Post-Game Talk: so like game tonight 7:30 against some team

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
There was a point last night when a player was by the boards with his back towards TW and Wilson was skating at him full speed and then stopped last second and avoided contact. I thought that was a good example of how he is changing his game for the better. Maybe last year or two years ago he would have tried to drill that guy and who knows what would happen.

Anybody who is calling TW a no skill goon does not watch him play or is just a hater. Besides being top 3 fighter/pest in the league the dude also provides plenty of offense, creates turnovers, kills penalties and will go through a wall for any guy on his team.

There is another thing that i do not see mentioned on these boards when discussing Wilson, any of you guys really pay attention to him when he is along the boards battling for puck? Whether its in offensive zone or killing penalties the guy is an absolute beast when he is battling for the puck. He looks like he has Mcdavids speed out there when he is rushing from one player to another trying to take the puck away. He is in one place and then in a second he is in another pushing guy into the boards trying to get the puck. It seems like he is the fastest player in the world in those situations and adding his size to the mix i think he is one the best int his league at taking the puck away along the boards.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
There was a point last night when a player was by the boards with his back towards TW and Wilson was skating at him full speed and then stopped last second and avoided contact. I thought that was a good example of how he is changing his game for the better. Maybe last year or two years ago he would have tried to drill that guy and who knows what would happen.

Anybody who is calling TW a no skill goon does not watch him play or is just a hater. Besides being top 3 fighter/pest in the league the dude also provides plenty of offense, creates turnovers, kills penalties and will go through a wall for any guy on his team.

There is another thing that i do not see mentioned on these boards when discussing Wilson, any of you guys really pay attention to him when he is along the boards battling for puck? Whether its in offensive zone or killing penalties the guy is an absolute beast when he is battling for the puck. He looks like he has Mcdavids speed out there when he is rushing from one player to another trying to take the puck away. He is in one place and then in a second he is in another pushing guy into the boards trying to get the puck. It seems like he is the fastest player in the world in those situations and adding his size to the mix i think he is one the best int his league at taking the puck away along the boards.

Yeah, the guy is a beast on the boards, the anti-Bura. He's so solid on the forecheck taking the puck away from defenders, but also cycling when we have possession. Anyone who has ever played ice hockey knows that cycling along the boards, grinding, is the hardest thing to do, endurance wise... it burns your legs so quickly to jump back and forth with a guy draped on you. TW's board work is a huge part of his game, why he fits so well with 8-92. He digs those pucks out and get them to the 8-92 for them to do their open ice magic.

And yes, anyone who doesn't recognize all the things TW brings to the game, simply isn't watching him, they're only seeing hit penalty hits on the main board gifs.

Jun 15, 2007
have you only been wrong about Wilson about his contract?

He's played 4 games of his new contract. It's not exactly a settled issue yet. I only said he's proving me wrong so far.

And what do you mean? I've never been a Wilson hater.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He's played 4 games of his new contract. It's not exactly a settled issue yet. I only said he's proving me wrong so far.

And what do you mean? I've never been a Wilson hater.

Asking a simple question. He said you have been wrong for a year. You said he just signed the contract. So I asked if the contract was the only thing about Wilson you could have been wrong about?

That said, Wilson earned his money last season. He was a primary force in them winning the cup and his play has improved every season. His contract value to this team seems pretty clear. Last season he was 5th in Evg within 2 of 3rd. This is with a significant portion of the season on the 4th line. He was 5th in evg in the playoffs. He was 3rd in playoff evp. Just 1 behind Ov for 2nd. He was 5th in evp in the regular season. He was 5th in average toi among forwards in the both RS and Playoffs.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I think Wilson recieved a clear order from coaching stuff to not hit predatory. Idk if it's a good thing yet, but it makes Caps win games for now. I think when talent is on our side, you don't need to scare off opponents.

Jun 15, 2007
Asking a simple question. He said you have been wrong for a year. You said he just signed the contract. So I asked if the contract was the only thing about Wilson you could have been wrong about?

That said, Wilson earned his money last season. He was a primary force in them winning the cup and his play has improved every season. His contract value to this team seems pretty clear. Last season he was 5th in Evg within 2 of 3rd. This is with a significant portion of the season on the 4th line. He was 5th in evg in the playoffs. He was 3rd in playoff evp. Just 1 behind Ov for 2nd. He was 5th in evp in the regular season. He was 5th in average toi among forwards in the both RS and Playoffs.

I've never said he was a talentless goon. My only objection to Wilson was how much money he makes and that only happened a few months ago.

This stuff about how about how Wilson was worth this contract last year already is revisionist history.

If you look back at all the contract predictions before he signed, from fans and writers alike, the final contract was much higher.

Everyone was guessing 3.5-4.5

Reactions: artilector

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If you look back at all the contract predictions before he signed, from fans and writers alike, the final contract was much higher.

Everyone was guessing 3.5-4.5

3.5-4.5 for a 2-4 year deal that makes him a UFA in his prime. His 6M deal locks him up long term, but TW had stated publicly he didn't want to do a long term deal. We all knew that would have a higher price tag. GMBM plainly stated as much - he wanted TW long term and that meant buying UFA years at a higher price tag.

Of course it was something of a gamble, but TW seems to be showing us all he's going to be worth it. Its not like what he's doing is some unsustainable 45% shooting like Chaisson is. He's just doing all the TW things he does minus the bone crushing hits.

His pass through traffic to Ovi for his tap in 1st goal last night, Backie or Kuzy couldn't have done it better, that was highly skilled and perfect, easy alley oop for Ovi. Watch it again.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yeah, the guy is a beast on the boards, the anti-Bura. He's so solid on the forecheck taking the puck away from defenders, but also cycling when we have possession. Anyone who has ever played ice hockey knows that cycling along the boards, grinding, is the hardest thing to do, endurance wise... it burns your legs so quickly to jump back and forth with a guy draped on you. TW's board work is a huge part of his game, why he fits so well with 8-92. He digs those pucks out and get them to the 8-92 for them to do their open ice magic.

And yes, anyone who doesn't recognize all the things TW brings to the game, simply isn't watching him, they're only seeing hit penalty hits on the main board gifs.
Ya cycling is very hard work. It take a lot of energy. And Wilson is very good at it. Wilson us good at a lot if things. He has become a better player than most thought he would. Work ethic has never been a problem and neither has his defensive responsibility. He has really improved his skating and skill. I think the thing that surprises me the most is his passing. I had no clue he was that good of a play maker. He made a couple pretty slick passes last game. I like everything about his game except the bad hits. I still think he needs to be a physical presence but he has to pick his spots. He is no good to us in the penalty box.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Its refreshing to see Willy getting PP time over Conno. I guess we just wanted to get his contract ironed out so as not have to pad his stats and over inflate his contract.

Getting paid largely for PP points is a big mistake IMO. #Brooksied

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Anyone care to bring PK stats with Wilson added to roster?

The stats were just posted but this seems more relevant:

wilsoto94

Good to see black-holes of offense in front of Holtby's net on the PK and ES when Wilson is on the ice.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Its refreshing to see Willy getting PP time over Conno. I guess we just wanted to get his contract ironed out so as not have to pad his stats and over inflate his contract.

It is good to see, but I'm also rooting for Connolly to get that big payday, not from us but from some team.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

I think the Wilson over Connolly on PP1 may have, in part, been about trying to keep as much of PP2 intact as possible. Similar to Eller leapfrogging over Backstrom for the 1C spot with Kuznetsov out.

That being said, they never use PP2 so who would know anyway.

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the Wilson over Connolly on PP1 may have, in part, been about trying to keep as much of PP2 intact as possible. Similar to Eller leapfrogging over Backstrom for the 1C spot with Kuznetsov out.

That being said, they never use PP2 so who would know anyway.

leapfrogged over Backstrom??? Backstrom runs that pp. Always has

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm referring to ES lines. Backstrom stayed on 2, while Eller moved up to center Ovechkin

My recollection is that Backstrom centered Ov when Kuzy went out. I think its pretty clear that Backstrom on the 1st line is going all your eggs in one basket. What kind of 2nd line do they have if 19 is with 8 and 43?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->