So Seguin isn't happy with negotiations.

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Question is:

How much would you give up to get him on the Jets?

I'd say Wheeler (and I am a huge Wheeler fan)

Remember its good luck to trade Wheels

Look at the Bruins. Trade him off win the cup.

Although I wouldn't want to even see the Jets hoist without that guy.

Or would you even want Seguin?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Question is:

I think Seguin could be a very useful center for the Jets. A center who can score goals but is also a good playmaker. This kind of a player with Scheifele as the other top 6 center would immediately make the Jets a serious Stanley Cup contender. And there is enough of very good quality wingers to pretty much cover for maybe losing Wheeler.

The only problem I really see is, that I’m pretty sure that getting Seguin would take more than just Wheeler. Wheeler is just that much older and also he is ”just” a winger, and as the NHL has the strange center fetish, it would likely mean that the center argument would be strongly used in a possible trade. I don’t personally agree about the positional importance difference, but it is what it is in the NHL at the moment. To me it really has to do the most with how good the talent is and what are the real positional needs for each teams.

So I believe that it would take a pretty high draft pick or a quite good prospect to get Seguin. Of course might also depend on what kind of a situation Dallas would have with their positional distribution at that moment.

I could maybe settle with Wheeler + Appleton or Wheeler + Lemieux for Seguin, but honestly nothing more than that. Hard to say what pick would be enough, but maybe Wheeler + 3rd round pick would be still ok? But would it be enough for the Stars?

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Due to the positional need and age, trading Wheeler for Seguin would be a huge win for the Jets going forward.

Emotionally though, I don't think anybody would like that. Wheeler is a great captain, all time assists leader and 2nd in points in franchise history.

Otherwise a young almost PPG center playing with great goal differential in a team that is not winning too much is like no-brainer pick.

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Sequin-Roslovic

(Perreault, Petan, Vesalainen, Copp, all waiting for games on TOP-6).

Pretty awesome 1a/1b if you ask me.

Add in Lowry line to shut down the opponent and then a 4th that plays like 12 minutes, and you are pretty much set for the SC run.

The main problem is that Dallas is not going to make that trade, and even if they made, cap will be still a problem for the Jets.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
A signed Trouba for a signed Seguin.

That would be amazing, given that Trouba's GF clearly wants him out of Canada. Dallas is still some 1300 miles from Fort Lauderdale, but it's kind of half way there anyway...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets will be at the cap for the foreseeable future. How is that not obvious?
It is obvious to most of us who follow the Jets closely. While the Jets could use a #2 center in no way Seguin is on their radar. He is a pending UFA that wants in the neighborhood of $11 M a season. If Chevy is going to be trading his mentor and tied to the hip linemate in Wheeler for Seguin and then give him $11 M a season, Chevy might as well stop by Scheifele's condo on the way and kick him in the nuts.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Trouba + Little for Seguin.

As Bogo said though, Seguin is too expensive salary-wise I think...

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Seguin and Scheifele would be an amazing 1/2 punch at centre. I don't see how the Jets can realistically make it happen though. I think Dallas end up signing him anyway, but pretending for a moment that he was available....

Dallas would definitely not want to trade him in the division. After that hurdle, I'd imagine the ask would be huge. A signed Trouba would be a huge part, but that's assuming Trouba would sign there. Otherwise I'd imagine they would want one of our young talents like Connor or Ehlers, and probably Roslovic as well. Possibly a pick too. And that is also assuming the Jets can sign Seguin for something reasonable that fits into the cap.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Trouba + Little for Seguin.

As Bogo said though, Seguin is too expensive salary-wise I think...

Little has NTC and would not waive that to play for Dallas, I'm afraid.

I don't believe Sequin will get 11M, so Little + Trouba will cost more than Sequin. It's rumoured that Trouba wants 7+ millions and Little gets 6.5, though AAV is "only" 5.3.

These are only daydreams as Dallas is not giving Sequin away.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Question is:

:laugh: Is trading Wheels good luck, or is it trading Seguin?

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
This is the type of thing that should be in the trade and free agent megathread.

To address the post itself, I don't see the point in paying out the ass to acquire a division rivals 1C when we already have a high end 1C ourselves. Especially when the whole reason he might be available is due to ongoing contract negotiations.

Reactions: Jack722

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I just we traded Kane for him in 2013. Because they had Chiarelli, Boston might of even added in our favour. On the downside, no Armia, Myers, Stafford, Lemieux or Roslovic.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
IMO Tyler Seguin, at the kind of cap hit he'll require going forward, is not the player you trade for if you are serious about winning the Stanley Cup.

His next contract will definitely be 10M+ AAV and based on his points production he is likely worth that. But outside points I don't see much in him. Strikes me as a player primarily concerned with his own numbers, not team success.

Reactions: Channelcat

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seguin and Scheifele would be an amazing 1/2 punch at centre. I don't see how the Jets can realistically make it happen though. I think Dallas end up signing him anyway, but pretending for a moment that he was available....

Dallas would definitely not want to trade him in the division. After that hurdle, I'd imagine the ask would be huge. A signed Trouba would be a huge part, but that's assuming Trouba would sign there. Otherwise I'd imagine they would want one of our young talents like Connor or Ehlers, and probably Roslovic as well. Possibly a pick too. And that is also assuming the Jets can sign Seguin for something reasonable that fits into the cap.

Lotta problems with the idea - but in off-season fantasy world .... Trouba + Wheeler for Seguin + Johns. No way Johns is a replacement for Trouba but he is their best RD after Klingberg.

Moving both Trouba and Wheeler allows Jets enough cap space to sign Seguin. Each team gets a RHS F and a RHS Dman. Add in a couple of conditional picks to complete the packages.

Realistically both Trouba and Wheeler probably re-sign with Dallas. Unfortunately, Seguin probably goes to UFA. But you never know, maybe playing on a legitimate contender does it for him.

Edit: :laugh: Subtract Seguin and add Trouba and Wheeler and Dallas has $1.00 remaining cap space this year. Subtract Johns and they have $2,350,001 with 2 players to add.

Jets have over 13 mil with 2 to add and bonuses to pay.

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Jets will be at the cap for the foreseeable future. How is that not obvious?

Only if your foreseeable future has the Jets as strong Cup contenders every year to provide some significant playoff revenue. If this team starts to sink down again in the standings, making early exits or missing the playoffs entirely, I can see them making some money saving moves. Why pay top dollar if you aren't getting the desired returns?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Only if your foreseeable future has the Jets as strong Cup contenders every year to provide some significant playoff revenue. If this team starts to sink down again in the standings, making early exits or missing the playoffs entirely, I can see them making some money saving moves. Why pay top dollar if you aren't getting the desired returns?
If the Jets don't have good enough players why would they spend to the cap for a bad roster?

The Jets now have a top-end core that is primed to contend. They'll spend to the cap to try to win as long as that core is effective, which should be for several years from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad