So what’s with this split squad business..

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In the first pre-season game(s)?
On the 25th got one game at 6pm @ Calgary, then they play in Seattle @ 7pm. I’m assuming they are televising the in Seattle game?

I hate it when MLB does this in spring training.
There's a rule in the CBA that requires 8 veteran players in each preseason game, so teams tend to split squads anyways.

It's kinda stupid to have 2 games on the same day though, that means splitting the coaching staff along with trainers, doctors, etc.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
idk, kind of makes sense to me. They only have so many days and they need to fit in the games they need to fit in. Coaches then want to address and deal with the whole team at once. If you have a split squad game one night and then another the day after that's 2 days where the coaches can't deal with everybody at once.

It's all pre season anyway. There's only a handful (at most) of guys that are maybes.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
There's a rule in the CBA that requires 8 veteran players in each preseason game, so teams tend to split squads anyways.

It's kinda stupid to have 2 games on the same day though, that means splitting the coaching staff along with trainers, doctors, etc.
Thanks for the clarification. 👍

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
It makes sense to me. It's wise to have assistant coaches run a game plan by themselves in case the Head Coach is unavailable for any particular reason during the season.

Teams get to see more players in game situations in a shorter time frame.

Reactions: Renopucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad