So when D'Agostini is healthy....

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Why limit ourselves?

akg4uw.gif

dvpnvn.gif
I think that first one was originally for non-ironic use. How far we've come!

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
Glass has taken more shifts with Crosby than Bennett has. And, the only reason he's taken fewer than Bennett with Malkin is because Neal got hurt, not because Bylsma wanted or wants it that way.

or it could be that, like most NHL coaches who have the benefit of a very good center, he chooses to employ something called a double-shift, in which said center takes the spot of the 4th line center to get him more ice time and to create matchup problems.

that was too reasonable of an explanation though, so I'm sure a lazy "kool-aid" comment is coming my way in lieu of an intelligent response.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Glass has taken more shifts with Crosby than Bennett has. And, the only reason he's taken fewer than Bennett with Malkin is because Neal got hurt, not because Bylsma wanted or wants it that way.

we're not talking about Glass getting shifts with Crosby - which are a result of Sid being double shifted, not Glass being put on the first or second line - I asked you why you think Bylsma would take Jokinen off the second line for Kobasew, and you have given me absolutely no logical reason why Bylsma would think that was a good idea.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
we're not talking about Glass getting shifts with Crosby - which are a result of Sid being double shifted, not Glass being put on the first or second line - I asked you why you think Bylsma would take Jokinen off the second line for Kobasew, and you have given me absolutely no logical reason why Bylsma would think that was a good idea.

#bylslogic

At some point, Jokinen will struggle. It's his MO. And, it will be Kobasew who gets the shot to replace him. THAT has been Bylsma's MO since the cup.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

When Neal returns? You're kidding yourself if you don't think there's a very good chance a DB type player like Kobasew will find his way on that line.

Juice will have to be dynamite with those two to keep DB from ****ing it up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
or it could be that, like most NHL coaches who have the benefit of a very good center, he chooses to employ something called a double-shift, in which said center takes the spot of the 4th line center to get him more ice time and to create matchup problems.

that was too reasonable of an explanation though, so I'm sure a lazy "kool-aid" comment is coming my way in lieu of an intelligent response.

ROFL, I must have missed all of those double shifts Malkin has taken with Jeffrey and Vitale and Sutter. Malkin doesn't double shift. He gets jerked around. Why would you expect that to cease when Neal returns?

Here, I'll answer the question for you. Drink kool-aid. It's gotten you this far. Lazy enough for you? :shakehead

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
#bylslogic

At some point, Jokinen will struggle. It's his MO. And, it will be Kobasew who gets the shot to replace him. THAT has been Bylsma's MO since the cup.

Yep, and then Kobasew will really, really struggle and Bylsma will stick with it. I like Kobasew as a third liner... like Dupuis; he'll be a staple in the top 6 by the midway point.

Jokinen had better figure out how to be consistent or the **** will really hit the fan. Hopefully the linemates, environment and contract motivation will help with that. Or it's good enough that even Disco can ignore some streakiness from a line that isn't his chosen one. Neal isn't exactly consistent.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
I wonder if there are any other teams in the league (on these boards) who complain more about their coaches even though they've continued to have winning records year after year. I haven't been on here in a while because every single topic regardless of what it is gets twisted and turned into a DB p*ssing and moaning session. I know this thread was set up in order to complain about the coach some more so I probably should't have even begun to read it but, feeling somewhat optimistic, I began reading with the hope that it might actually discuss D'Agostini since I don't know too much about him.... Should have known better I guess.

It's weird though. I saw the Flyers finally fired their coach and won one game. Now they are losing again. How can that be? We all know that the coach controls everything and the only answer always is to get a new one. That solves everything because the new guy can't possibly be as bad as the one he's replacing. Although I guess if the Pens had a new coach they could be undefeated and wouldn't have lost that one game this season.

I wonder what will be discussed on these boards if the Pens ever do fire Bylsma. It'll be crickets in here. There will be a large number of posters that will have absolutely nothing to say because that's all they ever talk about, in every single post. I suppose it wouldn't take long to find problems with whoever takes over and all will be right in their world again.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder if there are any other teams in the league (on these boards) who complain more about their coaches even though they've continued to have winning records year after year. I haven't been on here in a while because every single topic regardless of what it is gets twisted and turned into a DB p*ssing and moaning session. I know this thread was set up in order to complain about the coach some more so I probably should't have even begun to read it but, feeling somewhat optimistic, I began reading with the hope that it might actually discuss D'Agostini since I don't know too much about him.... Should have known better I guess.

It's weird though. I saw the Flyers finally fired their coach and won one game. Now they are losing again. How can that be? We all know that the coach controls everything and the only answer always is to get a new one. That solves everything because the new guy can't possibly be as bad as the one he's replacing. Although I guess if the Pens had a new coach they could be undefeated and wouldn't have lost that one game this season.

I wonder what will be discussed on these boards if the Pens ever do fire Bylsma. It'll be crickets in here. There will be a large number of posters that will have absolutely nothing to say because that's all they ever talk about, in every single post. I suppose it wouldn't take long to find problems with whoever takes over and all will be right in their world again.

Thank you for admonishing us for having the audacity to want our team to win the cup and thus watching and critiquing games with beating tough defensive teams in mind rather than who wins scoring titles or how entertaining things are. You now may go back to singing Cumbaya My Lord.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
it is very difficult to have an opinion even SLIGHTLY different from the hardline anti-Bylsma crowd on this board without being accused of submitting to some sort of pro-Bylsma groupthink. it sours discussion and leads to increasingly wild and absurd conclusions entering into the popular consciousness as uncontestable facts. I do not like Bylsma very much - if I had my druthers, I'd rather Jacques Martin be calling the shots - but I don't think he is as stupid or maniacally evil as you guys seem to think he is. Whenever someone suggests this, they're shot down and mobbed with sarcastic remarks. It's very off-putting, and I'm not sure if you're trying to monopolize the discussion because you can't conduct a civil debate or because you need an echo chamber.

DJ will be waived or traded for a 7th and become a mainstay on some other team's 3rd line ala Tangradi and Tube.

pretty sure Tangradi is a fourth liner in Winnipeg...

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Again, this is the mentality that leads to extending two 34 y/os Duper and Kuni for 4 years, a 36 y/o Adams for 2 years and extending the entire coaching staff.

If you follow this team to see a bunch of reg season wins and disappointing PO losses that fine, but don't complain about ppl who want to actually win in the POs.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
it is very difficult to have an opinion even SLIGHTLY different from the hardline anti-Bylsma crowd on this board without being accused of submitting to some sort of pro-Bylsma groupthink. it sours discussion and leads to increasingly wild and absurd conclusions entering into the popular consciousness as uncontestable facts. I do not like Bylsma very much - if I had my druthers, I'd rather Jacques Martin be calling the shots - but I don't think he is as stupid or maniacally evil as you guys seem to think he is. Whenever someone suggests this, they're shot down and mobbed with sarcastic remarks. It's very off-putting, and I'm not sure if you're trying to monopolize the discussion because you can't conduct a civil debate or because you need an echo chamber.

I answered your question above after the jokes. Jokinen will struggle. Bylsma will move him. Kobasew will get the call because Beau helps the third line. If you don't like the answer, then that's fine. But, there's no reason to play the martyr.

Again, this is the mentality that leads to extending two 34 y/os Duper and Kuni for 4 years, a 36 y/o Adams for 2 years and extending the entire coaching staff.

If you follow this team to see a bunch of reg season wins and disappointing PO losses that fine, but don't complain about ppl who want to actually win in the POs.

Oh no, you see, if you don't waive the pom poms, then you're a poopy head who spoils all the fun.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
it is very difficult to have an opinion even SLIGHTLY different from the hardline anti-Bylsma crowd on this board without being accused of submitting to some sort of pro-Bylsma groupthink. it sours discussion and leads to increasingly wild and absurd conclusions entering into the popular consciousness as uncontestable facts. I do not like Bylsma very much - if I ad my druthers, I'd rather Jacques Martin be calling the shots - but I don't think he is as stupid or maniacally evil as you guys seem to think he is. Whenever someone suggests this, they're shot down and mobbed with sarcastic remarks. It's very off-putting.

This is actually the biggest issue here. There's like five people who, with their hangers-on absolutely dominate the discussion in terms of sheer volume. If you don't agree that everything they don't like is a harbinger of doom or co-sign their "eye test" verdicts, they condescend like mother****ers.

People who aren't even Bylsma defenders get **** on just for not sucking up to certain people.

It's not the content of the board that's the issue. It's the tone. There's really not a lot of substantive hockey talk these days.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I answered your question above after the jokes. Jokinen will struggle. Bylsma will move him. Kobasew will get the call because Beau helps the third line. If you don't like the answer, then that's fine. But, there's no reason to play the martyr.

But that has nothing to do with whether or not there's a healthy lineup. That's assuming a completely different parameter that has nothing to do with what we were talking about.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
Thank you for admonishing us for having the audacity to want our team to win the cup and thus watching and critiquing games with beating tough defensive teams in mind rather than who wins scoring titles or how entertaining things are. You now may go back to singing Cumbaya My Lord.

My bad. I just think there might other things that are interesting topics to read and talk about. That's fine though. I'll leave. You can continue being the cancer you are in your crusade to make every single point and problem, the Penguins have, DB's fault. It's gotten to the point where we all know what you're post is going to be about simply by seeing you're name, nothing new, just the same thing over and over but arranged differently. Obviously he's the only person you want to talk about. I'll remind you though, that there are plenty of good and great coaches out there with good teams that have a lot of talent that haven't won the cup or don't win it every year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Speaking as someone who stood in the trenches and defended DB agt the pitchfork and torches mob for years, he absolutely no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt, until proven otherwise.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com

Hm. Didn't know that! Although to be entirely fair, Winnipeg's third line isn't exactly one of the better ones in the league, and i certainly think it's a stretch to say that Tangradi has had any measure of success as a Jet.

KIRK said:
Oh, pardon my tone. It's just so 'unbecoming'. :cry:

Again...more sarcasm. Why?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
But that has nothing to do with whether or not there's a healthy lineup. That's assuming a completely different parameter that has nothing to do with what we were talking about.

Actually, the QUESTION of this thread is what happens to Bennett when D'Agostini returns. Several have suggested that Bennett will be scratched sooner rather than later. A side issue became whether Kobasew would end up on Malkin's wing when Neal returns. Given how Jokinen will struggle at some point (and who's to say he doesn't before Neal returns), he will be replaced sooner rather than later and the first choice to replace him will be Kobasew.

Apparently, you like neither answer. The only other issue in this thread is that some people are pouting because the tone in here is just so negative and, by implication, sarcasm and hyperbole are the exclusive property of the pom pom boys around here.

Have I missed something?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Jussi Jokinen? :naughty:

Oh, pardon my tone. It's just so 'unbecoming'. :cry:

You know what KIRK? I'm sick of you posting your opinion about this team with in depth reasoning and that you have the audacity to back up your claims with stats and facts.

The fact that you would ever dare question a coach that has won a Jack Adams, is Team USAs head coach and is the fastest to 200 wins makes it so I can't enjoy watching games anymore.

I feel that if a team, coach, line or player is successful in the regular season then they have to also be successful in playoffs. if they are not successful it's because of bad bounces or bad goaltending. That's it. Bounces and goaltending.

Please stop posting your opinion on this message board.

Thanks.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Speaking as someone who stood in the trenches and defended DB agt the pitchfork and torches mob for years, he absolutely no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt, until proven otherwise.

I don't like your tone. It's so negative.

Now, about those dirty bowling alley shoes, go get your shine box. ;)

EDIT: Please tell me you got BOTH references here, because I shudder to think how you'd react if you were a member of the sensitivity police.

You know what KIRK? I'm sick of you posting your opinion about this team with in depth reasoning and that you have the audacity to back up your claims with stats and facts.

The fact that you would ever dare question a coach that has won a Jack Adams, is Team USAs head coach and is the fastest to 200 wins makes it so I can't enjoy watching games anymore.

I feel that if a team, coach, line or player is successful in the regular season then they have to also be successful in playoffs. if they are not successful it's because of bad bounces or bad goaltending. That's it. Bounces and goaltending.

Thanks.

I'm sorry. :cry:

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

Thanks.

See, this is what I mean. People don't like that you're a condescending ******* (and worse yet, you don't even deserve to condescend to anyone), so you double down on the condescension and frame it as if you're some persecuted hockey intellectual. Get the **** over yourself and consider a new hobby.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Actually, the QUESTION of this thread is what happens to Bennett when D'Agostini returns. Several have suggested that Bennett will be scratched sooner rather than later. A side issue became whether Kobasew would end up on Malkin's wing when Neal returns. Given how Jokinen will struggle at some point (and who's to say he doesn't before Neal returns), he will be replaced sooner rather than later and the first choice to replace him will be Kobasew.

Apparently, you like neither answer. The only other issue in this thread is that some people are pouting because the tone in here is just so negative and, by implication, sarcasm and hyperbole are the exclusive property of the pom pom boys around here.

Have I missed something?

I don't think there is any evidence to support either of your conclusions regarding Bennett vs D'Agostini or Kobasew vs Jokinen. You are making conjectures that run contrary to what would be logical for the team - and not in a "Bylsma logic" sense, just plain brain-dead moves that no NHL coach would make no matter how awful they are. The idea of scratching Bennett, the team's best prospect at forward, to make room for career journeyman D'Agostini who is playing on a 2 way for barely more than the league minimum, is especially farfetched.

What you've missed is the fact that this entire discussion seems to have been predicated on the notion of heaping scorn on Bylsma for things he hasn't even done yet or given any indication that he will do. What is the point? If he ACTUALLY scratches Bennett for D'Ags or installs Kobasew on the second line, I'll be waving the torches and pitchforks right alongside you, but he hasn't - so what was the point of the thread to begin with other than to further monopolize the discussion for the sake of ******** on Bylsma?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->