So who *are* the NHL's generational players?

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Moving the years around too much in these lists. A generational player should be one per 20 years at minimum and 30 years at maximum that's a generation, So hockey should not have more than 5 generational players. Seems people are picking players of the decade type players, when in fact that just barely qualifies as half a generation.

Generation in sport isn't the same as a generation in life. Athletes career usually doesn't last 20 years, prime is barely 10 (there are obviously exceptions). While, assuming good health and fortune, your "career" (life) is going to last at least 4x that amount.

Also, if we go by this logic then 2 of Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr aren't generational since they are born only 17 years apart. Especially Gretzky and Lemieux who are born 4 years apart. So who's not generational from that trio?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
A generational player should be one per 20 years at minimum and 30 years at maximum that's a generation,

People can be using different definition here, generation tend to mean cohort, bunch of people that experienced the same significant events.

the 20-30 year's is quite the rule of thumb if you take that list for example (Which Generation Are You?):

Generation NameBirths
Start
Births
End
Youngest
Age Today*
Oldest Age
Today*
The Lost Generation
The Generation of 1914
The Interbellum Generation19011913108120
The Greatest Generation1910192497111
The Silent Generation192519457696
Baby Boomer Generation194619645775
Generation X (Baby Bust)196519794256
Xennials197519853646
Millennials
Generation Y, Gen Next
iGen / Gen Z19952012926
Gen Alpha2013202518
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Many span 15 year's or less, nhler are born from 9 of thoses (1890-2002).

When talking about a generation of nhler, rules/equipement/style change can be faster than general population generation or slower, that why it could be a good idea to define generation when someone is talking about generational talents.

I think considering how long a player can challenge to being the best player in the league has the length of a generation is sensible (so would be using the numbers of generation above) or a simple 20 year's rules of thumb (the nhl would be currently seeing rookie from the middle of the 7th generation of those 20 year's group currently)

Reactions: Bhrangerfan0809

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Malkin is so close to as good as Crosby and ovie that idk how separate them you either include him or take out all three

Malkin is a generational talent, but injuries stopped him from being a generational player. It's actually pretty easy to separate him. Compare top 10 hart, goal, pt finishes, individual awards, ASTs and it's quite obvious that Malkin doesn't measure up. Before you mention PPG, yes I know. But PPG just reinforces the point that he was always injured and lacks the resume. Real awards, pts, goals, ASTs >>> PPG finishes.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Generation in sport isn't the same as a generation in life. Athletes career usually doesn't last 20 years, prime is barely 10 (there are obviously exceptions). While, assuming good health and fortune, your "career" (life) is going to last at least 4x that amount.

Also, if we go by this logic then 2 of Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr aren't generational since they are born only 17 years apart. Especially Gretzky and Lemieux who are born 4 years apart. So who's not generational from that trio?
It depends when you start the count. And yes that's too bad for Lemieux if he entered the league just 4 years later than Gretzky, if you are that generations best player there can only be one. So if you start it in 1960 and end in 1980, its Orr, 1980 to 2000 its Gretzky, 2000 to 2020 its Ovechkin. Sucks to be Mario but that's just the way it goes. One per generation. If you want to call it hockey generation or player of the decade that's a different thing. Generational to me means the best player a fan will see from his generation.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Help me out because I don't know my hockey history that well.

Lost Generation (1885 - 1910)
  • Georges Vezina
Greatest Generation (1911 - 1924)
  • Maurice Richard
Silent Generation (1925 - 1945)
  • Gordie Howe
Baby Boomers (1946 - 1962)
  • Mike Bossy
  • Ken Dryden
  • Wayne Gretzky
  • Bobby Orr
  • Denis Potvin
Gen X (1963 - 1979)
  • Dominik Hasek
  • Jaromir Jagr
  • Mario Lemieux
  • Nik Lidstrom
  • Eric Lindros
Millennials (1980 - 1996)
  • Sidney Crosby
  • Patrik Kane
  • Evgeni Malkin
  • Alex Ovechkin
Zoomers (1997 - 2012)
  • Connor McDavid
  • Auston Matthews
  • Connor Bedard
Gen α (2013 - Present)
If by generational you mean players that defined the generation of hockey talent then sure, but if we're going by the actual definition of generational then a lot of your list is certainly not.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby 1,1,2,2,3,3,3,3,5,6,10,10
Malkin 1,1,2,4

Malkin has the talent but crosby is well ahead in the regular season and as good as Malkin js in the playoffs, Crosby has the edge there as well.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Matthews is not a generational player.

He’s on track to be a generational goal scorer, however.

DontLaughAtThat

Apr 12, 2017
The only generational players currently playing are Sid, Ovi, and McJesus.

Matthews will end up in that conversation soon enough. He's only 23 years old and would've had two 50 goal seasons already had he not missed time. He'll get there.

Reactions: JenniferH

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Vezina, Richard, Bossy, Dryden, Potvin, Lidstrom, Lindros, Malkin, Kane, Matthews and Bedard were/are not generational. Some of them were generational talents (Malkin and Lindros especially) but injuries stopped them. Some of them just don't belong. I mean if Richard is generational, then what about Bobby Hull and Beliveau who were both better than him? If Bossy is generational then what about his own team mate Trottier who was better than him? If you're including Lidstrom and Potvin, you have to include Bourque. Now you're at way too many players.

Generational:
Bobby Hull
OV
Crosby
Jagr
Hasek
(Bourque and Roy are fine too)

Tier above generational:
Orr/Howe/Lemieux

In his own tier:
Gretzky

Good list

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Gretzky, Orr and Lemieux and that’s it.

When these polls come up I like to remind people that “Generational” literally means once in a Generation. A generation is typically defined as 15-25 years. If you have multiple people all the same age we may have to reconsider the list. The list will also be debated but I like to share this reminder.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Everyone defines 'generational player' differently so it's impossible to get any sort of concensus.
I think players would fall into the category generational based on the fans generation. The best of my generation, compared to the best of my child's generation, compared to the best of my dad's generation, compared to the best of my grandfathers generation. compared to the best of my grandsons generation. So that would be 5 players I could relate to as generational. Somebody born 10 years sooner or later than I may come up with a couple of different names.

To pick the player from your generation, you would take a player that is or was playing at your age. If you are 25 I would not consider a 5year old or 45 year old your generation.

Last edited:

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Vezina, Richard, Bossy, Dryden, Potvin, Lidstrom, Lindros, Malkin, Kane, Matthews and Bedard were/are not generational. Some of them were generational talents (Malkin and Lindros especially) but injuries stopped them. Some of them just don't belong. I mean if Richard is generational, then what about Bobby Hull and Beliveau who were both better than him? If Bossy is generational then what about his own team mate Trottier who was better than him? If you're including Lidstrom and Potvin, you have to include Bourque. Now you're at way too many players.

Generational:
Bobby Hull
OV
Crosby
Jagr
Hasek
(Bourque and Roy are fine too)

Tier above generational:
Orr/Howe/Lemieux

In his own tier:
Gretzky
Uhhhh I think you're missing a guy, I think he plays for Edmonton maybe? Believe he just had one of the best seasons of all time if that rings a bell.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Patrick Roy should be on everyone’s list. Any player that changed how the game was played should be included. Gretzky, Orr, Roy, Mcdavid.
edit: that’s a short list, obviously more players then that are generational.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Patrick Roy should be on everyone’s list. Any player that changed how the game was played should be included. Gretzky, Orr, Roy, Mcdavid.
edit: that’s a short list, obviously more players then that are generational.

How did he change the game, butterfly, was by Tony Esposito

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Help me out because I don't know my hockey history that well.

Lost Generation (1885 - 1910)
  • Georges Vezina
Greatest Generation (1911 - 1924)
  • Maurice Richard
Silent Generation (1925 - 1945)
  • Gordie Howe
Baby Boomers (1946 - 1962)
  • Mike Bossy
  • Ken Dryden
  • Wayne Gretzky
  • Bobby Orr
  • Denis Potvin
Gen X (1963 - 1979)
  • Dominik Hasek
  • Jaromir Jagr
  • Mario Lemieux
  • Nik Lidstrom
  • Eric Lindros
Millennials (1980 - 1996)
  • Sidney Crosby
  • Patrik Kane
  • Evgeni Malkin
  • Alex Ovechkin
Zoomers (1997 - 2012)
  • Connor McDavid
  • Auston Matthews
  • Connor Bedard
Gen α (2013 - Present)

Lol at malkin Kane and matthews being considered generational. Malkin is the closest to it and due to injuries misses imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad