So is the Crosby/Ovechkin rivalry dead?

Hazu*

Sep 25, 2011
After watching tonight's game, I feel like both players don't even care anymore (even the medias didn't hype the game at all).

What the hell happened? A couple years ago, this was by far the best rivalry in the last decade. Both players (and Malkin too) used to play such great hockey when they faced each other.

Are there even any good players rivalries anymore in the NHL? :(

(I know I'm late but Merry Christmas my friends!)

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
After watching tonight's game, I feel like both players don't even care anymore (even the medias didn't hype the game at all).

What the hell happened? A couple years ago, this was by far the best rivalry in the last decade. Both players (and Malkin too) used to play such great hockey when they faced each other.

Ovi started regressing, hes still good, just not great anymore.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It was a made-up rivalry to begin with. Ovechkin & Malkin had an actual player rivalry going for a while, but they've made nice since then.

The Pens & Caps are rivals because they met each other in the playoffs every damn year of the 90s, not because editors wanted to drive a narrative that wasn't there.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ov didn't care? Did you watch the game? hitting. shooting. blocking shots. I saw the Crosby fly by on the Johansson goal. I didn't see Ovechkin showing any lack of desire. I think the ran Malkin into the ditch twice. Ran over Letang. Got 87 too. He didn't score a goal. Big deal.

Hazu*

Sep 25, 2011
probably because the Caps haven't been a real hockey team in about 3 years...

Maybe but I still miss that time when Crosby and Ovechkin both wanted to prove the world that they were the best players in the world.

Now it's all over. :'(

It's gone...

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
It only existed in the short time frame when both were the 2 best players in the league and also arguably the 2 best teams in the east. Even then I don't think they hated eachother. It was just two players going head to head. Only makes sense things would die down if those two prerequisites aren't as prominent.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
I mean hell...they only played each other in the postseason once.

Need a few more to be a rivalry.

They were two young studs and the media wanted it to be a big deal.

Hazu*

Sep 25, 2011
There was no rivalry to begin with

Lol, that's not true at all. Crosby/Ovechkin will never say it out loud but I'm pretty sure both players used to be really excited to play each other, more than any other players.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
Maybe but I still miss that time when Crosby and Ovechkin both wanted to prove the world that they were the best players in the world.

Now it's all over. :'(

It's gone...

Sports cliches are all the rage nowadays lol.

How do you know that they no longer want to prove that?

Teams have taken different trajectories. Crosby had a serious injury. Ovechkin has a new coach every other year.

Things happen.

Tonight was a great physical game. Hopefully things get ignited again

Islands

Aug 19, 2014

I don't think you watched the game. Ovi was hitting pens players and had like 10 shots on net.

illpucks

May 26, 2011

I don't think you really watched the game. Ovechkin was a beast tonight and was the best player on both teams. Finished checks, elusive and 10 shots. If you just looked at the stat line and saw 0 points only then could you make the assumption that he "didn't care".

HOLDITHERE*

Saying there's no rivalry, and that the media created it out of thin air is total ********. Not only have both players clearly said it was, but it shows every single time they play each other. They both try harder, and as seen tonight, get more frustrated when things don't go their way.

Two, did you watch the game tonight? Any of it? Before the game, NBC had a video package chronicling the rivalry, and compared stats numerous times throughout the match. On top of that, Ovechkin was a raging bull tonight. He went after Malkin like 17 seconds in, and barely spent any time on the ice with Crosby, or I'm sure he would've gone after him too.

I think it's more or less a team rivalry at this point. But saying the two greatest players of their generation (inarguable) don't compete harder against each other is simply, stupid.

*cue Pens fans saying it's not a rivalry, then wishing injury upon Caps players.*

andrewkent14

Dec 7, 2014
Toronto
crosby is still top player in the league, ovi has dropped back id say its more of a crosby/stamkos rivalry for best in the league

HOLDITHERE*

Stamkos? I'd say if anyone is close right now it's Malkin with Seguin getting close.

Basing that off of one season? If we're using such a small sample size, Crosby wouldn't be ANYWHERE near this conversation. If we're using careers, then Seguin wouldn't be named anywhere. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Basing that off of one season? If we're using such a small sample size, Crosby wouldn't be ANYWHERE near this conversation. If we're using careers, then Seguin wouldn't be named anywhere. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Stamkos is nowhere near Crosby. He's the 3rd best player in the world at most.

For the Crosby/Ovi rivalry, I think it died down because both players matured. They were kids, now they are men.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
There was never a Crosby-Ovechkin rivalry. It seemed more like Ovechkin and Malkin had one

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The only Crosby/Ovie 'rivalry' was the one between the fans of each that would argue over who's stats were better ad nauseam.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Everyone already knows Crosby is better that's why the rivalry is dead.

If Ovi can actually get his team out of the first round of the playoffs then maybe the rivalry will come back.

StrongIslandGR8

Sep 3, 2014
The rivalry died down because the pens stayed afloat while the caps sunk down as far as im concerned the 3 best players in the league are on the pens and caps so I still get excited to see them play each other

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad