So how beneficial will this be for Kaapo Kakko?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
“Yeah, we’ve thought about that quite a bit,” Rangers president John Davidson said Thursday. “We’ve had internal discussions. I know that he’s skating and working out like a madman to get back. I’m sure he’s going to want to play. But at the same time … it’s important for everybody to be taken care of regarding their health. It doesn’t matter if you’re a 19-year-old young player or an older executive. Everything has to be done in the right fashion.

“Now, hypothetically, if he can’t play, he can’t play. We’re going to take care of him. He’s a big part of us. If he can play, he can play, and I’m sure he’s going to want to play. But we listen to the science. We listen to the medical people. They’re going to tell us what to do.”

'Busy from top to bottom': How the Rangers are preparing for...

Reactions: eco's bones

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The way this season has gone has been the worst case scenario for Kakko, he needed a proper offseason with professionals to train with to take a step forward, he won't get that and will roll into next season much the same as this.

Reactions: CasusBelli

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think we truly need to hear from a top endocrinologist whether or not someone with type 1 diabetes who keeps their blood sugars in proper range and have no comorbidity if they are truly more in danger to this or any other virus.
If so will that mean Kakko can’t play until a vaccine hits the market?
I’ve always understood the danger in diabetes comes from the lack of blood sugar control which sets off a host of inflammatory responses in the body which is particularly bad with covid. Not to mention unfortunately many diabetics have other comorbidities

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Not to play the “classic Rangers” card, but it’s so typical that diabetes isn’t a big deal for NHL athletes until we acquire a young savior of the franchise that has it. Perfect time for an unprecedented global pandemic.

I really hope he can play.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Maybe it is best if he does not play, I think Quinn will ruin his confidence even more by barely giving him any icetime.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He's not reliable defensively yet, so in a playoff game, with a tight lead, he's going to get benched, and sheltered offensive looks. The Rangers need to add depth, but missing a playoff game at this stage in his career isn't something I would think is detrimental given what he's shown to date so far.

Reactions: eco's bones

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I am a little concerned about these things too, but in relation to someone like Kakko, I just think that you can assume that you never even remotely get to the point he has so early as he have done it -- if he isn't an absolute galley slave to the working out...
Anyone remember the ping pong game that Kakko and Chytil played? if anybody took notice........like I did, their thighs were huge they looked like tree trunks! to be young and to have those kind of thighs is amazing. so I'm pretty sure he's working out pretty hard trying to be even stronger, hopefully his upper body. Lower body doesn't seem to need it.

Reactions: Ola

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
“Yeah, we’ve thought about that quite a bit,” Rangers president John Davidson said Thursday. “We’ve had internal discussions. I know that he’s skating and working out like a madman to get back. I’m sure he’s going to want to play. But at the same time … it’s important for everybody to be taken care of regarding their health. It doesn’t matter if you’re a 19-year-old young player or an older executive. Everything has to be done in the right fashion.

“Now, hypothetically, if he can’t play, he can’t play. We’re going to take care of him. He’s a big part of us. If he can play, he can play, and I’m sure he’s going to want to play. But we listen to the science. We listen to the medical people. They’re going to tell us what to do.”

'Busy from top to bottom': How the Rangers are preparing for...

That's a very good answer from Davidson. I'm not among the crowd that think the virus isn't something serious even now. You need the medical advice and you need to be ready to hear something that doesn't make you happy. All that said I think he will play but I also think the Rangers need to be very careful with him....and if players in the tournament start getting the virus I would pull him out immediately. No reason to take unnecessary chances. He's at the beginning of his career and a huge part of our future.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Anyone remember the ping pong game that Kakko and Chytil played? if anybody took notice........like I did, their thighs were huge they looked like tree trunks! to be young and to have those kind of thighs is amazing. so I'm pretty sure he's working out pretty hard trying to be even stronger, hopefully his upper body. Lower body doesn't seem to need it.

Yeah, more than ever before they guys are built like a pyramid. Its just remarkable how big difference it is today compared to 3-4 years ago. So many guys have really changed their diet, don't know what that is about exactly, but they are very careful.

And it of course makes a lot of sense. Weights help you when you throw your body around, in all other apsects, 99% of the time you are on the ice, weight is of little use and always makes you move slower.

This guy won't pwn many gyms he steps into... ;)

upload_2020-6-2_16-18-8.png

Like he shoots really hard, but so much of the shot is just grip and wrist power with today's sticks. Low center of gravity and more important than anything, trying to hit him, push him, whatever, is like trying to wrestle with 2 m3 slime... ;)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I saw Ryan Lindgren in some video from the locker-room or maybe it was somewhere at Instagram. He got a bit of muscle of course, but he was so slim that he almost looked a bit sick.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The most famous hockey diabetic was Bobby Clarke who had it as a youth and played a long long time in the NHL and is in the Hall of Fame. Notwithstanding that Bobby Clarke was a major league asshole as a a player but also in real life IMO. So anyone insinuating that Kakko's career is over is full of b.s.

Regarding Kakko's game as is now--he certainly had issues in certain issues of the game this season. He's not great defensively at least yet and he got knocked around pretty good and sometimes his stamina seemed a little lacking. I would expect the Rangers will play him but I also suspect that his ice time will be somewhat limited. Your 3rd and 4th liners are going to be asked to grind and play responsible and physical hockey and in that respect guys like DiGiuseppe and McKegg and maybe even someone like a Nieves or a Fogarty might be in the forefront of that.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I expect Kakko to have a some very good shifts every game, and play a larger role if/as we advance. I think physical and mental youth is an asset coming off this 'pause'

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Just kind of makes all the sense in the world that a younger player will be chomping at the bit MUCH MORE than an aged Veteran.
Remember how you just couldn't wait for winter to end, and the ice melting away, just so you can shoot some hoops?
An aged Vet, just might have gotten "used to" that time off and will be more difficult to "re-start" that good OLD engine.
Bad comparison incoming. Be warned.
Marc Staal or Kaapo Kakko to pick up right where they left off? Again admittedly a bad comparison but you get the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad