Proposal: So, Lias Andersson for Jesse Puljujarvi?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lias is a massive plus-minus sinkhole in the AHL and NHL. How is he good defensively? His AHL numbers are awful too. He’s 20 year old AHL season should have been much higher. He’s going to play in Europe soon and probably not even score there either.
+/- is a really bad gauge for interpreting individual contributions.

I look at Andersson as an opportunity for the Oilers to add a high pedigree player in a position they don't have a ton of depth at.

He may have the lower upside, but the Oilers have the ability to sit on Andersson as a prospect until 21/22. Work on offense, work on face-offs, work with the skills coach and assume this is a player who fills the 3C role moving forward one or two years from now.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
+/- is a really bad gauge for interpreting individual contributions.

I look at Andersson as an opportunity for the Oilers to add a high pedigree player in a position they don't have a ton of depth at.

He may have the lower upside, but the Oilers have the ability to sit on Andersson as a prospect until 21/22. Work on offense, work on face-offs, work with the skills coach and assume this is a player who fills the 3C role moving forward one or two years from now.

He’s been team worst in the plus minus or close to it. No idea what you see in this player. 3C role could be filled by Ryan McLeod who is an excellent skater and tenacious too. The obsession with pedigree on this site is insane. Nobody cares where Lias or JP is drafted once they hit early 20s and aren’t producing.

Reactions: majormajor

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
If I'm Rangers, I'd do this trade in a heartbeat. There are 31 teams in the NHL. Taking risks and getting potential (no matter how unlikely) future superstars for players with lower sealing is worth it. If Jesse trade works out, Rangers can be contenders in the near future.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I have no strong feelings one way or another. Not going to try and convince Edmonton fans that Lias is good. Not really dying to get JP. They are both trending towards bust status. Maybe JP has a higher ceiling but i'm not confident he comes anywhere near it. I can still see Lias carving out a bottom 6 career but that doesn't hold a ton of value. Lets see how he does in Hartford. Could be his last chance.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I bet you cant back that up :laugh:

Theres been two conflicting reports

"Puljujarvi and his agent, Marko Lehto, have made it clear the winger wants to move on from Edmonton. If a trade isn’t ironed out this month, the Oilers will likely revisit trade talks in the off-season, though his rights could still be moved this season." Nov. 11
Puljujarvi set on staying in Finland? — The Fourth Period

Puljujarvi confirmed he won't return to the NHL this season even if the Oilers trade his rights, Jason Gregor of OilersNation.com reports.

That’s from CBS sports, there’s multiple tweets and other outlets claiming it from a Finnish article, I’m not spending my day digging it up for you

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Well Derek Stepan had 4 points in 12 games in Liiga during the lockout, so either he’s a fourth liner (and was back then) and not worth much or your way of looking at Liiga is completely wrong.

no one is saying jesse would come over to NA and be a PPG player, he just is heads above lias
I don’t understand what you are disagreeing with me on. Explain.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He’s been team worst in the plus minus or close to it. No idea what you see in this player. 3C role could be filled by Ryan McLeod who is an excellent skater and tenacious too. The obsession with pedigree on this site is insane. Nobody cares where Lias or JP is drafted once they hit early 20s and aren’t producing.
Ryan McLeod--the guy with one whole goal in his first 15 professional games following a less than amazing final junior campaign?

You do realize these guys are less than a year apart, right?

The likelihood of developing prospects is much worse when you don't have the organizational depth available. And the fact is that Ryan McLeod, Kailer Yamamoto, Raphael Lavoie and Tyler Benson are the only forwards in our system with decent potential of breaking in at the NHL level. Only one of those guys plays center.

These players get drafted where they're drafted because there's obvious skill there. Perhaps rushing them into the NHL isn't the best course to unlock that potential.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

the worry for me is even playing on the fourth line, presumably against other fourth lines and third pairings, he’s getting absolutely executed in the fancies. “Blown off the ice through the zamboni doors” level of bad.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
You know that one skates into his own players and the other doesn't, right?

All kidding aside, Lias was never given a real shot in the line-up and should have stayed in the AHL, but he had a good pre-season...

Theres this narrative pushed by some Ranger posters that he was lights out in the preseason.

1. NHL preseason is equivalent to AHL competition
2. He wasn't lights out - he had 3 points in 4 games. Howden had 2 points in 3 games. But somehow Andersson was miles better then Howden?
3. His defensive play is overrated. He can kill penalties, but he gets bullied along the walls, doesn't have the foot speed to evade anything with the puck on his stick, and when the puck is on his stick its a ticking time bomb

I watch McKegg and I think how does anybody think Lias will be any better than him? They offer the same exact thing, exact McKegg is faster.

bUt HiS hOcKeY iQ iS tHrOuGh ThE rOoOf

Gtfo. Ill do Lias and a 3rd for Pulju in a heartbeat

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Lias is not the sort of player Edmonton needs. They need guys who can score 30 pts from the 3rd line, and he can't do that.

Move Puljujarvi+ for Pageau.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Lias is not the sort of player Edmonton needs. They need guys who can score 30 pts from the 3rd line, and he can't do that.

Move Puljujarvi+ for Pageau.

If they need a guy who can score 30 points why trade an arm and a leg for someone on pace for 60 on an expiring deal?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Isn’t this the kid that tossed his medal into the crowd?

No thanks.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I definitely don’t expect anything too valuable for Puljujarvi.

I’d consider Lias. Many wouldn’t but I’d offer him and a pick for Kreider if we are in a good position at the deadline.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yes. Why would anyone want a player who hates to lose?

I like players that don’t throw medals into the crowd during an international competition, players that don’t spit in other players face, etc.

Guess I’m a traditionalist to an extent?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I like players that don’t throw medals into the crowd during an international competition, players that don’t spit in other players face, etc.

Guess I’m a traditionalist to an extent?
Throwing a medal is not remotely close to spitting on someone.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
the worry for me is even playing on the fourth line, presumably against other fourth lines and third pairings, he’s getting absolutely executed in the fancies. “Blown off the ice through the zamboni doors” level of bad.

not defending Lias but the Rangers as a team are putting up generationally horrific fancy stats this season. Lets see how he does in Hartford, away from Quinn, Ruff and co. If he's still trash chalk him up as a bust and move on.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
not defending Lias but the Rangers as a team are putting up generationally horrific fancy stats this season. Lets see how he does in Hartford, away from Quinn, Ruff and co. If he's still trash chalk him up as a bust and move on.

while that’s true, he has the worst numbers on the team. A lot of the blame is placed on guys like Haley, but from a relative standpoint it’s Andersson dragging Haley down, not the other way around.

anyway. Andersson to the AHL, which is where he needs to be right now. Edmonton wants to help their current roster, Andersson won’t do that and might never do that. Maybe there’s a fit closer to the deadline.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Both team’s fan bases will hate this but value wise it’s probably about right. I don’t think either side should need to add though. It’s a change of scenery deal.

Reactions: Shootertooter

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Imagine two neighbors, each with a dog that has taken a dump in its own yard. Each neighbor grabs a plastic bag and a shovel and scoops up the mess in his yard. They then walk to where their properties adjoin, silently exchange bags, and walk back into their respective houses.

That is this trade in a nutshell.

Those must be some biiiiiiiig doggies.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
if he was good and hated to lose that’s one thing.
I mean, he was good in that tournament though. So being good and hating to lose does apply to when he tossed the medal. It's not like he tossed it now.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Andersson is going to be a better player. better hockey sense and better leadership qualities and doesn't have bad injury history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->