So what’s going on with OHL live?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Big problem with this is supply and demand. NHL has a million fans that will buy this but the OHL has a few thousand if they are lucky. Hardly worth doing this so they jerk up the cost to at least break even. OHL needs more fans like us.

The AHL offers better quality streams, and you can watch all games of your favorite team for $59.99. The AHL might have slightly higher demand but it is not that much better. The AHL has just gotten with the program and actually offers a decent package.

Reactions: ohloutsider

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Pretty much my approach, I just buy the away package as I seldom miss a home game here. Much of the leagues action overlaps anyway, so I wouldn't catch many other games to justify the cost.

Has anybody figured out any settings that help with these streams? My feeds are always choppy. They actually work better on my phone, but no HDMI jack on it.
I use Chrome cast from phone to tv.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm not unhappy with what I get for what I pay. I'm a Flint STH, so I only buy the away game package for $70 CDN ($50-55??? once converted to American dollars). Yeah, some of the broadcasts are definitely like I've stepped back into 1984, but I get my fix.

I don't live in Erie anymore so for me it would cost nearly $150 to watch all of the games (sure, slightly lower with the conversion rate, but still ridiculous imo).

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not unhappy with what I get for what I pay. I'm a Flint STH, so I only buy the away game package for $70 CDN ($50-55??? once converted to American dollars). Yeah, some of the broadcasts are definitely like I've stepped back into 1984, but I get my fix.

This was my approach a few seasons ago. I have Spitfires ST (had them for 20 years) so I saw all of the home games. When I didn't make it on the road, I watched on Cogeco. In the few cases of games not on Cogeco (at the time, it was Flint/Saginaw/Erie, occasional SSM), I watched OHL Live. It was never GREAT quality but at least I got to watch.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Let's get down to the bare bones of this with OHL live, yes its pricey and yes the quality isn't the greatest compared to other services that are out there.

But as a whole for certain markets it will be the best available option to watch certain markets. Take a team like Mississauga they have an online radio feed for home games only and no road broadcasts for the Steelheads in a city that should be hockey crazy, however with with Toronto down the road there is a limited fanbase for OHL hockey in the GTA there has and always will be to those fans who support the Steelheads and OHL live is probably an affordable option for those fans.

Take Owen Sound for example they have a strong fanbase in the area however the surrounding area the makes up a good portion of Owen Sound Attack fans don't have the option for Roger's cable tv making OHL live really the only other alternative way to catch home games. All in all OHL live isn't perfect but for the markets it covers it's still a better option then waiting for Twitter feeds to update scores by the end of the night.

There are many things the OHL and OHL Live could do to make more mainstream however looking at the big picture here for what you pay for to watch a level of hockey that isn't the NHL OHL live is still the better then some other sports league's multimedia coverage out there

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think the best bang for buck option for me would be to get the Team Away package for the Rangers if I was to do it. I have season seats so there is no point in the home and away. As much as I would love to have access to all the games across the league, I likely would not use it enough to warrant the purchase.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I think the best bang for buck option for me would be to get the Team Away package for the Rangers if I was to do it. I have season seats so there is no point in the home and away. As much as I would love to have access to all the games across the league, I likely would not use it enough to warrant the purchase.

Myself and another poster split an OHL live subscription for Attack road games and even with the tax involved it still adds up to only $40 dollars and change for all 34 regular season road games being that we are in a similar situation where we are STHs we very rarely ever miss more then a game here or there all season.

Out of the last 20 years the Attack has been in existence I've probably only missed 60 games in that time span averaging close to 65 games a season between home games and road games.

However I agree that it would be rather unnecessary to purchase the home subscription of OHL live while being a STH. The road package however is worth the cost in itself to be able to view all the regular season road games as we don't have Rogers cable to view Attack games any other way.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Myself and another poster split an OHL live subscription for Attack road games and even with the tax involved it still adds up to only $40 dollars and change for all 34 regular season road games being that we are in a similar situation where we are STHs we very rarely ever miss more then a game here or there all season.

That's a good call. Can you watch games on multiple screens with that set up? I'm assuming yes.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
That's a good call. Can you watch games on multiple screens with that set up? I'm assuming yes.

I'm not sure about multiple screens as we've never tried it, however we have used a simplistic HDMI projection setup on certain occasions with success, however it all comes down to your internet streaming speed with a Cat5 connection cable you can get fairly good quality production based on which home team broadcast your watching. If you were to use a multi-laptop setup with 2 HDMI sourced TVs I believe it is possible to do that however the quality maybe a bit lacking as you would be using double the your internet capacity to stream the same feed.

From all the games I've watched through the streaming service Erie would probably have one of the better productions I've seen.

However from a small market team as Owen Sound is OHL live is still the best value for your money especially if you lack cable television.

Reactions: robertmac43

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'm fortunate to be in an Eastlink area so I get the OHL package as part of my monthly subscription to the full sports package. Same would be true for Rogers subscribers.

Only issue is this is probably my last year for regular cable before I switch 100% to online programming.

Hopefully they have a reasonable option starting next year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm fortunate to be in an Eastlink area so I get the OHL package as part of my monthly subscription to the full sports package. Same would be true for Rogers subscribers.

Only issue is this is probably my last year for regular cable before I switch 100% to online programming.

Hopefully they have a reasonable option starting next year.

I have friends who are going to be in an EastLink jurisdiction out east this winter. I wonder if they could access OHL games on Eastlink out east even though they are in a QMJHL jurisdiction.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Is there always a viewing party at Buffalo Wild Wings in Oshawa for every away game or is it only certain games?

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Signed up for OHL live last night to watch the Attack @ Barrie. It was horrendous. Lots of pixilation, broken up audio. Did anyone else have issues?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
New idea. OHL live the away package should be included in OHL season ticket packages as a thank you for supporting the team.

I have seasons to Hamilton Forge FC and they are giving everyone One Soccer (OHL live equivalent) for free next year with the purchase of season seats.

Reactions: Tarantula

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
New idea. OHL live the away package should be included in OHL season ticket packages as a thank you for supporting the team.

I have seasons to Hamilton Forge FC and they are giving everyone One Soccer (OHL live equivalent) for free next year with the purchase of season seats.

I can't see the OHL doing that as the live stream has very little to do with the league itself and more to do with local cable companies televising the league as a secondary programming in a lot of markets.

This year OHL teams opted for a reduced price for eligible STHs prior to the season starting with reduced prices on road game subscriptions.

If the league were to open up to a free subscription for the coming season ahead then it would completely defeat the purpose for fans to sign up for OHL live in the first place.

There are still a lot of smaller market teams in the OHL/CHL that would loose attendance if there was a free form of a streaming service were available.

What would be a better option for the OHL to do with a there live streaming service would be similar to what Netflix did when TV streaming was introduced.

First month free on initial signup for first time users or 1 season pass free apon initial sign up before committing to purchase a subscription to allow first time streamers to make the decision to purchase any additional packages. Then once fans re-subscribe if they choose to then do similar packages to what teams do to STHs by having early bird pricing to a certain date before increasing the price to a set fee for the season.

The smiliar thing could be used for playoff games as well by allowing fans to pre-purchase games 1&2 or 3&4 in the best of 7 depending on whether or not your team qualifies for the playoffs as the home ice advantage team.

Giving the fans the ability to purchase a full or home/road subscription to OHL live up straight up to gameday if they choose to. This would help those fans who are in playoff series against long distance opponents e.g. Soo, Ottawa,Saginaw etc. Who may not road trip during the post-season or vacation.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Barrie's is the worst...terrible.
I only see Barrie’s feed once a year, so it’s difficult to remember but in the Western Conf Sault Ste Marie has to be the worst. Camera’s may or may not be viewing the zone play is actually in, no on screen info so you won’t know how much time is on the clock or Power Play info or even the score if you weren’t keeping track.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
As I've stated before in this thread OHL live feeds are okay not great.

Keep in mind a lot of OHL live feeds are rebroadcast local cable feeds and most local feeds are of standard definition feeds. As there is no league standard for TV feeds in the OHL it comes down to individual cities best available local television production standards they can get.

Keep in mind that the CHL is by no means the NHL if it were we would see a more equal production for television production standards in the CHL and better feeds. Until that happens some productions are still going to be better than others.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Sportsnet CHL 2019-20 Broadcast schedule was changed from TBA October to TBA November

Something is a muck.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Just checked in as I wanted to catch the road game tonight. Only 2 sub choices available? All month pass or game by game. What happened to the option for a sub for teams roadies only?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad