so NHLers in Turin..or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
I need help from someone who saw the press conference (many possible helpers i would say!)..

I know Olympic participation has been confirmed on several articles yesterday, but during the press conference i heard Bettman stating that it's still uncertain. :dunno:
He was talking about a problem/argument with IIHF as the reason why they still don't know and that's why they can't release the schedule yet (eventual 2 weeks break).. but i didn't understand which is the problem.. anyone who paid attention could clarify please?

Thanks in advance!

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
He did not state it was uncertain. He said they would definitely be available for the games in Turin and Vancouver. That's the whole reason for cancelling the All-Star game during those seasons.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Tekneek said:
He did not state it was uncertain. He said they would definitely be available for the games in Turin and Vancouver. That's the whole reason for cancelling the All-Star game during those seasons.

Actually, Bettman said that for things to become official, the PA needed to sign off on a few things. Until that happens, a schedule cannot be released. Bettman said that there are two schedules prepared -- one in the event that they go to the Olympics, and one in the event that they do not.

He seemed certain, but it is not 100% until the PA signs off.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Ah. Well, the part I heard was him saying there would not be All-Star Games during 2006 and 2010, so that all of the players would be available for the Olympics. The radio station I was listening to broke away before that was mentioned, apparently.

Regency

May 17, 2004
Toronto
The meeting between the PA and the IIHF is scheduled for Monday, so everything should become official then.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Here's an article that perhaps explains what the "sticking" points are.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/Sports/2005/07/23/1144001-sun.html

NHLPA has some things to "sign off on" (shouldn't be a problem).

This not only affects the Olympics and World Championships, but also the IIHF-NHL transfers. (The old agreement expired Spring 2003, IIRC.)

Until the Olympic participation is finalized, the league won't be releasing the schedule. ;)

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Thank you Jobu and LadyStanley! The article you provided seems to report exactly the Bettman's words i could not understand hearing live.

I wonder which are those aspects the players should sign off..maybe something about insurance policies?
I hope you are right about this being only a formality!

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
helicecopter said:
Thank you Jobu and LadyStanley! The article you provided seems to report exactly the Bettman's words i could not understand hearing live.

I wonder which are those aspects the players should sign off..maybe something about insurance policies?
I hope you are right about this being only a formality!

It is only a formality. Can't wait for Olympics 2006.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
helicecopter said:
Me and my tickets are waiting!! :yo:

So you did decide to pony up for the tickets Helice? I remember you mentioning they were very expensive.

It would be a dream trip for me. I could stay in Turin and watch Canada demolish Italy in the first game, and then see Juventus play sometime. Too bad I don't have the money, or time to pull that trip off at this stage of my life. :cry:

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
So you did decide to pony up for the tickets Helice? I remember you mentioning they were very expensive.
They ARE VERY expensive! :madfire: In fact i had to decide for preliminary rounds games and more specifically for those played at Espo, were a 40euros ticket can't mean a behind the net place since as far as i know there won't be standings behind the net in that building! :D
You know, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for me to watch all the best players live, i've been waiting for this chance for so many years that an NHL refusal to send their players would have killed me!

Tricolore#20 said:
It would be a dream trip for me. I could stay in Turin and watch Canada demolish Italy in the first game, and then see Juventus play sometime. Too bad I don't have the money, or time to pull that trip off at this stage of my life. :cry:
C'mon, that would be too great for you with your soccer team playing in the same city.. you can't miss this chance! You should search for work in Turin for those couple of weeks (something i'm considering myself) to afford to be there and buy tickets! :)
As for Canada demolishing Italy, that's an easy prediction.. in fact i didn't even take into consideration to buy any tickets for Italy's games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->