE
4. USA
5. CZE
6. RUS
7. FIN
8. GER

Despite Lasak's stellar international record, I would rather have Kolzig than Lasak.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think on paper Canada is the definate favorite. A very well rounded roster without any holes. After them, it's a crapshoot. Every country has holes that can be exploited, and in a tournament like this, a few bounces here and there can mean the ouster of a prohibitive favorite. Every country with the exception of Germany has the potential to pull this one out IMO.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I prefer to not make any predictions. It never turns out the way I think it will anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->