So what comes first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The draft won't be for another month, so I'm assuming buyouts.

Although some might wait to try and trade someone at the draft

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Here's what I'd like to see...

July 7 - NHL and NHLPA announce deal, unveil new logo, rules
July 11 - Hold Draft Lottery
July 23/24 - Hold Entry Draft in NY or Toronto, invite top 15 prospects, and try to get NBC to cover first round of draft.
August 1 - Free agency begins
September 15 - Training camp begins
October 1 - Regular season begins

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
EricBowser said:

July 23/24 - Hold Entry Draft in NY or Toronto, invite top 15 prospects, and try to get NBC to cover first round of draft.
I like your dates, but I'd rather switch the draft and free agency. Teams are going to need to know where their holes are as far as UFAs, RFAs and their minor league system before they go after their next generation. I'd also make the season start Oct. 10-15 (where they've traditionally started it) and extend the training camp dates to add pre-season games. These guys haven't played together in a year and need all the warm-up time they can get.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Kritter471 said:
I like your dates, but I'd rather switch the draft and free agency. Teams are going to need to know where their holes are as far as UFAs, RFAs and their minor league system before they go after their next generation. I'd also make the season start Oct. 10-15 (where they've traditionally started it) and extend the training camp dates to add pre-season games. These guys haven't played together in a year and need all the warm-up time they can get.

It will be reversed like you wish. The order will be . . . Lottery . . . Buyouts . . . FA . . . Draft:

Teams will then likely have a transitional phase to make decisions on buyouts and qualifying offers before free agency can begin.

And at some point, likely in early August, the NHL entry draft will be conducted.

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports/article/0,1299,DRMN_2_3899528,00.html

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
EricBowser said:

NBC is NOT going to cover the draft. You are dreaming if you think that would even be given consideration. The NBA and NFL drafts don't even get network TV coverage, and they are a far bigger deal with far more well known players than the NHL draft.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i think buyouts will have immediately after the cba is in place and before the draft occurs. as for teams wanting to trade guys, they don't have to wait till draft day to trade guys for mid-round picks.

the big question is will the start of free agency wait for the draft...given the shortened offseason if they want to schedule the draft in august so they can set up a real draft they might not be able to wait for free agency.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Epsilon said:
NBC is NOT going to cover the draft. You are dreaming if you think that would even be given consideration. The NBA and NFL drafts don't even get network TV coverage, and they are a far bigger deal with far more well known players than the NHL draft.

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see the NHL draft covered in the States on The Ocho.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Kritter471 said:
I like your dates, but I'd rather switch the draft and free agency. Teams are going to need to know where their holes are as far as UFAs, RFAs and their minor league system before they go after their next generation.

Teams don't draft for need. Who they take in the entry draft will be meaningless for 99% of the free agent shopping. For one lucky team planning on throwing Crosby in right away, it might mean they don't have to shop for one FA. It's always done that way, and will be once again.

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
try. T-R-Y to get NBC to show it.

If not, I wouldn't give ESPN the time of day to air the hockey games or this draft live. They've treated hockey like a third rate sport, I'm tired of homeboys like Stuart Scott "representin" or "dissin" or Linda Cohn talking like she's licking from George Steinbrenner's dog dish.

The NHL can't sell itself short with ESPN, Bettman already made a HUGE mistake with the NBC contract and for ESPN to even whine for the same deal is a disgrace considering they did nothing to help this sport.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
PecaFan said:
Teams don't draft for need. Who they take in the entry draft will be meaningless for 99% of the free agent shopping. For one lucky team planning on throwing Crosby in right away, it might mean they don't have to shop for one FA. It's always done that way, and will be once again.
I disagree about drafting for need. I think teams want to know where they're depth lies in terms of the organization before they go into the draft. Like... the Stars probably won't draft a goalie high.

And shouldn't doing the draft lottery before free agency a.) let the team who has the number one pick know they have Crosby and b.) give the other teams with high picks a sense of where they will pick and therefore, who will be available when they go to draft?

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Kritter471 said:
And shouldn't doing the draft lottery before free agency a.) let the team who has the number one pick know they have Crosby and b.) give the other teams with high picks a sense of where they will pick and therefore, who will be available when they go to draft?

If Bettman is looking to add fun and excitment around the lottery and draft (and new NHL), I think it would be added excitment if teams were allowed to sign free agents and trade players and picks before the draft lottery (and draft)...

To trade for a 1st round draft pick would then be like purchasing another lottery ticket - another chance at Crosby... What would that additional shot at getting Crosby be worth to some teams? Hmm...

Now That's Hockey! :sarcasm:

Large_Farva*

I in the Eye said:
If Bettman is looking to add fun and excitment around the lottery and draft (and new NHL), I think it would be added excitment if teams were allowed to sign free agents and trade players and picks before the draft lottery (and draft)...

To trade for a 1st round draft pick would then be like purchasing another lottery ticket - another chance at Crosby... What would that additional shot at getting Crosby be worth to some teams? Hmm...

Now That's Hockey! :sarcasm:

Yeah but no team would trade their 1st round pick before the lottery.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
EricBowser said:
try. T-R-Y to get NBC to show it.

If not, I wouldn't give ESPN the time of day to air the hockey games or this draft live. They've treated hockey like a third rate sport, I'm tired of homeboys like Stuart Scott "representin" or "dissin" or Linda Cohn talking like she's licking from George Steinbrenner's dog dish.

The NHL can't sell itself short with ESPN, Bettman already made a HUGE mistake with the NBC contract and for ESPN to even whine for the same deal is a disgrace considering they did nothing to help this sport.

If you want the NHL draft on TV, you're going to have to swallow your pride because the NHL needs ESPN more than ESPN needs the NHL

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Unfortunately I think the Draft will be heard on radio and the HF server will overload yet once again :cry:

Nothing more frustrating than working on the day of the draft with no radio or no computer....maybe I'll get the August flu instead of the July Flu this year.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
CBA
Buyouts start
draft order established
Buyouts end
Open season starts
Draft
Season

Somewhere before open season the draft order (or at the min the system) will have to be established so teams can trade picks.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Large_Farva said:
Yeah but no team would trade their 1st round pick before the lottery.
Unless it was the brainiac of all brainiacs, Mike Milbury, trying to draft the "Better" Holik or DiPietro Or Bertuzzi (i.e.: his younger brother or sister) or if he was to make another Yashin trade.

But then again, if he keeps the first, he'll bypass Crosby and draft the best goalie of all-time (in his mind)......again.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Kritter471 said:
I disagree about drafting for need. I think teams want to know where they're depth lies in terms of the organization before they go into the draft. Like... the Stars probably won't draft a goalie high.

You draft the best player available at that time REGARDLESS of your need. If the best person to draft when the Stars pick is a goalie, they will pick a goalie regardless if they need one or not. They become trade bait down the road. With the exception of the first couple of picks, chances are they won't be playing in the NHL for a season or two so their position at this point is basically irrelevant.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The NHL Draft itself would be nice on NBC, but for now the important thing to try to get on the tube is the draft lottery. That has the makings of a truly dramatic event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->