So is the Crosby/Ovechkin rivalry dead?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think it's the lack of a series between the two since 2009. Before that, it was the anticipation of a playoff matchup. Since then, as the years have come and gone, the Caps aren't what they used to be, and the Penguins have had their ups and downs in the playoffs, and it's almost more of a what could've been type situation.

If they did get together in the playoffs again, I'm sure nobody would hear the end of it.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Depends on what aspect of the rivalry you are referring to.

1. Players feeling about each-other/each-other's teams. Both players like to play the other. This hasn't changed even if they have matured, and they aren't as outward with it. The Caps probably most hated rival is the Pens. While the Pens surely hate their cross-state rival more, the Pens players have a general distaste for the Caps as well. Ovechkin came out flying, and Crosby was rattled after his stick blew up on that one-timer.

2. Fan/media created rivalry. Unfortunately this is a what have you done for me lately situation. Neither team has really been the favorite to win for a few years, the Caps being much worse than they were. Neither player is young and full of possibilities. We pretty much know what we are going to get from these guys. They haven't played in the playoffs. The Caps have played the Rangers much more frequently, and the Pens have played a spattering of people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad