Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Em-AJ-4UYAAHDcY

Em-zjyuVQAA1jy-

Polar Vortex

Jul 4, 2012
I’m pretty pissed at the hideous grey jerseys and sad they didn’t go with the red. Adidas is so trash.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I think the jerseys are fine as someone who works as a designer partially. They could have been better. I disagree with the one suggestion on the last page, they actually go too much in a stylish/modern direction IMO. Also, the Jets never used black as a colour so it doesn't even go with what the reverse retro idea is about. I'm more into the idea of the ptimary red colour but the chosen red in the second suggestion is too bright IMO. Both don't work as well as the actual Adidas design, If you consider the requirements. But the red one could be great with proper tweeking.

There are some incredibly good ones btw. The Caps one is amazing. Montreal is beautiful. I give the Yotes a lot of credit for going with the space picasso doggy. They are executed pretty well. Those will be worth a lot of money in a couple of years for collectors. The Ducks jersey is kind of meh but also kudos for going with it. Bold decision.

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Yotes and Wild are my favorites of the bunch. Wish the Wild had gone with the N* as a shoulder logo as well.

I also like Colorado and Carolina and think they were well executed. I feel bad for Hartford and Quebec residents as it's just more salt rubbed in the wound. Personally I wouldn't have minded a Thrashers jersey but I get why we didn't do it. And yeah, I'd have hated seeing the Yotes wearing a Jets jersey.

As for the Jets I'm pretty meh on it. It's ok but not great. I agree with many others that the correct red would have made it pop so much more. If we'd somewhat followed the Montreal concept and flipped our blue to red where they went red->blue and used the retro logo it would have been a clear winner IMO.

At the same time though I don't think it's any less boring than Boston/Detroit/Edmonton/Ottawa/Tampa/Toronto/Philly/NYI/Dallas etc. Lots of meh floating around this whole thing.

Reactions: flyingkiwi

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
For any that are blaming the Jets and/ or TNSE for these jerseys...

This is the guy to blame..

Dan Near joined adidas Group North America in March 2016 as Head of adidas Hockey. Mr. Near has been responsible for shaping the brand’s hockey strategy and reimagining how to bring the adidas brand story to life through the sport, both on the Licensed and Branded sides of business, and through all segments of the sport from grassroots to the pros.

“We sat around a table and said, ‘What do we do with this?'” Near recalled. “Throwbacks had been done. We certainly didn’t want to go and just do a bunch of retreads.”

“Typically when we do an NHL project, we meet with the team. They present us with a brief — what they see their brand looking like. It’s impossible to do that for a program like this where essentially we’re presenting a formula."

None

Feb 22, 2012
Do people really think those red jerseys look good? Looks like a red velvet hockey jersey

I think that's more a consequence of their choice of platform to upload their marketing to and their choice in materials. The compression artifacts from twitter combined with metallic material and thread cause a bad moire effect on both the primary grey knit and the embroidery, both make it difficult to manipulate the colour without it looking a little off.

I think this looks a little less blotchy and velvety, I think a solid white captain/assistant letter might look nicer than my edit to navy, I'm not sure I'd change the logo though. Maybe the Jets wordmark in red and powder/aviator blue elements changed to white. I don't really care enough to edit it further beyond this though.
pENf8ZP.jpg

In artificial lighting it would probably appear closer to the same red they used as the secondary colour on the heritage jerseys.

Edit to add: It's important to look at it to scale, the automatic scaling from the website is going to make some of the darker pixels blend and look smoother than they are. Just click it to view the full scale.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
The more I look at those jerseys I'm reminded of something...

Back in 1990 as a 15 year old kid when the Jets unveiled their "new" look I really didn't like it. I thought red white and blue were hugely overdone. I saw down to draw my own jerseys, using what I thought would be the best colours - blue and silver.

Now in hindsight I'll admit I was 100% influenced by the then-new LA Kings black and silver unis.

But as I look at these "retro-reverse" it really does feel a bit inspired by that 30 year old vision of mine. Now I could nit-pick: I don't like the shoulder-sleeve design (there's a reason the HC Jerseys used the WHA design), and I think I might have used a lighter silver. But those colours do kind of work.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The red has way more punch - and red is actually an accent colour the team uses and has used since the WHA days. So it would be a real retro reverse to make it a main colour. Grey? Not so much. The Aviator blue version of this is pretty good too if they want to stick with that, but maybe they thought it would look too similar to the Aviators that are pretty new themselves.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I find it really funny that people hate the grey. What colour are Jets?
can you send that post to the Canadians, Penguins, Panthers, Senators, Sharks, Ducks, etc?
Insist their jerseys should be the exact same colour as the thing that's in their names.
So we'd have two white jerseys, two black jerseys, one grey jersey....

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
can you send that post to the Canadians, Penguins, Panthers, Senators, Sharks, Ducks, etc?
Insist their jerseys should be the exact same colour as the thing that's in their names.
So we'd have two white jerseys, two black jerseys, one grey jersey....

Hah! Hey, feel free to hate the jersey. It’s totally subjective. I just find it odd the shock of the choice to go with grey.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
For any that are blaming the Jets and/ or TNSE for these jerseys...

This is the guy to blame..

Dan Near joined adidas Group North America in March 2016 as Head of adidas Hockey. Mr. Near has been responsible for shaping the brand’s hockey strategy and reimagining how to bring the adidas brand story to life through the sport, both on the Licensed and Branded sides of business, and through all segments of the sport from grassroots to the pros.

“We sat around a table and said, ‘What do we do with this?'” Near recalled. “Throwbacks had been done. We certainly didn’t want to go and just do a bunch of retreads.”

“Typically when we do an NHL project, we meet with the team. They present us with a brief — what they see their brand looking like. It’s impossible to do that for a program like this where essentially we’re presenting a formula."

I guess that's appropriate. This is dan near the ugliest jersey we've ever had. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad