Speculation: So the premature 'Does Iggy resign with the Pens' poll

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think he'll love playing here enough to sign an extension. He gets to ride shotgun with the best player in the game and compete for multiple cups the rest of his career. He can retire a Flame his final year in the league.

The cap goes down next year but Geno/Letang's extensions don't kick in until the following year. It seems the league is doing just fine after the lockout. 70 mil cap could very well be a reality. At that time, we'll have a decent amount of youth on the backend to offset signing Iggy and raises to Geno and Letang.

But yeah, this was more than worth it if only for one year.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm not going to comment because I'm not a Pens fan, but it wouldn't surprise me if he gave them a discount.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Ideally, the Penguins win the Cup. Iginla signs with Calgary in July, gets his C back, and everyone's happy.

Or he stays here for two more years, has more chances to win Cups... then goes back to Calgary and everyone's happy. ;)

But yah, that's been my fear the whole time... that he goes right back there. However, given the price Shero paid (which was much lower than I ancitipated), I wouldn't even be sort of upset if he went back (assuming we won the Cup). It's a relatively small price to pay to give your team the best chance of winning, and Shero did it.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I don't know if anyone else has caught Iginla's presser on TSN, but he really doesn't sound like a guy who plans to jump ship right back to Calgary come summertime. There was a note of finality in his tone with respect to his time as a Flame. If we can offer him a suitable contract, and he likes the room & Pittsburgh, I'd expect him to be brought back on a 3-4 year deal.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He can play another 4-5 years if he wants. He consistently came into Flames camp as the best in shape player every year. I feel that if the Pens win it all this year he will quietly go back to the Flames, but if they dont I could easily see him signing 1-2 years at a moderate cap hit to try and win.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Iginla said in the presser that he wants to play 5 more years. I'd take him back and let guys like Orpik and Kunitz go if need be. This really depends on what Iginla wants to do though and his family will obviously play a huge part in this decision. It's very hard to predict because I can see it going either way. The good news is that we only gave up a 1st and a couple decent prospects. It won't really hurt that bad if he leaves for nothing since we didn't give up a ton.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I have no idea, but All-in seems to be the Pens thing lately, so went with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad