So Who Goes TO Make Room?

Who gets moved out?

• Total voters

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Kapanen traded for pick/s gets $100K in the positive just by trading him. $3.2M out $3.1 in that may be the best option, catch is what is his value anything less than a 2nd bare minimum and its 100% not worth it

I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 1st or equivalent value right now. Maybe 2 2nd's, which may be slightly less value than a 1st but still acceptable.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 1st or equivalent value right now. Maybe 2 2nd's, which may be slightly less value than a 1st but still acceptable.

yeah I agree, it would solve a lot of issues for us moving him out we'd essentially be able to keep a ~22 man roster I think at the very least keep more players around. But the value has to be right and a lot of teams will know that and try lowballing

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Spezza, Petan, Shore, "Other" (aka Gravel, who should be listed here over Moore, Mikheyev and Gauthier).

Those are the worst players on the roster. Trade Petan for a 7th, waive/send down the rest. Leaves Marincin/Holl as the 6/7 and Timashov as a top 12 player (which he has earned thus far) full time... At least for now.

Only other alternative would be to trade Timashov for a mid-round pick and keep Spezza/Shore. No way we should be waiving Timashov in favour of Spezza or Shore right now, not even for the BS LH/RH faceoff stuff.

Reactions: Cobra777

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
yeah I agree, it would solve a lot of issues for us moving him out we'd essentially be able to keep a ~22 man roster I think at the very least keep more players around. But the value has to be right and a lot of teams will know that and try lowballing

I don't think having a full roster really matters all that much. Sure it would be nice to have Spezza/Shore on hand as the 13th forward full time, but I'm hardly rushing to make a below average deal with a key role player to make that happen.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I think Gravel likely gets sent down as well.

Marancin, Gravel, Spezza and Petan

To be fair, I believe Petan has already been told they're trying to move him to a team with a better fit.

This was my thought as well. Does the roster fit under the Cap with these 4 waived?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't think having a full roster really matters all that much. Sure it would be nice to have Spezza/Shore on hand as the 13th forward full time, but I'm hardly rushing to make a below average deal with a key role player to make that happen.

no, im not advocating that, a 1st or 2x 2nds would be a good deal though and you'd have to seriously consider it due to space and is kappy a luxury really

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Gravel and Petan sent down because they don't need waivers for a bit.

Spezza gets traded to another team, Shore gets waived.

Marincin remains as the extra and Holl plays with Dermott.

Reactions: Ciao

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Petan and Gravel already cleared waivers so doesn't that mean they can be sent down without losing them? Marincin always clears. And I don't think Shore would be a huge loss but I also don't think he would get claimed anyway. So there's 4. I chose Spezza on the poll but only because Gravel wasn't an option. So if they all clear waivers does that clear enough cap?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I suppose they could trade Hyman.

After all, he may be too gritty for Dubas' liking. :sarcasm:

I wonder if his knee injury will affect his game? if he cant bang and crash then he is useless, if they notice in practice he cant do those things selling high (ish) may be a prudent move

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Gravel, Petan, Shore are gone. Shore and Gravel to Marlies for depth, Petan traded for a mid to late round pick.

That being said, my lineup would be as follows when Hyman and Dermott return.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Micheyev-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Timashov-Gauthier-Moore
Spezza

Reilly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl
Marincin

Andersen
Hutchison

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
On HNIC, it was stated that Petan has been promised a trade if ticketed for demotion. I don't get it. He's been on waivers already. It's not great to have disgruntled players kicking around but I don't believe an organization needs to be so accommodating that trades can be forced by marginal players. I think the marginal guys should be treated better than the league average which MLSE is already doing (i.e. Petan is receiving guaranteed NHL money for the next two years, excellent facilities). And it's short sighted for players like Petan: an injury or two and he could be playing every night for several weeks with some pretty good linemates to build up his value.

For the thread theme:

Once Dermott and Hyman are added and there are no other injuries, subtract Petan, Shore, Spezza, Gravel and Holl. Marincin's versatility trumps Holl's decent play of late which is highly sheltered. If one more can be kept, keep Holl as a RHD has the most value.

edit: The team can keep both Holl and Marincin with no extra forwards.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Gravel, Petan, Shore are gone. Shore and Gravel to Marlies for depth, Petan traded for a mid to late round pick.

That being said, my lineup would be as follows when Hyman and Dermott return.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Micheyev-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Timashov-Gauthier-Moore
Spezza

Reilly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl
Marincin

Andersen
Hutchison

I'd be fine with that (or subbing in Shore for Spezza) but unfortunately that roster isn't cap compliant.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Think I'm a bit more certain about Petan and Gravel. Then, two out of Shore, Spezza and Marincin, depending on whether they want the spare to be a forward or d-man. Slightly lower cap hits in comparison to the aforementioned players should help to further benefit the likes of Timashov, Gauthier and Holl.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The key number for the roster is 21 (only 1 spare player) to be cap compliant. There's no way to have 22 on the roster without a trade or demoting a veteran like Ceci or another veteran going on the LTIR.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Spezza can go. I’m sure he’s great in the room and all that but he can’t play anymore. Shore isn’t a world beater but I’d rather keep him around between the two as he can at least keep up with the play.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Am I the only one who likes Spezza lol? Feel like he's getting really underrated. His underlying numbers have also been very good and he clearly still has skill/hands.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Spezza can go. I’m sure he’s great in the room and all that but he can’t play anymore. Shore isn’t a world beater but I’d rather keep him around between the two as he can at least keep up with the play.
Find it funny you say this when Shore got absolutely caved in against the Bruins. Shore actually had the worst possession numbers on the team that game (20%....), while Spezza led the team at 62%.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Find it funny you say this when Shore got absolutely caved in against the Bruins. Shore actually had the worst possession numbers on the team that game (20%....), while Spezza led the team at 62%.

Really don’t care about possession numbers dude, especially when discussing 4th line players. Both players could go and I wouldn’t lose any sleep but it’s quite clear Spezza is finished at this level and more importantly doesn’t fit the role Babcock wants out his 4th line centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad