So when will Selänne be clutch?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It is odd but doubtlessly true, that reputation-wise the past three months have been huge for Selanne, in spite of playing on a fairly average team with a first round exit.

As unlikely as it seems, I'd say he's possibly the most beloved player in the game at the moment.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
"Nobody cared more, nobody tried more, nobody did more then Teemu Selanne"
-Randy Carlyle

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Yeah, then why did it not prevent tim horton, dave keon and red kelly from having great playoff performances? Why was frank mahovlich always outscored by players like ehman and armstrong in the playoffs? You got an excuse for that too? Was mahovlich not playing under that defensive system in the regular season?

Didn't Mahovlich lead the 1964 Cup Champions in scoring? He led the Leafs in scoring in the 1962 finals as well.

This Ehman thing you keep harping on is a great example of why few people bother to answer your rants anymore. You take threads ridiculously off topic for no reason, and change your stance on players on a near monthly basis and then act like anyone who disagrees is an idiot (should we again remind you that your first post on the history board was you claiming Alexander Mogilny was better than Gordie Howe based entirely on points-per-game? Seriously, it was.). You act like you've seen every hockey player who ever played the game. Man, we know you're like 21 years old! Believe it or not, it's possible to have a discussion without saying things like this (all taken from the last couple days):

You got an excuse for that too?
If you dont think the hart trophy has a forward bias than i dont even wanna bother responding.
Also, lol at selanne beating hasek for the hart, its good to here a few jokes here and there.
Look pal you can try and make smart comments as much as you want, i saw enough of both players.You cant make any real argument to rank yzerman higher because there is none.
Again, that last quote kills me because you obviously didn't see enough of Yzerman. I'm like 5 years older than you and I only recall the tail end of his offensive peak. And that essentially sums up my issues with you as a poster. I know I'm not perfect either. I'm sure I piss people off at times. But dude, you don't need to act like such a know-it-all in every thread you enter. You can disagree with someone without acting like they're a waste of your time. It can be done.

Back to the completely off-topic Mahovlich discussion (which I won't be touching on again after this post):

In his first playoffs ever, and two years prior to his breakout season, Frank Mahovlich came second on the Leafs in playoff scoring behind some guy named Gerry Ehman. That season, Frank Mahovlich was 3rd on the Leafs in scoring, and outscored both the guys ahead of him in the playoffs by a decent margin. Ehman scored 13 points in 12 games that playoff, and then managed just one point in his next 18 playoff games. I think it's fair to say that Gerry Ehman caught lightning in a bottle that year, no different than Fernando Pisani or John Druce.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
It is odd but doubtlessly true, that reputation-wise the past three months have been huge for Selanne, in spite of playing on a fairly average team with a first round exit.

As unlikely as it seems, I'd say he's possibly the most beloved player in the game at the moment.

It's too bad the Ducks couldn't make any noise this year, that was a fun team to watch when the offense was rolling. And what can I say, there's just nothing intriguing about Nashville for whatever reason.

After his performance this year, I assume Selanne will be back again next year? Has he talked at all about hanging them up, or will he keep playing as long as he can still perform? It would be a shame to see him go after a season like that.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
After his performance this year, I assume Selanne will be back again next year? Has he talked at all about hanging them up, or will he keep playing as long as he can still perform? It would be a shame to see him go after a season like that.

I assume/hope he will be back. It was a pleasure to watch him this season. I don't know if he's ever been a better playmaker than he was this year. Some of his passes were just mind-blowing.

Yes, he's been very PP-reliant since the lockout but his defenders have made some very good points over the last few months as well. And hey, although he got a fairly high percentage of his points on the PP, he was still 26th in the NHL in ESP, and that would have led 15 of the 30 teams in the league, and he did it with less icetime than any player ahead of him. (without missing 9 games, he's 11th in ESP, if the other stars don't miss games too, he's 17th, either way, not too shabby)

I thought I read once that the last (or was it only?) player to retire a top-10 scorer was Jean Beliveau in 1971. So if Selanne did pack it in after a year like this, it would be a very rare occurrence.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I assume/hope he will be back. It was a pleasure to watch him this season. I don't know if he's ever been a better playmaker than he was this year. Some of his passes were just mind-blowing.

Yes, he's been very PP-reliant since the lockout but his defenders have made some very good points over the last few months as well. And hey, although he got a fairly high percentage of his points on the PP, he was still 26th in the NHL in ESP, and that would have led 15 of the 30 teams in the league, and he did it with less icetime than any player ahead of him. (without missing 9 games, he's 11th in ESP, if the other stars don't miss games too, he's 17th, either way, not too shabby)

I thought I read once that the last (or was it only?) player to retire a top-10 scorer was Jean Beliveau in 1971. So if Selanne did pack it in after a year like this, it would be a very rare occurrence.

+Worse linemates than most(all) of them.

5 on 5 points per 60 minutes of ES ice time:

1st line:
Ryan 2.54
Perry 2.48
Getzlaf 2.31

2nd line:
Selanne 2.43
Koivu 1.56
Blake 1.49

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
John Bucyk

Very similar to John Bucyk's final years. 2nd line with line mates that suited his skills perfectly.

Excellent power play performer due to his ability to read the play and find open ice.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I thought I read once that the last (or was it only?) player to retire a top-10 scorer was Jean Beliveau in 1971.
The only other player to do that who I can think of would be Syl Apps; except of course for Mario Lemieux in '97 (who probably doesn't count since he didn't stay retired).

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Didn't Mahovlich lead the 1964 Cup Champions in scoring? He led the Leafs in scoring in the 1962 finals as well.

This Ehman thing you keep harping on is a great example of why few people bother to answer your rants anymore. You take threads ridiculously off topic for no reason, and change your stance on players on a near monthly basis and then act like anyone who disagrees is an idiot (should we again remind you that your first post on the history board was you claiming Alexander Mogilny was better than Gordie Howe based entirely on points-per-game? Seriously, it was.). You act like you've seen every hockey player who ever played the game. Man, we know you're like 21 years old! Believe it or not, it's possible to have a discussion without saying things like this (all taken from the last couple days):

Again, that last quote kills me because you obviously didn't see enough of Yzerman. I'm like 5 years older than you and I only recall the tail end of his offensive peak. And that essentially sums up my issues with you as a poster. I know I'm not perfect either. I'm sure I piss people off at times. But dude, you don't need to act like such a know-it-all in every thread you enter. You can disagree with someone without acting like they're a waste of your time. It can be done.

Back to the completely off-topic Mahovlich discussion (which I won't be touching on again after this post):

In his first playoffs ever, and two years prior to his breakout season, Frank Mahovlich came second on the Leafs in playoff scoring behind some guy named Gerry Ehman. That season, Frank Mahovlich was 3rd on the Leafs in scoring, and outscored both the guys ahead of him in the playoffs by a decent margin. Ehman scored 13 points in 12 games that playoff, and then managed just one point in his next 18 playoff games. I think it's fair to say that Gerry Ehman caught lightning in a bottle that year, no different than Fernando Pisani or John Druce.

Regardless of what you are trying to say, frank's run in toronto is nowhere near as impressive as his playoff runs in montreal. If he had to spend his whole career carrying a team like la kings, his playoff record would be even worse than dionne's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->