So Who Goes TO Make Room?

Who gets moved out?

• Total voters

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Petan, as Friedman has indicated.
Gravel, has already cleared waivers and hasn’t played.
I think those two are locks.

Not so sure ....
Spezza may be saved for now because of Tavares’s injury.
So more likely Shore.
Holl

Not Timo, I think. Babcock has trusted him with ice time at key points recently and the fourth line is performing better than many of us expected. I doubt Babcock will mess with them.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I wish there was a way to turn our depth at forward into a capable backup that could play 25-30 games and give us reliable goaltending no matter who is in net.

Something like Ceci and Kappy for a borderline starter making maybe a bit too much money and a bottom 6 winger with some jam.

I would love to see how this team looks with a Rask/Halak type combo. I think where the payoff would really come is in the playoffs when Andy would be rested. Also if Freddy goes down for any length of time the season is FUBAR.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I wish there was a way to turn our depth at forward into a capable backup that could play 25-30 games and give us reliable goaltending no matter who is in net.

Something like Ceci and Kappy for a borderline starter making maybe a bit too much money and a bottom 6 winger with some jam.

I would love to see how this team looks with a Rask/Halak type combo. I think where the payoff would really come is in the playoffs when Andy would be rested. Also if Freddy goes down for any length of time the season is FUBAR.

Until Willie and Matty start lighting up the scoreboard I do not think we can afford to give up an AJ or Kappy in order to beef up our backup. Better option is to use a forward to upgrade the D IMO.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Really don’t care about possession numbers dude, especially when discussing 4th line players. Both players could go and I wouldn’t lose any sleep but it’s quite clear Spezza is finished at this level and more importantly doesn’t fit the role Babcock wants out his 4th line centre.
Of course you don't care because it doesn't suit your argument lol. None of the "Spezza is finished" crowd actually has a real argument showing that his play has dropped off significantly.

Spezza was great for Dallas in last year's playoffs and he's solid depth to have in the playoffs when everything is tight and depth scoring makes a huge difference, plus guys getting injured. You'd think getting annihilated in bottom six matchups by the likes of Charlie Coyle, Sean Kuraly and Riley Nash over the last two years would give people a clue.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Until Willie and Matty start lighting up the scoreboard I do not think we can afford to give up an AJ or Kappy in order to beef up our backup. Better option is to use a forward to upgrade the D IMO.

I think the difference between AJ/Kappy and the guys knocking on the door (Korshkov/Engvall) is smaller than the massive dropoff from Freddy to Hutch. Don't like having all our eggs in one basket in net. It hasn't worked for us for 3 years. Freddie can't be asked to play 65 games and go deep in the playoffs it's a recipe for failure.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I thought Spezza looked really good with a couple of fast guys on his wings. He still has the hands and the IQ. League minimum too.

I didn't notice him, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but that 3rd line is supposed to be able to generate some offense and be noticeable.

His value, at best, is to be the Tavares fill-in and to provide a RH faceoff option... Everything Shore can likely do but in a 36 year-old declining body.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Gravel, Petan, Shore are gone. Shore and Gravel to Marlies for depth, Petan traded for a mid to late round pick.

That being said, my lineup would be as follows when Hyman and Dermott return.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Micheyev-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Timashov-Gauthier-Moore
Spezza

Reilly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl
Marincin

Andersen
Hutchison

Pretty sure the cap doesn't work... You'd have to send down one of Marincin or Spezza.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
This was my thought as well. Does the roster fit under the Cap with these 4 waived?
I think just barely.

Capfriendly.com says we currently have $380K in LTIR relief which if combined with the four mentioned above gives just enough room to fit Hyman and Dermott but it is damn close.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think the difference between AJ/Kappy and the guys knocking on the door (Korshkov/Engvall) is smaller than the massive dropoff from Freddy to Hutch. Don't like having all our eggs in one basket in net. It hasn't worked for us for 3 years. Freddie can't be asked to play 65 games and go deep in the playoffs it's a recipe for failure.

You make lots of sense. Korsh had goals in 5 straight games for the Marlies and they are calling him Scoreshkov. He is definitely trending in the right direction. Engvall looked better in last year's camp so I am not sure about him. I think Agostino is the next man up though.

Reactions: Marshy

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Petan and Gravel already cleared waivers recently so they're waiver exempt to be sent to the Marlies.

2 more guy need to go and it will be 1 Forward and that is likely Spezza that gets waived (as Shore has been much better and a better fit) and the Dman will be Holl or Marincin and because Dermott plays on the left side it more likely to be Marincin that gets waived as well.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Wait, Matthews is not lighting up the scoreboard? He's like our main offensive driver right now (especially at ES), and Nylander is not far behind.

He's in the 25 in the NHL in points and is 2nd in goals.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Of course you don't care because it doesn't suit your argument lol. None of the "Spezza is finished" crowd actually has a real argument showing that his play has dropped off significantly.

Spezza was great for Dallas in last year's playoffs and he's solid depth to have in the playoffs when everything is tight and depth scoring makes a huge difference, plus guys getting injured. You'd think getting annihilated in bottom six matchups by the likes of Charlie Coyle, Sean Kuraly and Riley Nash over the last two years would give people a clue.

It’s called watching the games where it’s clear to see that the guy just can’t keep up at the NHL level anymore. All I saw against the Bruins was attempted toe drags and giveaways. Again, our coach is obsessed with roles and Babcock doesn’t want an offensive minded 4th line centre he can’t trust.

Spezza isn’t the answer to a Coyle or Kuraly either, I don’t mind keeping him around but if someone has to go and he’s the guy so be it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kapanen traded to Minnesota for Jordan Greenway... one player goes down, probably Petan, and we end up with a 23 man roster, and $1 mil in cap space.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Tavares on LTIR retroactively so we don't have to make moves until he is back.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Tavares on LTIR retroactively so we don't have to make moves until he is back.

That move would essentially guarantee he misses an entire month of action.

LTIR requires you to miss a minimum number of games and days.

What is LTIR?

When a player has an injury of which they are expected to miss a minimum of 10 NHL games and 24 days in the NHL season, the team can place them on long term injured reserve (LTIR). LTIR can be used to exceed the salary cap. LTIR is a very complicated aspect of the NHL operations and the vast majority of details are not specified in the CBA.

When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did. It also does not provide the club with additional cap-space savings that can be banked for future use while the team operates above the salary cap. Instead, LTIR provides relief if the club's averaged club salary, or payroll, begins to exceed the upper limit. The amount of relief that the club receives is calculated on the day the player is placed on LTIR. There are three equations that are used to determine the LTIR relief, the first, the basic equation, can be used during the season and during the off-season. The second, the training-camp equation, can be used on the final day of the off-season in preparation for the first day of the season. The third formula is used when the team already has a player on LTIR.

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Dermott will replace Marincin. (THANK GOD!)
Hyman will replace Petan.

21 man roster once all the injuries are all healed.

Mikheyev-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Moore-Spezza-Goat

Reilly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl
Sandin (on NHL roster but loaned to Marlies for cap purposes)

Leafs have to be as close to the max as possible to maximize LTIR and to be able to use emergency callups.

This 21 man roster leaves the Leafs with $3,114 in cap space.

Reactions: Cobra777

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Wait, Matthews is not lighting up the scoreboard? He's like our main offensive driver right now (especially at ES), and Nylander is not far behind.

He's in the 25 in the NHL in points and is 2nd in goals.
7 goals and 2 assists is not lighting it up for a generation centre and 2nd highest paid player. Neal has 9 goals and McDavid has 17 points. Rielly and Marner have more points and have not been at their best.

McD and Drai are lighting it up and carrying the Oil. Matty has been invisible some nights. Definitely off to slower start than last year even after fast start in game 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cobra777

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Problem is the D depth is non existent too. If they trade Ceci and even get 1 injury in the top 4? That's big time trouble.

I'd try something like Petan for one of Oskar Dansk, Anthony Stolarz, Eric Comrie, or Anton Forsberg.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
7 goals and 2 assists is not lighting it up for a generation centre and 2nd highest paid player. Neal has 9 goals and McDavid has 17 points. Rielly and Marner have more points and have not been at their best.

McD and Drai are lighting it up and carrying the Oil. Matty has been invisible some nights. Definitely off to slower start than last year even after fast start in game 1.
Normally I'd get angry with such a comment but we're in the era of Matthews being a top-5 paid player. He's got to get those point totals up, no way around it.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

Spezza has dropped off significantly in the past 2 years.

5v5:
15-16: 2.15 pts/60
16-17: 1.89 pts/60
17-18: 1.02 pts/60
18-19: 1.03 pts/60

The past 2 years, his production at 5v5 has been worse than Gauthier's last year. He was a healthy scratch multiple times within the past 2 years. He's still a great powerplay guy and wins faceoffs, but poor outside of that.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Friedman expects up to 4 moves to make room for Dermott and Hyman.

So who goes? Choose up to 4.

Interested to see how we do. :)

Friedman is a quiet genius and an elite insider. If he says there's up to 4 on the move then I am all over that.

;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad