So - where exactly do you see the Canucks in 2-3 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So - where exactly do you see the Canucks in 2-3 years?

I know most of you will disagree with the following statement, but lets just say that the Canucks actually have been rebuilding/re-tooling/whateveryouwanttocallit since 2014, and that a proper re-whatever will take a good 5-7 years. So - if we subscribe to that theory, the Canucks should start to turn a corner in the 2019/2020 season. Here's how I see things:

Out of the current Canucks line-up, I see the following players being on our team:

Baertschi, Horvat, Boeser, Sutter, Eriksson, Virtanen, Tanev, Pouliot, Gudbranson.

???-Horvat-Boeser
???-????-Eriksson
Baertschi-???-Virtanen
???-Sutter-???

???-???
???-Tanev
Pouliot-Gudbranson

Markstrom
???

My gut feeling is that Goldobin won't make it as a Top 6 forward here and will either get traded or will go to the KHL. I think his ceiling will be that of a slightly below average 2nd line winger that doesn't have the defensive acumen to be a bottom 6. I also don't think Stetcher will have a future in Vancouver as his lack of size and offensive skill would be too much of a red flag. As much as I love Gaunce, I think he'll be toast as well. I think Hutton's inability to excel in one particular area will also cause the Canucks to trade him.

I also think Benning will sign Gudbranson due to our lack of physicality on defense, and lack of depth on RHD. I also think Pouliot will see an improvement in his game.

Out of our prospects - I see the following making our squad:

Gaudette, Brisebois, Juolevi, Petterrsson, Dahlen, Demko plus ONE more prospect/draft pick from this year's draft or the following years' draft.

???-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-Eriksson
Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen
???-Sutter-???

Juolevi-???
Brisebois-Tanev
Pouliot-Gudbranson

Demko
Markstrom

Now here is why I'm excited:

1) I think Petterrson will be a superstar for your Vancouver Canucks, and I believe that Dahlen will be a good 2nd line calibre forward (meeting expectations of what a 2nd line scoring winger should be like).
Overall, I think a Petterrsson/Dahlen line will be the equivalent of what we're seeing from Horvat/Boeser at current. So - in other words, the Canucks will have two very good (but not excellent) scoring lines.

2) Demko will be Corey Schneider. After a slow start in Utica last year, Demko actually had a very good 2nd half, despite playing behind a weak Utica team. This year, he has been quite good. While I don't think Demko will be a true superstar in this league (a la Price/Quick/Lundquist), I see his trajectory being similar to Corey Schneider's.

3) Olli Juolevi = Mattias Ohlund/Chris Tanev calibre. While I don't see Juolevi being the next Duncan Keith, I do think he'll be similar to Ohlund/Tanev level (i.e. a solid 1st pairing defenseman even if he's not a true superstar).

4) The rest of the ?????

???-Sutter-??? I think these gaps will be filled by either a prospect that surprises (Lockwood?), or a journeyman veteran that will sign here to provide some toughness (A Prust/Dorsett kind of guy).

Brisebois-??? I'm not sure who will slot in here, but I do know that the Canucks will need to upgrade their RHD. Stetcher isn't that guy, and Gudbranson should be a 3rd pairing defenseman that only gets 2nd pairing ice-time when there's injuries. My hope? We see the return of Nikita Tryamkin. I'll list Tryamkin here, but if he doesn't come back, I believe Benning will find and sign a solid 1st pairing defenseman (btw - I think Tryamkin is a first pairing guy).

4) Evander "EastVander" Kane. I think Kane signs with Vancouver in the off-season. Kane addresses our physicality issue, and provides us with some extra scoring. Kane is a proud Vancouverite and wants to be here. Benning and Linden have always coveted players/prospects that are from around here (i.e. Virtanen, that other collegiate player that signed with Colorado), and so I believe we'll have Kane this summer.

Kane-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-Eriksson
Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen
[Journeyman]-Sutter-[prospect]

Juolevi-[Tryamkin/UFA/Tanev]
Brisebois-Tanev [UFA]
Pouliot-Gudbranson

Demko
Markstrom

Edit - I'm adding in what I believe might be a more realistic projection: Refer to Post #11

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Petterrson-Virtanen
Kane-Gaudette-Eriksson
[prospect or vet that can fight&play]-Sutter-[prospect or vet that can fight&play]

Juolevi-Tryamkin [or if not Tryamkin, some other top pairing RHD that Benning either signs, drafts, or trades a 1st round pick for]
Hutton-Tanev
Pouliot-Gudbranson

Demko
Markstrom [or some other veteran back-up].

Last edited:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I will just answer this with what our mighty overlords said not too long ago...

tumblr_lmv99hRewa1qff0tw.gif

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
To be honest, all it may take is a lucky lottery win this year and the Canucks propelling to pick Rasmus Dahlin first overall. And if he is what the scouts are saying, we may have gotten ourselves a Karlsson... In this scenario this team would be dominant in 2-3 years time and in my opinion one of the top teams with Petterson and Dahlin leading the way (Who I believe will be the best Swedish players of their generation).

However considering the WORST WORST case scenarios happened the last 2 drafts where we dropped a few spots (Talking about the lottery luck not on who we actually picked), we'll get a worst case scenario and drop 3 spots missing out on a generational talent. In this case, in 2-3 years time I could see them in the wild card spot.

We could have easily gotten Matthews or Laine in 2016 with our draft position.... and this team looks a lot different.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
That defense is my concern still. We really need that number 1 guy that can consistently put on points. Haven't had one since Erhoff and Salo left the team..

2010-2011 Canucks Blue Line.
Erhoff - Edler
Salo - Hamhuis
Bieksa - Ballard
Tanev

Just look at this line up... how spoiled were we? :(

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
2) Demko will be Corey Schneider. After a slow start in Utica last year, Demko actually had a very good 2nd half, despite playing behind a weak Utica team. This year, he has been quite good. While I don't think Demko will be a true superstar in this league (a la Price/Quick/Lundquist), I see his trajectory being similar to Corey Schneider's.

Schneider doesn't get much media recognition, in part because he's been playing on some dreadful Devils squads, but to me he's been a top-5 goalie in the league for the last six years now. It'd be an absolute miracle if Demko turns out that well.

We'll see, though. Goalies are always tough to project. Lack and Markstrom were also dominant in the AHL.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Schneider doesn't get much media recognition, in part because he's been playing on some dreadful Devils squads, but to me he's been a top-5 goalie in the league for the last six years now. It'd be an absolute miracle if Demko turns out that well.

We'll see, though. Goalies are always tough to project. Lack and Markstrom were also dominant in the AHL.

I'm not sure I see it as a miracle, he has almost the exact same pedigree as Schneider.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Interesting you didn't have lind on your projections.

I was trying to be conservative with regards to statistical percentages (i.e how many prospects/picks actually end up making a roster). I feel like if I would've included Lind, I would've been read the riot act about how not all prospects make the big club.

Having said all that, I am quite confident that all of Petterrsson, Dahlen, Demko, Juolevi, and Gaudette will make the team.

I'll also admit that my original proposed line-up is likely way off, and that the roster 2-3 years from now likely won't look anything close to that. The point I'm trying to make is that this team looks fairly promising if we're being cautiously optimistic/realistic with our prospect projections.......and so my ultimate point is that if a true rebuild generally takes 5-7 years, and our team projects to be fairly promising in 2-3 years (which still falls under the 5-7 year timeline if 2014 was the starting point), then is all this "venom" being spewed towards Benning really justified?

That's also why I'm interested to see some of the "anti-Benning" crowd post their 'realistic' line-ups 2-3 years from now and see if they come to the same conclusion that I have........that this Canucks team will clearly be on the upswing in 2-3 years).

I added Brisebois in my original lines, but I think I was being a little too optimistic. The odds likely aren't in his favour that he'll develop that fast, and we'll likely end up keeping Hutton (with the hope that he further improves his game). I'm still bullish on Tryamkin returning........call me crazy. I don't think Virtanen will ever be a Top 6 guy, but his physicality and speed will allow him to keep his job, and I suspect that Green will try and get Virtanen to focus on playing a two-way game. Perhaps Virtanen gets 'Top 6' ice-time if Green employs a balanced attack

So with that being said - here is a 'balanced' line-up I have in mind.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Petterrson-Virtanen
Kane-Gaudette-Eriksson
[prospect or vet that can fight&play]-Sutter-[prospect or vet that can fight&play]

Juolevi-Tryamkin [or if not Tryamkin, some other top pairing RHD that Benning either signs, drafts, or trades a 1st round pick for]
Hutton-Tanev
Pouliot-Gudbranson

Demko
Markstrom [or some other veteran back-up].

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Fair enough point. Perhaps I'm being biased, but I believe Demko will also be a Top 5 goalie in the NHL (around #5). However - he won't be considered a 'top' goalie, just as Schneider was never held in the same regard as Price/Quick/Lundquist.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
That defense is my concern still. We really need that number 1 guy that can consistently put on points. Haven't had one since Erhoff and Salo left the team..

2010-2011 Canucks Blue Line.
Erhoff - Edler
Salo - Hamhuis
Bieksa - Ballard
Tanev

Just look at this line up... how spoiled were we? :(

Agreed.

Even without a true defensive superstar in 2011, we basically had five guys that were "very good" #2's at that stage in their careers. Amazing stuff.

I'm with you on our defense though.......especially on the right side. Even when predicting and projecting line-ups in 2-3 years, our defense looks quite weak. For me, guys like Hutton, Stetcher, and Gudbranson are 3rd pairing defensemen that can 'fill in' on a secondary pairing if injuries hit, and they are paired with a strong partner.

I see potential in Pouliot, but I think he'll likely fit into the above category as well. Tanev will be 28 in a week or so. although he has the type of game that will age well, you just never know with guys once they are in that 33-34 age range.

I'm expecting Juolevi to be Ohlund/Tanev in terms of calibre, but it's all speculation at this point.

Maybe Benning should trade a 1st rounder for a young RHD like Ristolainen in Buffalo if it's feasible. It would be a tough pill to swallow, but our D looks quite shallow.........and we can't just assume that Tryamkin will come back to us.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I'm not sure I see it as a miracle, he has almost the exact same pedigree as Schneider.

I am a Demko fan, talked to his dad before really nice guy. I am routing for him. But what Shneider has become is still incredible. You just never know if everything will translate. I think Demko will be a NHL goalie. I dream he becomes a top 5.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It depends what happens to management. If Benning and Linden are still here then we'll still be bottom-feeders. We'll likely have entered Edmonton (pre-McDavid) territory by then due to their mismanagement of the team, and there will be no light at the end of the tunnel.

If Benning and Linden are fired, and we bring in smart management at the end of this current season, then I could see the Canucks starting to come out of a rebuild in about 2-3 years (the proper rebuild will have to start this offseason). We'd probably be an exciting team that's pushing for a playoff spot. Ultimately we won't be considered a good team unless we find a way to get rid of that Eriksson contract.

Reactions: HSD19 and clunk

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
The stars align, Benning is a draft guru and our player development pulls a 180

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Gaudette-Pettersson
Gadjovich-Sutter-Lind
Eriksson-Gagner-Virtanen

OJ-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Pouliot-2018 pick
Brisbois-FA

Demko
Dipietro

REALITY

?-Horvat-Boeser
?-?-?
?-Sutter-Eriksson
?-?-?

?-?
?-?
?-?
?-?

?
?

Reactions: dim jim and Toxic0n

looseneditforyou

Apr 30, 2011
Fair enough point. Perhaps I'm being biased, but I believe Demko will also be a Top 5 goalie in the NHL (around #5). However - he won't be considered a 'top' goalie, just as Schneider was never held in the same regard as Price/Quick/Lundquist.
So you're not only saying he'll be a top five goaltender in the league but specifying exactly where in that range he will fall -- around 5. How often have you watched an entire game in which Demko has played?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Who is at the helm is important. Need people who can set a vision based on reality if the situation and execute a plan that puts the team I to a contending position to have several years of a run.

Who will be on the team from the current roster?
Bo, Brock, Elias, gaudette, Lind, dahlen, and Lockwood as I like his game.
Think these are my locks of the younger group.

Sven, depends on contract. He might go with arbitration and hit UFA in 2019.
Granny is replaceable.
Jake, might be one if those that he picks up his game after leaving the team that drafted him. See how he progresses by camp next season.
Goldy, see if he figures it out by camp next season to impress green.
Gadjovich, see how his skating goes.
Gaunce, like to see him take over for sutter once they can trade Sutter after 2019.

Goalies,expect Demko on the roster by then. Dipietro in the AHL.

Defense, this is the most concerning.
Juolevi, brisebois, one of Hutton or stecher, and of the 2 choose Troy cause he is a rhd. Hoping that tryamkin returns to bolster the right side.

Hoping the team moves on from gudbranson at the tdl. He wants too much money for what he has shown. Let him go to market and see whether he gets the russell and fransson wake up. Circle back if that is the case. Otherwise, walk away at the TDL.

Tanev, might be worth more in trade. Keeps getting dinged up.

Absolutely need at least 1 top 4 rhd to the group. And another top 4 D at this draft.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I expect them to be exactly where they are now - in no-man's land.

Not good enough to make the playoffs.

Too many lingering pieces that they can't bottom out properly.

This feels like it's headed more down the road of a Buffalo, instead of a Toronto or New Jersey.

Reactions: dim jim

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm actually reasonably optimistic that the team will be competitive in the next 2-3 years, largely on the backs of two legitimately game breaking offensive talents - Brock Boeser and Elias Pettersson.

I also see Olli Juolevi as being a competent top four defender at the very least, but more quality defenders surrounding him will be critical.

The big question is whether Benning (or his successor...) adds any more crippling contracts to our salary structure. Eriksson's deal alone is tough, even with his improved play of late, and Sutter's is dreadful. Gagner's is looking putrid, but at least he's off the books in 3 years' time. But if we hand out a stupid contract to a player like Gudbranson, look out.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I said they'd get back to the playoffs 2020-2021. Wouldn't surprise me if they did get in a year prior.

Team needs to fix the defense though. Too many games lost from the top. Not nearly enough production.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I'm actually reasonably optimistic that the team will be competitive in the next 2-3 years, largely on the backs of two legitimately game breaking offensive talents - Brock Boeser and Elias Pettersson.

I also see Olli Juolevi as being a competent top four defender at the very least, but more quality defenders surrounding him will be critical.

The big question is whether Benning (or his successor...) adds any more crippling contracts to our salary structure. Eriksson's deal alone is tough, even with his improved play of late, and Sutter's is dreadful. Gagner's is looking putrid, but at least he's off the books in 3 years' time. But if we hand out a stupid contract to a player like Gudbranson, look out.

After 3 years LE would be in his last year of contract, hoepfully we can ride it out...by that time Horvat and BB will still be in their primes. And hopefully we'll have a competent GM who will supplement the team with more elite talent.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I haven't seen Juolevi's games in Finland, but from what I saw of him in London last year it doesn't look like he'll be a sound top four defender. One would hope that he can develop into a second pairing defenseman, but I didn't see it last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad