Speculation: So what should we give up to get Nikita Gusev back?

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Didn't read any of this thread, but I thought the consensus narrative is we need bigger, tougher, forwards? Why do we want to allocate resources to more small skilled guys?

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Even if the hype turns out to be legit, I would still argue this isn't a guy we should target.
A PMD is far more important but we need a contingency plan for when Stamkos and Kucherov inevitably go AWOL like they always do. Gusev might help with the latter at least but who even knows. I know this team can score by the bucket but it's as if they forget how every time they win a 3rd game of a given series.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A PMD is far more important but we need a contingency plan for when Stamkos and Kucherov inevitably go AWOL like they always do. Gusev might help with the latter at least but who even knows. I know this team can score by the bucket but it's as if they forget how every time they win a 3rd game of a given series.

I'm not sure how many PMDs you think winning teams have. Could we use one? Yeah, probably. Who couldn't? But is it more important than a guy who can clear space in front? I'm not seeing it. I think our #1 need is... well, a new coach. But aside from that, a new Palat.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm not sure how many PMDs you think winning teams have. Could we use one? Yeah, probably. Who couldn't? But is it more important than a guy who can clear space in front? I'm not seeing it. I think our #1 need is... well, a new coach. But aside from that, a new Palat.

At least one who can spread opposing defenses and get pucks through traffic with some degree of consistency when we get boxed out. Hedman and McDonagh are NOT good at it. Now don't get good traffic in front either but we can't even get through the neutral zone either. We have a lot of problems. From not being able to shoot through traffic to skating up ice to screening. I'm under the impression Gusev can at least help.

But no matter what we are going to have to wait for the TDL

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
At least one who can spread opposing defenses and get pucks through traffic with some degree of consistency when we get boxed out. Hedman and McDonagh are NOT good at it. Now don't get good traffic in front either but we can't even get through the neutral zone either. We have a lot of problems. From not being able to shoot through traffic to skating up ice to screening. I'm under the impression Gusev can at least help.

But no matter what we are going to have to wait for the TDL
I'm not a fan of adding a defenseman at the TDL. It's much easier for a forward to adjust to a system. McDonagh was awful for us in 2018.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm not a fan of adding a defenseman at the TDL. It's much easier for a forward to adjust to a system. McDonagh was awful for us in 2018.

That had more to do with his injuries than anything else. I want to say he had a hernia or something like that?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
@Still All In might be able to confirm/deny this, but I'm pretty sure it was about not GUARANTEEING Gusev a roster spot. As opposed to forcing him to play in the AHL. He was going to have to fight for a roster spot like any other player, and he had the opportunity to win one. I don't see how that's absurd when, at the time, Gusev was about 150 lbs and had never played a game in North America. We knew we had a very good team, and had no idea how he would translate. We can't just give away roster spots on a gamble when we had sure things in the top-six.
Yep, basically we'd love to see you but you'll have to earn it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad