So Who Goes TO Make Room?

Who gets moved out?

• Total voters

kb

Aug 28, 2009
For me the battle is between Shore and Spezza. Marincin, Petan, and Gravel all gone.

Reactions: Cobra777

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That move would essentially guarantee he misses an entire month of action.

LTIR requires you to miss a minimum number of games and days.

What is LTIR?

When a player has an injury of which they are expected to miss a minimum of 10 NHL games and 24 days in the NHL season, the team can place them on long term injured reserve (LTIR). LTIR can be used to exceed the salary cap. LTIR is a very complicated aspect of the NHL operations and the vast majority of details are not specified in the CBA.

When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did. It also does not provide the club with additional cap-space savings that can be banked for future use while the team operates above the salary cap. Instead, LTIR provides relief if the club's averaged club salary, or payroll, begins to exceed the upper limit. The amount of relief that the club receives is calculated on the day the player is placed on LTIR. There are three equations that are used to determine the LTIR relief, the first, the basic equation, can be used during the season and during the off-season. The second, the training-camp equation, can be used on the final day of the off-season in preparation for the first day of the season. The third formula is used when the team already has a player on LTIR.

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

FWIW, LTIRing Tavares would mean he misses 11 games. Eligible to next play on Nov 13th against the Islanders.

Reactions: Keon1963

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Petan Hutch and a 7th. For Anton Forsberg. P. S. As you all are talking you can even expand that to kap for our first back.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Yep. I assume he'll go back down when Dermott comes back. If it takes another 2 weeks before Dermott is cleared, Gravel may have to clear waivers again since it'll be 30 days (I think?)
Dermott is scheduled back on Saturday so there will be a decision made one way or another this week.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Really only 8 votes for Gravel? The guy who has already cleared waivers so don't require waivers again. You think they're going to waive Marincin or Holl before him? Unlikely as much as people want to hate Marincin.

With Tavares hurt they'll have to go 13F/6D with Tavares as the extra. So basically everyone not currently playing games has to go. Then 2 more who Dermott and Hyman replace. Gravel, and Petan are automatic. Don't require waivers unless Hyman's return is later than expected. Then probably Marincin and Shore. But the last could be Spezza if both parties want to cut bait.

Gravel wasn't included on the poll until after many had voted. I just went back and edited my choices to include him.

Agreed. I goofed on the original Poll and added him hours later.

<facepalm>

Monday morning strikes again....

Reactions: kb

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Rumour is the Leafs are trying to trade Petan...if that's possible, that might be good. He could get a better opportunity on a team with less talent in front of him (like Leivo in Vancouver), and we don't just lose him on waivers for nothing potentially. Will a team bite though, knowing Toronto's situation? Probably not...?

I'd go with the following healthy roster at the moment:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Timashov - Shore - Moore
Ex. Spezza

Muzzin - Barrie
Rielly - Ceci
Dermott - Holl

Andersen
Hutchinson

Not sure if that fits under cap, or if there is room for more, but I doubt it.

I almost wonder if Dubas is exploring trading Ceci? I mean, I'm sure it has crossed his mind, but I wonder if he'd be able to fetch any sort of return...if not, even get rid of him without giving up major assets? That would be huge, because frankly, Ceci has been awful alongside Rielly. Maybe with a more stable guy like Muzzin he could survive as a #4, but he's in over his head playing with Rielly, who is a bit of a rogue, free-wheeling defender, without sufficient defensive skills of his own. I'd be much more comfortable shifting Dermott into the top 4, even though he's a lefty (he's played RD more of his life anyways).

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
The easy choice for me is: Spezza, Petan, Gravel, Marincin.

But it gets more complicated when you want Dermott replacing Ceci in the top-4.

Rielly - Dermott*
Muzzin - Barrie

OR

Rielly - Muzzin * (Muzzin is our best defensive D-man by far)
Dermott - Barrie

That leaves you with Ceci and Holl whom are both RHD, which is an issue :/

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I do not profess to be a capologist, but don't the Leafs need to demote five players to accommodate Dermott, Hyman and Tavares?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Rumour is the Leafs are trying to trade Petan...if that's possible, that might be good. He could get a better opportunity on a team with less talent in front of him (like Leivo in Vancouver), and we don't just lose him on waivers for nothing potentially. Will a team bite though, knowing Toronto's situation? Probably not...?

I'd go with the following healthy roster at the moment:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Timashov - Shore - Moore
Ex. Spezza

Muzzin - Barrie
Rielly - Ceci
Dermott - Holl

Andersen
Hutchinson

Not sure if that fits under cap, or if there is room for more, but I doubt it.

I almost wonder if Dubas is exploring trading Ceci? I mean, I'm sure it has crossed his mind, but I wonder if he'd be able to fetch any sort of return...if not, even get rid of him without giving up major assets? That would be huge, because frankly, Ceci has been awful alongside Rielly. Maybe with a more stable guy like Muzzin he could survive as a #4, but he's in over his head playing with Rielly, who is a bit of a rogue, free-wheeling defender, without sufficient defensive skills of his own. I'd be much more comfortable shifting Dermott into the top 4, even though he's a lefty (he's played RD more of his life anyways).
It should fit.

But other teams don't care about the Leafs cap situation when looking at the Leafs players. They look at themselves and where the fit is, and their own cap situation. Then they trade, or not. Colorado played ball with the Leafs to make sure we could fit Kerfoot and Barrie in. They didn't try to squeeze. They just paid the price to get what they wanted.

Again with trading Ceci. Draw up a lineup without him, and then draw a lineup without him that suffers even one injury to the remaining top four.

Ceci is not being traded people.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The easy choice for me is: Spezza, Petan, Gravel, Marincin.

But it gets more complicated when you want Dermott replacing Ceci in the top-4.

Rielly - Dermott*
Muzzin - Barrie

OR

Rielly - Muzzin * (Muzzin is our best defensive D-man by far)
Dermott - Barrie

That leaves you with Ceci and Holl whom are both RHD, which is an issue :/
The Leafs D just got way worse either way. Muzzin has never ever played on the right, and Dermott has never played top 4, and is coming off a major injury, plus rust.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
The Leafs D just got way worse either way. Muzzin has never ever played on the right, and Dermott has never played top 4, and is coming off a major injury, plus rust.

If Muzzin can't play right as you said, then it'll be Rielly. Rielly obviously is at his best on the left, but Muzzin-Rielly* >>> Rielly-Ceci as the shut-down pair. Ceci does not belong anywhere near a 'shut-down' pair. Why put him in that usage, when he can be effective with easier usage.

Dermott has been ready for top-4 for a very, long time now.

Let him ease his way back in on the bottom pair, and then into the top-4 soon (after he shows he's back to his normal self):
Muzzin - Rielly*
Dermott - Barrie

is much better than

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie

Not using our best defensive D-man (by far) in Muzzin on the 'shut-down' pair should be a crime lol and makes zero sense.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kapanen traded for pick/s gets $100K in the positive just by trading him. $3.2M out $3.1 in that may be the best option, catch is what is his value anything less than a 2nd bare minimum and its 100% not worth it

I have a hard time seeing Dubas just go and move Kapanen for a pick or two after giving up a 1st to keep the roster intact this summer.

Reactions: Buds17

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If Muzzin can't play right as you said, then it'll be Rielly. Rielly obviously is at his best on the left, but Muzzin-Rielly* >>> Rielly-Ceci as the shut-down pair. Ceci does not belong anywhere near a 'shut-down' pair. Why put him in that usage, when he can be effective with easier usage.

Dermott has been ready for top-4 for a very, long time now.

Let him ease his way back in on the bottom pair, and then into the top-4 soon (after he shows he's back to his normal self):
Muzzin - Rielly*
Dermott - Barrie

is much better than

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
It's not. And now do the bottom pairing.

And then draw up the whole D core if they even get one injury to the top 4.

Rielly - Dermott
Marincin - Barrie
Gravel - Holl
extra.

Thank god the Carolina pic is lotto protected, But hey, they kept all their wingers!

Maybe one of the precious wingers can play D instead.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
7 goals and 2 assists is not lighting it up for a generation centre and 2nd highest paid player. Neal has 9 goals and McDavid has 17 points. Rielly and Marner have more points and have not been at their best.

McD and Drai are lighting it up and carrying the Oil. Matty has been invisible some nights. Definitely off to slower start than last year even after fast start in game 1.

You honestly think that a guy whose currently scoring a a 63 goal pace isnt "lightening it up"?

Reactions: kb

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
It's not. And now do the bottom pairing.

And then draw up the whole D core if they even get one injury to the top 4.

Rielly - Dermott
Marincin - Barrie
Gravel - Holl
extra.

Thank god the Carolina pic is lotto protected, But hey, they kept all their wingers!

Maybe one of the precious wingers can play D instead.

Wait what?

You have BOTH Muzzin and Ceci injured in your mock lineup...

Obviously any team who lose two D will suffer. In any case, if both Muzzin and Ceci go down, you bring up Sandin or Lilijegren.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leafidelity

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
nylander

in all seriousness, spezza is garbage time for him to leave.
marincin is garbage
and petan who im not sure is garbage because he never plays

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hyman Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Matthews Nylander
Moore Kerfoot Kapanen
Timashov Gauthier Shore
Petan

Muzzin Barrie
Rielly Dermott
Sandin Liljegren
Marincin

Andersen

Spezza and Ceci and Hutchinson need to go; Johnsson for a top 6 RHD.

Reactions: Cobra777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad