So is this thing over or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
My guess is the union, nhl are meeting with their constituents over the weekend. I didnt expect anything to happen over the weekend because the business week has ended. They should be back in meetings when the week starts again, or at the least some noise should be made.

The rumor mill should pick up monday as usual.

habitue*

I do hope that this season is OVER ! They should take the next few months to FIX the NHL totally - business wise and hockey wise. The harm has been done already in the USA.

I guess most of the players will want to come back next September even with a rigid salary cap.

For me, a 28 game season doen't make sense at all. Are they gonna give trophies ? I cannot imagine handing the Stanley Cup after such a ****** year...

skellart

Jan 24, 2005
Chattown
habitué said:
I do hope that this season is OVER ! They should take the next few months to FIX the NHL totally - business wise and hockey wise. The harm has been done already in the USA.

I guess most of the players will want to come back next September even with a rigid salary cap.

For me, a 28 game season doen't make sense at all. Are they gonna give trophies ? I cannot imagine handing the Stanley Cup after such a ****** year...

But you'de watch it, wouldn't you?

Crows*

I find it hard to beleive that the NHL and NHLPA are not having meetings over the weekend or at least conference calls. They would be insane not to.

I'm glad this weekend is quiet. For once it's nice to not hear those idiots blabber on over the week. But itl start up again tommorow.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
habitué said:

If you are a true fan how could you actually hope that the season would be cancelled? I understand your points about trophies and the stanley cup but not watching/attending NHL hockey is killing me. Yes a 28 game season is short but just imagine how much more emphasis would be put on each game. Every game would be HUGE. And if they dont get this done now, they will never get it done in time to start next year... at least that has been the speculation. These deals are always hammered out at the last possible second which means if this season is cancelled you can bet there wont be any meetings until at least next september. Even then, the drop dead date wouldnt be until january 06. We need this deal ASAP

jacketracket*

habitué said:

Areed. But I would watch an abbreviated season ...

I just don't want to see the two sides end up cobbling something temporary together, in an effort just to save this season. IMO, much worse damage would be done if they pieced something together short-term, only to be back in this situation next year.

Crows*

An abbreviated season with a fixed NHL is better than the uncertanty of possible destruction of the league.

lazaer

Jan 29, 2005
e-town
i'd watch a 28 game season, and i think we will be watching a season about that long. i think both sides know how much they have to lose by not playing at all. lord knows that they have both been dragging their feet through this but being stubborn doesn't mean being stupid. Being a fan of a "small market team" all i want out of this new CBA is the ability to field a competitive team, and so, i feel that a hard cap would do this best but if the NHLPA can come up with something better then i'm all for it. However if they come back with a model that will lead to something like MLB then i don't think i could support the NHL anymore..... would anyone pay to go watch a K.C. royals vs T.B. Devilrays game.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
In the age of video conferencing, internet email and chat, text messaging, and cellphones...I can't believe that there wouldn't be nearly around the clock group discussions, one on one discussions, back channel discussions, either between the players and league or within the different camps of each. The fact that they may not have announced that they are in face to face meetings doesn't mean anything to me. I would also venture to say, that most of the movement, if there is any, occurs outside of these announced face to face meetings.

Unfortunately, most of our emotions, ebb and flow, with these press releases. A good many of them are most likely strategic instead of truly informative, IMO.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Twine Seeking Missle said:
If you are a true fan how could you actually hope that the season would be cancelled?

For the exact same reason I don't want a shootout, etc. It makes a joke out of the sport I love.

As the current joke goes: "Player of the Week, and the Norris trophy winner..."

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
For the exact same reason I don't want a shootout, etc. It makes a joke out of the sport I love.

As the current joke goes: "Player of the Week, and the Norris trophy winner..."

i see your point, however, wouldn't cancelling an entire season make a bit of a mockery of our game as well?

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
handtrick said:
In the age of video conferencing, internet email and chat, text messaging, and cellphones...I can't believe that there wouldn't be nearly around the clock group discussions, one on one discussions, back channel discussions, either between the players and league or within the different camps of each. The fact that they may not have announced that they are in face to face meetings doesn't mean anything to me. I would also venture to say, that most of the movement, if there is any, occurs outside of these announced face to face meetings.

Unfortunately, most of our emotions, ebb and flow, with these press releases. A good many of them are most likely strategic instead of truly informative, IMO.
LOL. Picture Gary Bettman at a briefing with the owners and Daly while they discuss things and Gary with his cell phone under the table text messaging Goodenow.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
all hope for a settlement and some sort of a season is now officially gone--even ekland himself has pretty much thrown in the towell according to his latest blog---woe is us and the nhl and those starving pukes of the nhlpa--HAIL TO THE LOCKOUT AND LONG LIVE THE LOCKOUT-i just entered the i don't give a damn anymore club :banghead:

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Yes a 28 game season is short but just imagine how much more emphasis would be put on each game. Every game would be HUGE. And if they dont get this done now, they will never get it done in time to start next year... at least that has been the speculation.

I was thinking the same thing. Pretty intense hockey would be played for sure. These guys have been sitting home for months (well, some of them), just waiting to break lose. All injuries are long healed from last season, talk about a passionate, yet short season.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I won't consider the season officialy cancelled until about a week after Bettman anounces the cancelation of the season (as cancelling the season is another move available to the league during this dispute, and doesn't necessarily mean that they are cancelling the season).

SENSible1*

At this point I want the season to be cancelled.

Even if the PA was to agree to a cap the process will be long and painstaking. So the only reasonable scenario where we have hockey this year is if the owners capitulate. Hence, I want the season to be cancelled.

Getting the right system is far more important than this or next season.

Starve them out until they lose their "principles."

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
If you are a true fan how could you actually hope that the season would be cancelled? I understand your points about trophies and the stanley cup but not watching/attending NHL hockey is killing me. Yes a 28 game season is short but just imagine how much more emphasis would be put on each game. Every game would be HUGE. And if they dont get this done now, they will never get it done in time to start next year... at least that has been the speculation. These deals are always hammered out at the last possible second which means if this season is cancelled you can bet there wont be any meetings until at least next september. Even then, the drop dead date wouldnt be until january 06. We need this deal ASAP

I am a fan as well as a season ticket holder and I hope they cancel the season. Its just too late for it. Teams will never be able to get players signed, into training camp and any semblance of a season. Chicago has 5 players signed, Boston has 11. How do they sign over half their team in 2 or 3 days.

Despite the fact that players have been playing, lets face it, most of them are out of shape and in no shape to start a season without at least a 7-10 training camp.

The cup? well it will always have that " * " next to it. No matter who wins it will ever view them as true Stanley Cup champions.

So I say forget the season, get a deal done and concentrate on relaunching the NHL for the fall.

There was actually something written about this today

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/hockey/10772991.htm

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
Egil said:
I won't consider the season officialy cancelled until about a week after Bettman anounces the cancelation of the season (as cancelling the season is another move available to the league during this dispute, and doesn't necessarily mean that they are cancelling the season).

I hear ya, but my first thought was "great, MORE headgames."

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
handtrick said:

ummm, to say what exactly? Absent a change of position by either side:

Bettman: You gonna accept that cap yet Goodenow?
Goodenow: Naaaah.
Bettman: k, just checking, call you back in five minutes to check again.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
habitué said:

The playoffs would most likely be a better product because there are quite a few players who did not go through the wear and tear of an NHL season. You would still have to win 4 playoff rounds of intense hockey and to me, that substantiates a legit playoff season.

Now the regular season, I think would be a joke if its any less than 36 games. I beleive a 36-42 game season is very possible.

Leaf fans should be praying day and night because this is their best chance to win the Cup as they will ever have.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Icey said:
I am a fan as well as a season ticket holder and I hope they cancel the season. Its just too late for it. Teams will never be able to get players signed, into training camp and any semblance of a season. Chicago has 5 players signed, Boston has 11. How do they sign over half their team in 2 or 3 days.

Despite the fact that players have been playing, lets face it, most of them are out of shape and in no shape to start a season without at least a 7-10 training camp.

The cup? well it will always have that " * " next to it. No matter who wins it will ever view them as true Stanley Cup champions.

So I say forget the season, get a deal done and concentrate on relaunching the NHL for the fall.

There was actually something written about this today

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/hockey/10772991.htm

It's their own fault for letting this go on so long.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
go kim johnsson said:
Leaf fans should be praying day and night because this is their best chance to win the Cup as they will ever have.

Leaf fans?

What about Flyer fans?

skellart

Jan 24, 2005
Chattown
if they do solve it and run a short season, I see alot of crap being thrown on the ice. I say, and this kills me, get a deal done and let the fans chill for the rest of this season. Start fresh next season when we've all had a chance to calm a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad