So what's going to happen with our Goalies?

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I just saw an article posted on CDC.
The Canucks are shopping Markstrom.

It’s believed Markstrom, who wants to play in the NHL with his $1.2 million cap hit, asked for the Canucks to trade him if they can after the Ryan Miller signing.

The Canucks have explored trades and there is interest from at least three teams.

“That situation could work itself out over the summer,” Benning said. “The teams that are interested may have to move out another guy.

“We’re exploring that for Jacob. But if that doesn’t happen, Jacob comes to camp. He has a good attitude. He understands the situation.

“Look at Minnesota last year. They went through about five goalies.”
http://www.theprovince.com/touch/st...anwest/F6949+(The+Province+-+Canucks+/+Hockey)

If Benning manages to get something even half decent for Markstrom, I'd be pretty damn impressed. I mean, I'm not expecting anything at all though because Markstrom has not proven himself in the NHL. Not one bit.

Last edited:

Dead Cat Bounce

Dec 30, 2013
Whoever snags him has to keep him on their roster for a set amount of time. Thus opening up one of their goaltenders to waivers unless he fulfills the waiver-exempt rule. That means that that team has to be able to absorb the cap hit which a lot of teams aren't able to.

Personally I don't think he's going to be taken off waivers.

This.

Waive Markstrom just before the season opener and it's highly unlikely anyone claims him.

Rosters will be set by then and, if anyone else claims him they will have to put him on the roster.

If they try and send him down, he has to go back on waivers.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I'd keep Markstrom as the 3rd goalie.

His biggest weakness is leakiness and he can work on that with our goalie coach this season. Miller gets 50, Lack gets 27, Markstrom gets his 5.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
This.

Waive Markstrom just before the season opener and it's highly unlikely anyone claims him.

Rosters will be set by then and, if anyone else claims him they will have to put him on the roster.

Wasn't Stanton claimed a couple weeks before the season started?

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Wasn't Stanton claimed a couple weeks before the season started?

He has a salary of 550K. Completely different from Markstrom's 1.2 million dollars.

And the Canucks didn't have to clear a roster spot for him. Anyone wanting Markstrom will have to.

If he wants a trade however, that's a completely different story. Personally I feel that Markstrom has a higher ceiling than Lack and I'd be even more pissed at the Miller signing. But whatever.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

His biggest weakness is leakiness and he can work on that with our goalie coach this season. Miller gets 50, Lack gets 27, Markstrom gets his 5.

So you'd want to waste a roster spot for the entire season on a guy who is only going to play 5 games?

Not to mention how completely horrendous that would be for Markstrom's development.

LolClarkson*

Interested to know what everyone thinks about our Goalie Situation? Rather what is going to happen with Lack/Markstrom.

Since Cannata and Eriksson are signed for this year, it doesn't make sense to have 3 goalies in Utica. It also makes no sense to have 3 Goalies up here....

Does Lack or Markstrom get the boot?

If Markstrom is waived, does that mean Eriksson is on the way out, since Cannata just got re-signed?
What we need to do is trade Miller for Antti Niemi. The Sharks want an upgrade in goal and Miller would be that upgrade. We want a shorter contract so that Lack can start next year.

And for Markstrom. We should get him to tank the first 2 pre season games and then waive him.

LolClarkson*

I voted to trade Lack. Lack has good trade value and can either bring back a pick (2nd ?) or be packaged for more (Lack + Hansen + Higgins + pick= Ladd, Kane or Byfuglien ?

Markstrom has little trade value now, but if properly coached, in 2 or 3 years\ he has a far greater upside than Lack. In the meantime he should be able to handle back-up duties.

We do have enough cap space though to keep both on the roster and not trade either until teams start realizing they need a goalie (usually around Christmas)
So we can keep Lack, Marks and Miller all on the NHL team ? Might as well keep them. Lack won't get enough in trade. It's not worth trading him or Marks.

LolClarkson*

None of the above. Markstrom gets waived and claimed. Its not what I want to happen, but it is what I see as the most likely situation. For me ideally I would like to keep all 3 up, and to trade Lack at the deadline if he establishes some sort of value by that point.
What if Miller sucks more then Lack.

Trade Miller

LolClarkson*

Best idea so far.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
I think Eriksson could be a decent mentor for Markstrom, despite their similarity in age.

Eriksson was a big success in the AHL last year. Obviously he has figured out the transition to North American hockey a little better than Markstrom. If we can sneak Markstrom through waivers, it would be nice if Eriksson can pass on some of that knowledge.

By the way, Utica fans would be so pissed if we traded Eriksson to make room for Markstrom.

Markstrom outperformed Joacim in the AHL (number wise) last year, won the goalie of the month award just before he got traded here and has been playing well in the AHL since 2010. Eriksson is not a better goalie than Jacob.

As Botch reports, Marky will likely be traded. I'm curiosa as of which 3 teams are interested. Any guesses?

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I say Trade Lack... (he is great BTW and could be a number one guy)

But he is 26 this season... (Markstrom is 24) Lack will be a UFA when he is 28 (2016) with a year left of Miller, I think if Lack isn't considered the #1 by that contract, he goes to where he will be... (Lack will be 29 when Millers contract finishes)

So that leaves the situation that Miller is the backup halfway threw his contract. And I am honestly afraid that Lack will be better this year...

The way it plays out with Markstrom is better IMO, with him being an RFA after next year... meaning we can give him a 3 year contract bridging him to take over the #1 when when Miller retires... Markstrom will only be 27, a year older then Lack now...

I cannot see much difference between Lack and Markstrom in 3 years, just Lack has more value now (however slight), and will be older when we need a #1

I do not see it playing out this way however since the new management seem to be short sighted at the moment... and probably think they can deal with future issues when they come up...

Also after the last 3 years, we could use a genuine back up, and not another potential 1a 1b situation...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The rumours of 3 teams being interested in trading for Markstrom are interesting. A bit weird. But i suppose in a convoluted sort of way, Markstrom is actually more enticing via trade than he might even be as a waiver wire pickup due to the fact the acquiring team would potentially have a better opportunity to send Markstrom down to their own farm team where he could continue to develop.

I just can't drum up 3 NHL teams in my head that seem like they'd really be willing to roll the dice on their backup goaltending spot with a guy like Markstrom right now. I guess we'll see if any of the interest is real. Would be nice to get something for him in a trade though.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Markstrom outperformed Joacim in the AHL (number wise) last year, won the goalie of the month award just before he got traded here and has been playing well in the AHL since 2010. Eriksson is not a better goalie than Jacob.

As Botch reports, Marky will likely be traded. I'm curiosa as of which 3 teams are interested. Any guesses?

Markstrom has put up very solid numbers in the AHL for multiple seasons now. It is strange that it hasn't translated into NHL success.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Goalies don't return much. There is no way of getting good value for him so screw that idea.

We traded Loungo, Schnierder and lack and got Matthius, a 1st and a 4th in return ? Blah blah blah

Who knows? Maybe some of those poor returns has to do with the dude orchestrating them.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Markstrom might be a good fit behind Miller. He's had a lot of time in the AHL and it'd probably benefit his development to get some sheltered NHL minutes behind a good defense. He can keep gaining experience and (hopefully) be able to take over after Miller's 3 years are up.

But for that to happen, we'd have to trade Lack. I love Eddie, I think he has good starter potential, but he doesn't have much trade value. We'd be trading away a good asset for less than he's worth 'cause of a tricky situation. I also don't know how much it'd help him to play just 25ish games behind Miller, I think he needs more than that at this point.

A trade to Winnipeg probably makes the most sense because he can split time with Pavelec. This would probably be the ideal situation for all parties: Miller can start, Markstrom can develop behind a veteran, Lack will get enough games to continue his development and Ericsson can keep his spot as Utica starter, which is a great spot for him.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Markstrom has put up very solid numbers in the AHL for multiple seasons now. It is strange that it hasn't translated into NHL success.

I'll chalk a lot of it up poor asset management in Florida -and bad hockey teams in front of him - but it's something with Marky and the NHL, I think he's thinking too much, trying to force the step we all expect, instead of letting it happen naturally.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
This.

Yeah, I hope they do this. Let him play in the AHL this year then go from there. He's still only 24, Im pretty sure Schneider wasnt a full time NHLer until 26 so he isnt necessarily a bust yet as goalies often take longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00