So the Canucks don't have a 2nd line anymore...

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
And our drafting sucks because we lost a lot of picks and made sub par selections with the picks we did keep.

It didn't help we have been drafting pretty late for so many years in a row. But, the last couple drafts have been good if these guys can develop.

One could argue that Jensen is ready to stay on the big team now....horvart should get a pretty good look for our at least our third line...

We will for sure pick up some free agents...the rumors about who the canucks have talked to is out there to see....

I'm betting we see biznasty, bolland and miller....to help stop gap us to at least being competitive. I don't think we will win the cup or even come close....however, it is a work in progress and today was the start.

Patchey*

The Wild traded for Nino, Moulson and Pominville and signed Perise and Suter in FA.

If you sign and trade for the right guys, it can work. I'd take the Wild's roster before I took Edmontons

I would take Edmontons roster. They have talent in their forward core and some solid young Defensive prospects. They just need to mature

Kruddler

Jun 5, 2009
And in 365 days the Hawks are probably going to face some serious cap problems and that depth is going to be tested.

Perhaps sooner. There's a reason Sharp's name is in the rumor mill.

I'm guessing the Nucks add a couple bodies in FA (including a stop-gap goalie), challenge for a 6-8 spot in the playoffs (since the D is pretty solid and the Sedins will bounce back), and bow out in the first round. But, on the plus side, they've added Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, and McCann to a bare prospect cupboard.

Benning needs to get a few 2nd or late round steals, move one of their young Gs for prospect/pick (since they can't afford to waive either), and be patient.

They aren't competing with the Hawks, Ducks, or Blues this season regardless, so patience is key.

Kruddler

Jun 5, 2009
I would take Edmontons roster. They have talent in their forward core and some solid young Defensive prospects. They just need to mature

Edmonton's problem is that they can't get anybody that has a choice to play there. If they could add a few vets, they could be dangerous in a hurry.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Top free agents:

- Vanek (will go to Wild)
- Stastny (Rumoured to Hawks)
- Boyle (Unsure... rumour to Toronto)
- Niskanen
- Orpik
- Cammalleri
- Iginla
- Hemsky
- Ribeiro
- Gionta
- Leino
- Whitney
- Malone
- Michalek
- Moulson
- Vrbata
- Ott
- Kulemin

shoot me now.

Is no one interested in giving some of our youngsters a shot at being the second line?

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Kassian for example. I personally feel its time to inject our youth into our line up.

honestly, i think this is the only way. that list of terrible/injury-prone/redundant players will not only all make too much money relative to talent, but i doubt any of them will take anything under three years at the absolute least. none would suck it up and take a short term and anything less than an overpayment to join this team, anyway.

better to suck now, i guess. and i say that having never once in my life advocated tanking, but looking at the team now, looking at yesterday's moves, looking at how we seemingly have nine third liners and two top six players, and looking at how we just gave away a second pair D and acquired a worse one... [groan]... if the plan is to go the UFA route, that's a terrible plan.

integrate the young guys. go with a sedin line, a sheltered second line of kiddos (some combo of kassian, jensen, horvat, shinkaruk, and i guess maybe if we're really really lucky virtanen), a beefed up third line that plays the real second line minutes (assuming santo and hansen are gone, some combo of higgins, burrows, bonino, matthias, and benning's mom), grit your teeth, hope the kids learn something this year, and send the aqualinis to both sedins' doorsteps to prostrate to the knee and apologize profusely for wasting a year of their careers every single day, like micky arison is doing right this second at lebron's.

putridgasbag

Grand Poohba
Oct 18, 2006
Comox Valley
You guys do realize that Bonino had the second highest TOI/G amongst Duck centers. You know maybe he can play a little for the Canucks. Or does getting traded to the Canucks automatically mean that he regresses and stagnates.

Who knows maybe one of the players already on the roster jumps up and takes the brass ring. There are also trades and free agents. Come on it is still flipping June and a long time until October. I will wait to see how the team fleshes out. Hell even if they suck I still will be watching a cheering just like every other year.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Perhaps sooner. There's a reason Sharp's name is in the rumor mill.

I'm guessing the Nucks add a couple bodies in FA (including a stop-gap goalie), challenge for a 6-8 spot in the playoffs (since the D is pretty solid and the Sedins will bounce back), and bow out in the first round. But, on the plus side, they've added Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, and McCann to a bare prospect cupboard.

Benning needs to get a few 2nd or late round steals, move one of their young Gs for prospect/pick (since they can't afford to waive either), and be patient.

They aren't competing with the Hawks, Ducks, or Blues this season regardless, so patience is key.

If we do make the playoffs and have our young guys in they at least get some valuable play experience.

I'm not sure why all the doom and gloom....I mean...we knew this was comming....new we had to make changes. I think I saw more action today by the GM then I have seen by any Canucks GM in about 20 years. He obviously has a plan, and is changing the canucks to that reality.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
I'm not even sure the Canucks have a first line anymore...

I think this is the biggest worry. I think Henrik is elite, but if Daniel has a repeat of last season, he may be done, and the Canucks are McDavid bound.

If he bounces back, the Canucks will still be in tough to make the playoffs. There is no true PP QB at this moment, and little scoring up front. On the right side Burrows, Kassian and Jensen should produce some, on the left side we pray for Daniel, then it's not pretty - Mattias? Higgins? Hansen? After Hank maybe Bonino? Horvat?

The Canucks should be fine defensively with their vets, but offense will be difficult to generate. Lots of low scoring tight checking gmaes. Call ups like Fox, Shinkaruk, Gaunce can't be considered viable in their first year as pros, but they may help when there are injuries. The free agents may help some, but the new core needs to mature.

Really, it looks like a very bad transition year.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
I think this is the biggest worry. I think Henrik is elite, but if Daniel has a repeat of last season, he may be done, and the Canucks are McDavid bound.

If he bounces back, the Canucks will still be in tough to make the playoffs. There is no true PP QB at this moment, and little scoring up front. On the right side Burrows, Kassian and Jensen should produce some, on the left side we pray for Daniel, then it's not pretty - Mattias? Higgins? Hansen? After Hank maybe Bonino? Horvat?

The Canucks should be fine defensively with their vets, but offense will be difficult to generate. Lots of low scoring tight checking gmaes. Call ups like Fox, Shinkaruk, Gaunce can't be considered viable in their first year as pros, but they may help when there are injuries. The free agents may help some, but the new core needs to mature.

Really, it looks like a very bad transition year.

I'd take a shot on Hemsky with the Sedins. He's got hands, and can slow the game down similar to the Sedins. Plus, he was showing some flashy upside in his time with the Sens.

WhatTheNuck

Jun 17, 2014
Cumberland, B.C.
I'd take a shot on Hemsky with the Sedins. He's got hands, and can slow the game down similar to the Sedins. Plus, he was showing some flashy upside in his time with the Sens.

Hemsky is terrible defensively though. Not sure Benning and Linden would go down that path for that reason alone.

Offensively though, wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcMd-VWeoPI

I still don't think he has played an 82 games season in his career either. Closest was 81 in 2005 I think?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad