So Who Goes TO Make Room?

Who gets moved out?

• Total voters

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Wait what?

You have BOTH Muzzin and Ceci injured in your mock lineup...

Obviously any team who lose two D will suffer. In any case, if both Muzzin and Ceci go down, you bring up Sandin or Lilijegren.
That's the lineups with with Ceci traded for cap room.....

UGLY.

How far will this team go with 2 raw rookies on D in the lineup?

EDIT I see you have Ceci on the bottom pairing.....my bad.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Marincin has played bad games as a Leaf. Against Columbus he set a gold standard for bad games. Bye Bye, once and for all!!!

Reactions: Cobra777

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Why is he even an option in the poll....

You seem to be having a great deal of difficulty with this and it’s really not that hard.

I put names that were options, not who I believed should be sent down, and contrary to what most believe, Mik is an option as I believe he is waiver exempt (correct me if I’m wrong).

If you don’t agree with the option, don’t vote for him, like everyone else, including myself, have done.

Reactions: ACC1224

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Can't see Spezza getting cut. It's one thing to sit him on opening night, it's another thing to send him to the Marlies 15 games into the season. Not a good look. Hasn't been that bad. I think he's good enough for the extra forward position.

Gravel, Marincin, Petan and Shore. Pretty easy. Though, Shore may not make it through waivers. He's on the fringe. A good depth center that can play NHL minutes might be enticing.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Capmageddon is here: Which four players should the Maple...
Siegel: Well, I think we can immediately knock off a couple guys who haven’t played much: Nic Petan and Kevin Gravel.

Now, we need two more from a group that includes Nick Shore, Jason Spezza, Martin Marincin, and Dmytro Timashov.
If I’m the Leafs and I’ve watched Timashov the first couple weeks, there’s no way I’m risking him getting claimed on waivers. He only just turned 23 this month. And he’s cheap – $694,444 – and an RFA next summer.

So that means two from Shore, Spezza and Marincin. Who ya got?

Mirtle: I thought you were going to take a stand here. Jeez. Fine, I’m on it.

Agreed Petan (who’s on the trade block) and Gravel are goners. That gets them down to needing roughly another $1.25-million in space and having a 23-man roster.

Given all these players are right around league minimum salary ($700K), that means two more have to go in order to be compliant.

Let’s rank the other options in terms of likelihood they get claimed on waivers:

1. Timashov (probably given his age and point production early this season)
2. Shore?
3. Spezza
4. Marincin

The easiest thing to do would probably be to waive Marincin and one of Spezza or Shore. But that leaves you with only six defencemen and there’s a big road trip coming in a couple weeks. (Viva Las Vegas…)

So, are they stuck keeping Marincin and losing all three of their extra forwards here? That seems… ungood.
Siegel: A few things…

1. I think you’ve got a point on Hyman. The earliest Tavares is probably back is Nov. 2 in Philadelphia. That’s only three games from now, including a back-to-back on the weekend with San Jose and Montreal. In other words, Hyman isn’t missing that much more time if he waits a little longer to align with Tavares.

That said, the Leafs said a minimum of two weeks for his broken finger. What if it’s longer?

2. As much as Shore looks mighty useful and important right now, once Tavares and Hyman return, he’s probably out of the lineup. Either him or Timashov anyway. Here’s how I imagine the lines looking:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Timashov-Gauthier-Moore

So as much as losing Shore would hurt, the Leafs can probably can get on fine without him. Spezza would also be around, potentially, if they needed another faceoff guy up front.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Spezza, Petan, Shore, Marincin

Petan $775k
Shore $750k
Spezza $700k
One of Gravel/Marincin $700k

Total $2,925,000

Hyman $2.225 m
Dermott $863k

Total $3,088,000

Not enough, unless I'm missing something.

Perhaps because the season has started and players have already been paid a portion of their salaries, it will work out .....???

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Petan $775k
Shore $750k
Spezza $700k

Total $2,925,000

Hyman $2.225 m
Dermott $863k

Total $3,088,000

Perhaps because the season has started and players have already been paid a portion of their salaries, it will work out .....???
If I'm reading Cap Friendly correctly they presently have 380,350 in cap space so that would work with your model above.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Petan $775k
Shore $750k
Spezza $700k

Total $2,925,000

Hyman $2.225 m
Dermott $863k

Total $3,088,000

I don't think the leafs get relief from Spezza due to his age. So I think we need to add Gravel and Marincin

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I wish there was a way to turn our depth at forward into a capable backup that could play 25-30 games and give us reliable goaltending no matter who is in net.

I was still shocked when we let McBackup go. Nice guy Dubas gave Sparks a great shot and it was an error.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think the leafs get relief from Spezza due to his age. So I think we need to add Gravel and Marincin

I think you're right unfortunately
What is a 35-plus contract?

If a player signs a multi-year contract and is age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the year of the effective contract), the players individual cap hit counts against the teams cap hit regardless of whether, or where, the player is active. However, there is one circumstance in which there is a cap hit reduction, a team will receive a $100,000 relief off of the teams salary cap hit, if a player is playing in the minor leagues after the first year of their contract.

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I believe that means we're stuck with him unless we deal him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Bobby MAc speculates Gravel for Dermott on Monday almost a lock
then Petan Marincin and maybe Spezza for Hyman
He thinks Timo and Shore stay in but either could replace Spezza
and Holl has played himself on team as 6th with Dermott
so team only carries 1 extra forward per game

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think you're right unfortunately
What is a 35-plus contract?

If a player signs a multi-year contract and is age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the year of the effective contract), the players individual cap hit counts against the teams cap hit regardless of whether, or where, the player is active. However, there is one circumstance in which there is a cap hit reduction, a team will receive a $100,000 relief off of the teams salary cap hit, if a player is playing in the minor leagues after the first year of their contract.

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I believe that means we're stuck with him unless we deal him.

I think they might be fine because it's only a one year contract.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Bobby MAc speculates Gravel for Dermott on Monday almost a lock
then Petan Marincin and maybe Spezza for Hyman
He thinks Timo and Shore stay in but either could replace Spezza
and Holl has played himself on team as 6th with Dermott
so team only carries 1 extra forward per game
Do we really want to keep Shore over Spezza? That's kind of a bad look for future FA's. It's only been a dozen games. Honestly, I think Spezza is still better than Shore, it's just been a small sample size. If we give him up now to save Shore, they probably won't get him back. I think if Spezza is going a trade for a late pick is possible, if not he would have to be a lock to go on waivers. I think it's possible to slide Shore through and Nick Shore in the AHL causes less of a fuss than trying to send Spezza there.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Do we really want to keep Shore over Spezza? That's kind of a bad look for future FA's. It's only been a dozen games. Honestly, I think Spezza is still better than Shore, it's just been a small sample size. If we give him up now to save Shore, they probably won't get him back. I think if Spezza is going a trade for a late pick is possible, if not he would have to be a lock to go on waivers. I think it's possible to slide Shore through and Nick Shore in the AHL causes less of a fuss than trying to send Spezza there.
I like Spezza too. This was Bobby Mc taking. I don't think anyone knows what babs will do. maybe he has not made up his mind yet. but everyone seems to say it is a 3 for 1 with Hyman and a 1 for 1 with Dermy. So 4 guys out and 2 guys in. Spezza on a 1 year deal so CAP rules are different on 1 year deals.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I think they might be fine because it's only a one year contract.

Yeah, the 2nd and later years of mult-year 35+ contracts stay on the cap even if they aren't on the roster.

Plekeanec with the Habs last year is an example of this. He retired after a few games and the Habs weren't on the hook for his cap hit.

Reactions: Buds17

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
7 goals and 2 assists is not lighting it up for a generation centre and 2nd highest paid player. Neal has 9 goals and McDavid has 17 points. Rielly and Marner have more points and have not been at their best.

McD and Drai are lighting it up and carrying the Oil. Matty has been invisible some nights. Definitely off to slower start than last year even after fast start in game 1.
Absolutely Tone!

Reactions: ToneDog

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
How about something like this.

Stars get: Johnsson, Schmaltz. Aberg

Leafs get: Anton Khudobin, rights to Julius Honka, Jason Robertson

Leafs save about $900K on the cap, allowing for one more spare player to be kept. They get a reliable G backup, a RD who wants out out Dallas and can't play in the NHL this season without clearing waivers, but still has some upside potential for next year's cap crunch. Plus get a LW prospect to kick the ball down the road as a cheap ELC replacement on LW when the current LW's need to get paid.

Dallas gets Johnsson, plus a RD who would be on their roster right now. And a RW buried behind depth here, but had 19 points in 37 games for the Ducks last season, and is still an RFA.
Don't know all the players involved but I'm not an AJ fan so I'm in lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->