Speculation: So the premature 'Does Iggy resign with the Pens' poll

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Do you think that this is a rental, or the longer term solution to the Pens wing issue? By longer term I of course mean maybe 4 years, but that takes Crosby almost to age 30. Long term enough.

So thoughts?

Hmmm, poll option did not work. can a mod add a poll?

The five options:

WTF, we signed Iginla?

Already dude? Let us enjoy the signing. Oh yeah, rental.

Beau knows Iggy is here for a few years.

I never realized Neal had such a shapely backside

Sock Monkey

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I figure best case scenario he's here for 1-3 years at 4-5 per. Iginla has to retire in Calgary, he just has to. But if we win the cup this year, I'll feel like we got incredible value for what we spent even if he walks back to Calgary this summer.

If he were to re-sign on a short term deal, though, I would be really excited as a fan of the game. Iginla playing with Crosby for a few years would just be magic.

P.S. He's also the perfect Bennett mentor. Iginla does everything that a winger is supposed to do at a really high level, and is the classiest act you can ever hope to find -- who better to teach Beau the ways?

Master Shake*

I say offer him 4 for 20 right now. Hes not going to see 7 again from anyone, especially with the cap going down.

heres salaries and cap
http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=26

Kennedy gone
Adams hard to say
Dupuis hard to say
Cooke will have to take a Adams like contract

We can work it if we drop some guys making over 750kish
Id say for sure Kennedy, Glass
Id say Vokoun maybe a a salary target
Id say Martin has an excellent chance of being moved after the season. He really increased his value this year and hes a 5 mill hit.

It is very feasible Morrow will resign for 2 mill.

I like our odds of keeping the team intact. The hardest part will be the following year with Letang, Sutter, Orpik, Niskanen, Engelland, Despres, Kunitiz

Malkin matching Sids contract would be huge for us.

Master Shake*

a big question is when is the cap eligible to go back up? Anyone know? I do believe it can go back up after next year. If that is the case, and revenues rise as they have been, it is very possible we could see a 70 mill cap again for 2014-15

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
a big question is when is the cap eligible to go back up? Anyone know? I do believe it can go back up after next year. If that is the case, and revenues rise as they have been, it is very possible we could see a 70 mill cap again for 2014-15

Nailed it.

That 2013-14 season is going to be tricky...but with Geno and Letang still on their current deals it would be possible to take a gamble on the cap going up the following year...but moves would still need to be made (namely Dupuis/Cooke/Kennedy not being brought back and/or one or two of the defenders being dealt).

Poll added. I say Iginla re-signs if we don't win, but regardless negotations won't begin until the season is over. Either way he'll be in either Pittsburgh or Calgary.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Well.... if there is anything that could make it more feasible for Malkin and Letang (and Iginla) to give discounts, it is for us to have a sickeningly strong lineup that steamrolls its way to the cup.
Because that is what those guys want.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah this is what I'm hoping for as well. I agree with your math from above -- if we can re-sign Iggy for 4-5 per, it's all totally feasible. Because I imagine a guy like Borts will re-sign for peanuts on a safety deal, and we can always bring back Eaton as a depth guy if we had to.

HRR has to go up, right? Think of the endless streams of Iginla Pens jerseys flying off the shelves...:laugh:

Master Shake*

Nailed it.

That 2013-14 season is going to be tricky...but with Geno and Letang still on their current deals it would be possible to take a gamble on the cap going up the following year...but moves would still need to be made (namely Dupuis/Cooke/Kennedy not being brought back and/or one or two of the defenders being dealt).

Poll added. I say Iginla re-signs if we don't win, but regardless negotations won't begin until the season is over. Either way he'll be in either Pittsburgh or Calgary.

I really think the guys for sure gone after this year if not before in some cases, are Kennedy, Glass, Vokoun, Martin, Cooke if he does not sign to bottom end contract.

Adams is dirt cheap. You do not get any cheaper of a contract. This for a guy who blocks shots, plays hard and plays soild on the 4th line. But hes getting long in the tooth. Still has another year or 2 in him. I think they might leave it up to him.

Martin is iffy but that 5 mill looks large if you are trying to hold on to Iginla and Morrow.

I do not see any vets getting raises after this season. Dupuis is the only guy who could or stay same salary.

Morrow I could see being signed for something like 3 years 1.8 per. Barring a crazy playoff performance

next season

Kunitz Crosby Iginla
Bennett Malkin Neal
Morrow Sutter Dupuis
Cooke Vitale Adams

Orpik Despres
Letang Niskanen
Engelland ?
7th- Murray if cheap?

That team will fit under cap even with Iginla at 6 mill

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
I think one of the reasons Boston didn't land him is because their 1st pick was conditional on Iggy resigning there. I hope he stays but I really think he's going back to Calgary after this season.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Cooke will be gone. He's declining.

Get rid of Glass. Waive him or trade for bags of pucks. I don't care how.

Duper will get a raise which he deserves. I don't know if we can fit him here if Iggy signs a new contract. It depends on numbers.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Just for reference's sake, the Pens have 16 players signed -- 14 guys on one-way deals plus Despres and Bennett -- for 2013-14.

For the final 6-7 spots they have roughly ~$10 million. Going to be a tight fit for Iginla.

If it comes down to it, remember that they have the amnesty buyout option, so that at least gives some flexibility. Add in that they're going to be negotiating already with Malkin and Letang and you've got a very tricky summer to navigate.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Just for reference's sake, the Pens have 16 players signed -- 14 guys on one-way deals plus Despres and Bennett -- for 2013-14.

For the final 6-7 spots they have roughly ~$10 million. Going to be a tight fit for Iginla.

If it comes down to it, remember that they have the amnesty buyout option, so that at least gives some flexibility. Add in that they're going to be negotiating already with Malkin and Letang and you've got a very tricky summer to navigate.
I know you're supposed to use the amnesty buyout on big toxic contracts, but Tanner Glass at 1.1 is toxic enough for me. Kick this bum out in the summer. Or now. Your call, Shero.

Beyond that, Orpik's cap hit will be a bit difficult to swallow next year. Maybe move him in the summer? Then again, the guy has an A, so it may not be so easy...

Obviously Martin would have been the whipping boy of old, but this year's Martin is easily worth 5 mil. No interest in losing this egg chef.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I know you're supposed to use the amnesty buyout on big toxic contracts, but Tanner Glass at 1.1 is toxic enough for me. Kick this bum out in the summer. Or now. Your call, Shero.

Beyond that, Orpik's cap hit will be a bit difficult to swallow next year. Maybe move him in the summer? Then again, the guy has an A, so it may not be so easy...

Obviously Martin would have been the whipping boy of old, but this year's Martin is easily worth 5 mil. No interest in losing this egg chef.

We just traded for two captains. It's very doable.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Honestly the Pens would probably get more mileage out of letting Cooke and Adams walk in the off-season than buying out Glass.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Honestly the Pens would probably get more mileage out of letting Cooke and Adams walk in the off-season than buying out Glass.

We don't have to buy out Glass. If we cannot trade him, we can just waive him. His type of player is picked up every 1st of July. Someone will find a consistent if not at all ferocious hitter to be worthy of signing at 1.1.

SweetStache

Jan 28, 2013
Considering the price, it doesn't really matter if he's just a rental. That said, I'd love to see him sign a 3 year 12MM deal.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We don't have to buy out Glass. If we cannot trade him, we can just waive him. His type of player is picked up every 1st of July. Someone will find a consistent if not at all ferocious hitter to be worthy of signing at 1.1.

Also an option. I'm fine with it either way.

That said, the odds are against Iggy resigning here, I think, but at least it was a relatively cheap price for the best winger on the market.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Tough to say but unless we really make a mess of the playoff run, he'll stay for at least one year (especially if we come close but don't win it). I would guess at his age, he'd ask for 3 years and a reduced hit unless he just blows up in the playoffs / is totally rejuvenated. I'd be fine with 3 years $4M-5M (5 would be tougher to take but it's probably a good risk if he shows great chemistry with Sid). He'll be 36 in July so it's a risk but hey, if Ray Whitney can play till he's 40... as long as Iggy stays in good shape he should be able to at least surpass what Guerin did (and for as long as he did) in terms of keeping up with the pace of play. I don't expect Iggy's game to disappear overnight.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I'd be fine with 4 years or even 5 at a reduce Cap hit

I honestly think he is in great shape and can player another 4-5 years, maybe not at the pace he has in the past but can still be a productive 2nd liner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad