So I noticed some minor damage on my car...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Right on the bumper, looks like someone hit my car when it was parked or something...the damage isn't that bad, mainly looks like some paint (no dents or anything but enough where a sponge didn't do the trick :laugh:). I'm thinking of just trying to buff it out myself...would this do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000077CPT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do I need to know anything else or purchase anything else to hopefully buff it out?

edit - picture of damage:

2fea914844.jpg

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Don't use any solvent based mixtures is my advice. I know they work the best but they also potentially damage the paint.

I don't have any brands to recommend but what I've found as one of the best ways to get rid of sticky marks is to buy a sponge that has netting over it. It's used as an insect removal but it works for anything. Start off by not using any soap. Just a bucket of cold water and the sponge. Wet the sponge well in the cold water and just start rubbing the mark. From a small patch at first. You can reinforce the effect by pressing your finger through the sponge towards the car paint surface. You should feel the netting and the dirty spot in your finger as you rotate the sponge back and forth.

If it doesn't work, you could try the soap metal workers use for their hands. It's this kind of grainy soap. I don't know where you can get it in USA but in Finland it's a regular item in hardware stores. They come in about 2-3 liter canisters and it's like soft butter with small grains of sand in it. Rubbing that on the sponge and then trying again might do the trick.

If neither works, I'm all out of tricks.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
The random orbital polisher you linked to is a great tool...if you know what you're doing. It's mostly the product you use on it, but also the technique you apply to it. Can't count how many times I've (properly) detailed a car and people thought it had been repainted :laugh: OTOH, someone can use one of these w/the wrong pad, wrong technique, etc. and look like they did nothing.

But anyway...

It's tough to tell without seeing it in person or a much better picture. If it's not damaged through the clearcoat, a polishing compound like Meguiars Ultimate Polish or 3M stage 2 or 3 ought to do the trick. Fixing that by hand (meaning not using a machine) looks quite unlikely, and if the clearcoat is damaged you're not going to have much luck at all.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Don't use any solvent based mixtures is my advice. I know they work the best but they also potentially damage the paint.

I don't have any brands to recommend but what I've found as one of the best ways to get rid of sticky marks is to buy a sponge that has netting over it. It's used as an insect removal but it works for anything. Start off by not using any soap. Just a bucket of cold water and the sponge. Wet the sponge well in the cold water and just start rubbing the mark. From a small patch at first. You can reinforce the effect by pressing your finger through the sponge towards the car paint surface. You should feel the netting and the dirty spot in your finger as you rotate the sponge back and forth.

If it doesn't work, you could try the soap metal workers use for their hands. It's this kind of grainy soap. I don't know where you can get it in USA but in Finland it's a regular item in hardware stores. They come in about 2-3 liter canisters and it's like soft butter with small grains of sand in it. Rubbing that on the sponge and then trying again might do the trick.

If neither works, I'm all out of tricks.

The random orbital polisher you linked to is a great tool...if you know what you're doing. It's mostly the product you use on it, but also the technique you apply to it. Can't count how many times I've (properly) detailed a car and people thought it had been repainted :laugh: OTOH, someone can use one of these w/the wrong pad, wrong technique, etc. and look like they did nothing.

But anyway...

It's tough to tell without seeing it in person or a much better picture. If it's not damaged through the clearcoat, a polishing compound like Meguiars Ultimate Polish or 3M stage 2 or 3 ought to do the trick. Fixing that by hand (meaning not using a machine) looks quite unlikely, and if the clearcoat is damaged you're not going to have much luck at all.

Thanks for the info guys...I have no idea what i'll be doing. I just ordered that Meguiars Ultimate Polish so i'll use that on the area with the machine and hope for the best lol. I'll look for those sponges too.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
If you've got some residual paint scuffs left from another car, you can go over it with paint thinner, keep the cloth wet, dont let it get sticky, your softening your factory clearcoat...thats no good. A factory baked on paint job will obviously be hardier than the paint scuff, so damaging the paint shouldnt be a concern unless you really go hard on it. If the scuffs are bad you risk burning your paint by not first removing as much of the scuff as possible. Think off it like, as your removing the scuff your also removing the clearcoat around the scuff, you may notice after the scuff is gone you'll still see a high spot where it was to begin with. Follow that up with some 1500 grit than 3000 sandpaper, I use 3m's rubbing compund to bring back the shine and finish it off with some of 3m's machine polish. Helps to have a polisher but you can do it by hand, it just requires some elbow grease.

3d3bd2f1-b9c0-470c-8925-7096138c8edd_9227c_p_1500px.png

3m-perfect-it-rubbing-compound-06085.jpg]

TLDR
Step 1 Thinner
Step 2 wet sand
Step 3 polish

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad