Speculation: So Who Gets Recalled: Dumoulin, Despres or Harrington?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
With Scuderi out, someone will be recalled. My vote is Dumoulin, and here's why:

Aside from just performance, because they have all been pretty good, Despres has had the experience of being in the NHL and knowing what it takes. Considering Dumo will probably be a big part of our near and hopefully long-term future on the blue-line, I'd like to give him the opportunity to get a taste of what it's like to play in the NHL.

Now, if Scuderi ends up being out for excessively long and Dumo doesn't play particularly great (even though I think he is ready to make an impact), even calling him up for a couple of weeks, and then sending him down in exchange for Despres would still provide Dumo with that experience.

Who would you guys, especially those who have watched a lot of WBS, call up if Scuderi is out for at least the next few games?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I also doubt the recall Dumoulin or Despres. They will call up someone else to be a warm body and that's it.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I think theyll play bortuzzo. Engelland slides back to 7th.
If they call someone up i think it will be Despres or mikkelson. I would like to see dumo get the call, but on a 3 game losing streak i see them go for a player with experience.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
None.

Orpik/Martin-Letang
Orpik/Martin-Niskanen
Maata-Bortuzzo

I don't ever want to see Engelland start on D ever again though so perhaps bringing up a #7 D isn't a bad idea and that guy would be Mikkelson for me.

Let Despres and Dumoulin play in WBS until Niskanen is finally healthy scratched or dealt.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No one, Bortuzzo should be in now. The pairings should be...

Orpik, Martin
Maatta, Letang
Niskanen, Bortuzzo

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
No Despres, Dumoulin or Harrington. We have

Letang-Niskanen
Martin-Orpik
Maatta-Bort

Engo as a 7th D in a pressbox is just fine right now.

Someone needs to be recalled though, and it should be Brian Gibbons.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
No one should be. Bortuzzo should be back in the lineup and Engelland should be a 7th D-man.

Of course if we managed to trade Nisky and/or Orpik (hahaha) before the next game, then it would be a topic.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
There were 8 Dmen on the roster before Scuds got injured. No one is getting called up.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
All of them. Shero's dream line up.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Jokinen-Malkin-Engelland
Glass-Sutter-Adams
Despres-Harrington-Dumoulin

Letang-Orpik
Niskanen-Martin
Bortuzzo-Mattaa

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I would go Despres. Better than Dumo in all respects, imo, and Harrington isn't getting a ton of ice time in WBS so far. Harrington has been Ok so far. Nothing great. But as mentioned, his playing time has been limited. Dumolin, imo, is just an average prospect. The only thing I think he has over previous guys like Strait or Lovejoy is his height. Other than that he is a fairly mobile dmen, not real gritty, or offensively gifted.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I would go Despres. Better than Dumo in all respects, imo, and Harrington isn't getting a ton of ice time in WBS so far. Harrington has been Ok so far. Nothing great. But as mentioned, his playing time has been limited. Dumolin, imo, is just an average prospect. The only thing I think he has over previous guys like Strait or Lovejoy is his height. Other than that he is a fairly mobile dmen, not real gritty, or offensively gifted.

How has Despres looked in WBS?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
How has Despres looked in WBS?

Very solid. You can tell he has that "go north immediately" mindset still stamped in his brain. Despres no sooner gets the puck in his own zone and he instantly spots a forward up ice, and delivers the pass. With good results too, as his reads have been good. He isn't forcing passes just to quickly advance.

He definitely looks very poised in the A, and very confident.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
My answer is no one considering Engelland is playing wing, and Bort has been in the press box.

Now, if someone had to be called up to take his spot I'd go with Dumolin because he plays a closer style to Scuderi than Despres.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Very solid. You can tell he has that "go north immediately" mindset still stamped in his brain. Despres no sooner gets the puck in his own zone and he instantly spots a forward up ice, and delivers the pass. With good results too, as his reads have been good. He isn't forcing passes just to quickly advance.

He definitely looks very poised in the A, and very confident.

Good to hear. You think he could slide into the top 4 this year?

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Engelland playing over Bortuzzo or over the much needed Offensive Talent of a Despres would just prove how out of touch this Management & Coaching Staff is in relation to what this team needs are.;)

penguins2946*

If we aren't going to jumble up the pairs, Despres makes the most sense. He has the most experience with playing with Letang and not sucking at it. However, I expect the Niskanen-Letang pair to reappear :(

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I know people like to give Bylsma a hard time, but we all know Niskanen-Letang isn't going to happen. It's either going to be...

Orpik-Martin
Maatta-Letang
Niskanen-Bortuzzo with Engelland playing RW

or...

Orpik-Martin
Maatta-Letang
Niskanen-Engelland with Bortuzzo being a scratch and Jeffrey playing forward.

I'm betting the latter.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Why has Harrington been given limited minutes? not doing good at the pro level? First year jitters.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Why has Harrington been given limited minutes? not doing good at the pro level? First year jitters.

I just think they are easing him into pro hockey. His performance is fine. He can definitely play at this level. Harry is in no way over matched. I am sure his playing time will increase as the season goes on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->