So who are your eight in the East?

Your top eight in the East?

• Total voters

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
This may be better framed as Florida or New Jersey.

The other 7 from last season make it.

You cant really say that though. Four spots were seperated by 3 points last season, with Florida missing out by a point. Out of the teams that missed out, Florida, Carolina, and maybe Buffalo have a shot at a playoff spot this season, so that puts seven teams in the running for four spots (Boston, TB, Tor, Wash are locks IMO).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
no guarantees, but you have to think PIT WSH TB BOS TOR are still locks.

then I see 6 teams pushing for the last 3 spots - PHI CBJ NJ CAR FLA BUF.

easiest is to pick the 3 that made it last year but that likely won't be what happens. I think CBJ is the safest bet, while both PHI and NJ need to hope their stars can repeat their breakthroughs from last year, and could fall out if they don't. FLA is the still the best bet to push someone out I think. CAR prob ably still gets sabotaged by goaltending. BUF finally has a legit franchise player and those guys can turn around a franchise in a hurry. I wouldnot count them out.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If CBJ deals Panarin, their playoff chances dwindle. I’ve got them out this year if/when that happens...they just don’t have enough firepower up front in that scenario.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If CBJ deals Panarin, their playoff chances dwindle. I’ve got them out this year if/when that happens...they just don’t have enough firepower up front in that scenario.
Same for me. I have Florida replacing them, and the other 7 teams remaining the same from last year.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
TBL
TOR
BOS
*FLA
---------
BUF
DET
MTL
OTT

WSH
PIT
CBJ
*PHI
---------
CAR
NJD
NYI
NYR

I wanted to be different, and include Carolina, but goal-tending is just too risky. If Mrazek can play like he did a few years ago, I'll put the Canes in and the Panthers out.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Lol at the defending champs being 6th in this poll.

I dunno about having them 6th but i wouldn't have them top 3 as most favorite teams to make playoffs. Maybe 4th

A cup hangover is always possible - and with the coaching change (along with the notorious partying after the win) - if Cap have a down year it wouldn't exactly be the most shocking of results.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I really think Florida makes it.

I wanted to say that the only change that happens is Florida in and NJ out, but I think that we are likely to see more change.

Maybe Columbus falls out?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Tampa
Toronto
Florida

Washington
Philly
Carolina

Pittsburgh
Buffalo

(Florida, Carolina and Buffalo in; Boston, CBJ and NJD out).

Over the previous 7 years the last place team has made the playoffs the next year 4 times.

Those were Florida (72 points in 2011) Montreal (78 points in 2012) Toronto (69 points in 2016) and New Jersey (70 points in 2017). The other three teams were worse (points in the low 50s and 36 point Florida during the shortened 2013).

Buffalo had 62 points last year so it is between the last place teams that made the playoffs the next year and the last place teams that did not. I think that with the addition of CM and RD they are going to be on the bubble and I think they squeak in.

Teams that did well one year can take a dive the next. Montreal and Ottawa fell more than 30 points last year, NYR 25. That was a little unusual, but I do think that one of the strong teams last year will fall significantly enough to not make the playoffs next year, and CBJ and NJD will have set backs enough to fall out.

Over the last 7 years 9 out of 33 teams that reached 100 or more points missed the playoffs the next year (Two of 6 teams to reach 110 or more points missed the playoffs the next year - first place Boston - 117 points in 2014 and 2nd place Montreal - 110 points in 2015). It should be expected that one of the five 100-point teams last year won't make it next year. Often this is due to injuries. I am randomly picking Boston, but it could be any of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I accidentally clicked Buffalo instead of Boston. For the record here’s my eight in alphabetical order.

Boston
Columbus
Florida
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Washington

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
In alphabetical order: Boston,Carolina,Columbus,Florida,New Jersey,Philadelphia,Pittsburgh,Tampa

Washington: different coach, coaching system, they've just got what they've tried for a very long time;
can-not, not effect mentally, Ovechkin mentally ready to return to mother russia???.
(SC final loss?, who knows...we will never know).

Toronto: its a long process, one Tavares wont be the rain maker factor all of the sudden,
defense and goaltending is still an issue (one more than the other), during a rebuild
these things do happen, nothing bad in that, this time its a miss, next season they're
back better than ever.

NY Islanders: if only their d was slightly better and they'd had a goalie who could catch
at least a basketball, maybe Gibson could save them???, with better goaltending
i would put them in the 8.

---

Carolina: Carolina will be this seasons New Jersey Devils, they have multiple crazy good young talents
there at Raleigh, goaltending is going to be an issue but i think their d is more than okay
to make their goaltending issue look a little less. (7th or 8th seed)

Florida: they will be the powerhouse of the east (with Tampa), they will break
their franchise win+point record, Sasha Barkov will battle from multiple
personal awards this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad