So we splurged on new rims

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
The gf and I ordered new 18" Fuel beast rims a week ago for our 05' navigator. This all came about because we purchased new Firestone Destination a/t tires and 2 of the rims wouldn't balance.

Man what an ordeal! Literally thousands of options and let alone trying to get both parties in agreement. We have never purchased rims before so it was a learning experience as well. Took us nearly two weeks to decide, but we finally did and think we're happy. Have to wait another week or so for shipping. Fingers crossed it will look good

https://www.google.ca/search?q=fuel...AUICSgB&biw=360&bih=512#imgrc=cFMjnUUv_RXq9M:

Edit * yes we checked about 20 different scrap yards for stock rims and nadda one

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I like the look of those. Curious how they'll look on the Navigator, which still looks very good for a 12 year old truck IMO.

It's tough when wheel shopping. Tons of options, and then you have to make sure the offset isn't too extreme.

Deleted member 274563

I like the look of those. Curious how they'll look on the Navigator, which still looks very good for a 12 year old truck IMO.

It's tough when wheel shopping. Tons of options, and then you have to make sure the offset isn't too extreme.

Last edited by a moderator:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Thanks guys. Truck is silver btw and we didn't want chrome rims again. We tried to pick something not too "trucky" (after all we still have a 99 tahoe) and not too blingy. This wasn't pimp my ride lol. And yes factory offset. I liked a couple worx rim models but either the offset was off or didn't come in 18's. Oh and still on the air ride

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
The offset on those older navs have to be bang on factory. They came with air ride. They're **** to work on. I work at a Ford dealer.

Those wheels look decent bro.

Yea, my father had a Navigator with the air suspension, that had a boatload of issues. Yanked it out for a traditional suspension. Next day a semi ran a red light and totaled the truck(he was fine-somehow).

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Yea, my father had a Navigator with the air suspension, that had a boatload of issues. Yanked it out for a traditional suspension. Next day a semi ran a red light and totaled the truck(he was fine-somehow).

We've replaced one air bag so far. I'd prefer traditional too like on my tahoe. Running sky jacker shocks and two firestone helper bags in the rear

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
The gf and I ordered new 18" Fuel beast rims a week ago for our 05' navigator. This all came about because we purchased new Firestone Destination a/t tires and 2 of the rims wouldn't balance.

Man what an ordeal! Literally thousands of options and let alone trying to get both parties in agreement. We have never purchased rims before so it was a learning experience as well. Took us nearly two weeks to decide, but we finally did and think we're happy. Have to wait another week or so for shipping. Fingers crossed it will look good

https://www.google.ca/search?q=fuel...AUICSgB&biw=360&bih=512#imgrc=cFMjnUUv_RXq9M:

Edit * yes we checked about 20 different scrap yards for stock rims and nadda one

oh man those are boss.

I was just going to post a new thread asking about tire/wheel packages.
Is Tire Rack the only goddamn site for this? The car i bought, the package only comes with 19"s wrapped in summer tires. Roads in MN get really choppy in the winter so that's obviously not a great choice even with winter tires. Looking for 18"s because the huge brakes make most 17"s impossible.

Also, what's a great-grip winter tire? Anyone have experience? I've used all seasons on my previous cars with little problem (aside from the RWD BMW) but i have performance summers, i need new wheels, so i might as well go full winter on a second set. :(

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
oh man those are boss.

Is Tire Rack the only goddamn site for this? The car i bought, the package only comes with 19"s wrapped in summer tires. Roads in MN get really choppy in the winter so that's obviously not a great choice even with winter tires. Looking for 18"s because the huge brakes make most 17"s impossible.

Also, what's a great-grip winter tire? Anyone have experience? I've used all seasons on my previous cars with little problem (aside from the RWD BMW) but i have performance summers, i need new wheels, so i might as well go full winter on a second set. :(

I did a lot of looking on tire rack just for research/idea purposes but since I'm in Canada I never looked seriously due to shipping. Most decent tire stores will have wheel manufacturers they deal with and in my case I ended up going through a performance/accessory parts dealer. So get on the phone in that regard.

As far as winter tires go I've had great luck with Yokohama and michelin

RichWVU

Sep 17, 2014
oh man those are boss.

This sounds very familiar, haha. What's the car? Occasionally brand-centric sites can help with tire and wheel combos.

I did end up going with tirerack for my winter set-up, generic 18" wheels with 255 Michelin X-Ices all around. Tires can only do so much with RWD and a peaky V10, but they have gotten me around pretty well the last two winters.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Nice wheel choice. Here is my 07 Navigator with 24" wheels. Never had an issue with the air bags.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
This sounds very familiar, haha. What's the car? Occasionally brand-centric sites can help with tire and wheel combos.

I did end up going with tirerack for my winter set-up, generic 18" wheels with 255 Michelin X-Ices all around. Tires can only do so much with RWD and a peaky V10, but they have gotten me around pretty well the last two winters.

it's an audi s3...so not "huge" considering you're driving something with a v10 around but too big for audi OEM 17s i guess. Local dealers have one set of rims that will fit, and they want $2k+ for the tire/wheel combo. So...no. Think i'll just get some cheap wheels and Dunlop winters from TireRack. I assume they take them back free of shipping charges if you use their computer and they send you stuff that scrapes your brakes.

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
it's an audi s3...so not "huge" considering you're driving something with a v10 around but too big for audi OEM 17s i guess. Local dealers have one set of rims that will fit, and they want $2k+ for the tire/wheel combo. So...no. Think i'll just get some cheap wheels and Dunlop winters from TireRack. I assume they take them back free of shipping charges if you use their computer and they send you stuff that scrapes your brakes.

My first real splurge on a vehicle was on a 2004 a6 2.7t Quattro when I was 20. I just use standard all season tires and that thing was like a snowmobile in the snow. It was a damn lemon in every other way but great in the snow.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
The rims actually arrived yesterday afternoon. Could have got them put on then, but then I thought it would look dumb with chrome lug nuts so we ordered black ones which are in already. Will be going on today or tomorrow. I'm not good at posting images nor do i use a photobucket type site so if someone is willing to accept an email for the sake of posting the truck after, that would be cool.

The rims themselves look awesome IMO. The way they change color depending on the light/angle is amazing. Goes from all matte black to a goldish/bronze tint and sometimes a silver tint. Neat stuff but the test will be how it actually looks on the truck.

Pm me for pic help

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
My first real splurge on a vehicle was on a 2004 a6 2.7t Quattro when I was 20. I just use standard all season tires and that thing was like a snowmobile in the snow. It was a damn lemon in every other way but great in the snow.

I had a '04 allroad. tank in the winter with all seasons. so many things went wrong with that car but like a dummy i kept it out of warranty for too long.

i'm extending the hell out of the warranty for this one. love it.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Update: she's left me and has the truck lol.

They look decent but too much rubber imo. 20's would have been better but like I stated the tires were purchased first. FML

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
i hope you're not serious? I ended up going with really plain a3 oem 17"s at the dealer. they were three years old and closeout. wrapped in dunlop wintersport 3d's. They sold them to me for $1400 but that includes keeping my offseason set at Audi, and them doing the swap every season for two years. I don't think I'll like the way they look on but our roads suck in the winter and that's a lot more rubber to soak up the damage.

Reactions: RichWVU

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->