Speculation: "So No Richards?" and Other Divergent Points

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
The Summer of 2011 was weird. "Hockey Heaven" looked like something other than a joke with the trade for Ehrhoff and for a little while it seemed as if the Sabres might really come out of free agency with a bona fide #1 center in Brad Richards. They didn't, of course, and the rest is history. They missed the playoffs the next year, acquiring Hodgson for Kassian and arguably kickstarting a rebuild that would end the Buffalo careers of Regier/Ruff.

It's only three years later, but Richards is looking like a likely buyout come the end of the season. I wonder, then, what would have happened had the Sabres managed to acquire Richards instead of Ville Leino. Would they have even started rebuilding yet, or chased a long shot by mortgaging the future? Would Girgensons, Ristolainen, or Zadorov be future Sabres? Would Richards' signing have inspired other FAs to give Buffalo a chance and allow the team to avoid the sharp decline they've since exhibited?

Obviously any answer to these questions will be subjective and not in any way falsifiable. Still, I think it serves as a nice example that even what may be supported as a 100% slam dunk move (yes, even by me) might have been a mistake narrowly avoided through no credit of their own.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I also wonder if things would be different if we had signed Scott earlier and he went full-kessel on Lucic before he ran over Ryan Miller.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I've thought about this a few times myself. We probably would've ended up complaining how Richards took an easy paycheck and promptly put his feet up. That's the evil nature of free agency and guaranteed contracts in the NHL though. So imo, Richards would've made a small difference over Leino, but not enough to change the direction of the franchise.

I'm content with where Buffalo is now, and I hope that Murray doesn't pay any other UFAs to glide around the ice with a new shiny paycheck and no motivation.

ceky

Dec 1, 2009
Vienna
FA deadline was a weird day .... biggest question on hf as far as i remember: is it possible to butt-dail that "so no richards" message as was claimed by the daugther ...

as you said, the leino fiasco (compared to a possible richards "semi fiasco") helped us on the long run so i'm fine with how it turned out.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I also wonder if things would be different if we had signed Scott earlier and he went full-kessel on Lucic before he ran over Ryan Miller.

I don't think he could/would have stopped Lucic, but teeing off on him after could have very well changed the emotional landscape of that year's team.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
i think it would have helped. Richards was never a large market player. When he went to the Rags he was under the microscope from day 1 and was pressured. Coming to Buffalo imo would have been better for him ( less pressure) and it might have lured one or two bigger name free agents to join. I think it all worked out in the end and he went to the Rangers and didn't win anything and we have properly engaged in a re-build that will see us hopefully into the playoffs way before Richards contract ends.(2019/2020 with NMC) Btw they have to buy him out this year.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Ehh I think he was set on going to the Rangers...what I think about is imagine if we could of signed Parise and Suter to the supposed 100 million dollar contracts each that was rumored to be given by Buffalo

Suter would of stabilized our defense, and Parise would of added more life to our offense. Maybe that would of attracted another free agent here, or we could of mortgaged a couple of first rounders and a prospect or 2 or 3 to get a high end center (on top of Hodgson which we traded for). But the problem with the trade part of course is that Darcy valued his players wayyy too much. Sure he would rob other people of trades, but he never took a true risk in getting that big gun.

Either way, I still think even with Parise and Suter we would of been a ways away of truly being contenders. We would be a team that makes the playoffs, but not a team that goes deep in the playoffs. Maybeee with miller's play we could, but i'm just not sure we would of had the true depth.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Richards signing would have resulted in one playoff series at least and would have postponed the trades of Gaustad, Roy, Regehr, Kassian, Pomer & Vanek. Would have altered the drafts leaving us without Girgs, Grigs, Risto & Zads, although we may have ended up with one of them, trading some expiring veterans is inevitable, just don't think the timing of the trades could remain the same.

I do think we would be at the end of that contention window now anyway, Richards could have bumped us to the 8 seed but there would have been ripples. The Rangers would have bought someone else, they may not make that ridiculous Nash trade (which would have altered the Jackets fate and the Kings acquiring Gaborik this year), and along with the Bruins, Habs, Pens, Flyers, Bolts, Wings remain better than the Sabres.

Preds with Girgensons don't sign Stalberg or Cullen, Wild with Larsson and Hackett don't go after Cooke or Bryzgalov and without Pomer might not be in the playoffs. Spiderweb effect would change nearly every team.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Richards signing would have resulted in one playoff series at least and would have postponed the trades of Gaustad, Roy, Regehr, Kassian, Pomer & Vanek. Would have altered the drafts leaving us without Girgs, Grigs, Risto & Zads, although we may have ended up with one of them, trading some expiring veterans is inevitable, just don't think the timing of the trades could remain the same.

I do think we would be at the end of that contention window now anyway, Richards could have bumped us to the 8 seed but there would have been ripples. The Rangers would have bought someone else, they may not make that ridiculous Nash trade (which would have altered the Jackets fate and the Kings acquiring Gaborik this year), and along with the Bruins, Habs, Pens, Flyers, Bolts, Wings remain better than the Sabres.

Preds with Girgensons don't sign Stalberg or Cullen, Wild with Larsson and Hackett don't go after Cooke or Bryzgalov and without Pomer might not be in the playoffs. Spiderweb effect would change nearly every team.

I agree with a good part of what you said...a few things stick out....

Darcy would have still done the the Kassian/Hodgson trade. Gaustead still would have been traded. Remember when he was traded Buffalo was still battling for a playoff spot.

The core UFAs would still have gotten traded. Darcy wasnt going to get burned again by having players walk for nothing in return. He already saw that happen in roughly 2006-2008 period.

Nashvilles pick at 21 would not have gotten Girgensons. Remember Buffalo trade up to get him.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Darcy would have still done the the Kassian/Hodgson trade. Gaustead still would have been traded. Remember when he was traded Buffalo was still battling for a playoff spot.

I guess, was thinking that with Richards, Roy, Hecht, Gaustad, Ennis, McCormick they wouldn't make a move for a centre then, a LW would have been more of a need. (assuming Leino didn't happen)

Vanek-Richards-Pomer
XX-Roy-Boyes
Gerbe-Hecht-Stafford

something like that with Gaustad being traded

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad