Newsday: So far, Islander pickups have picked them up

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom...a=newsday_5min&feed:c=sports&feed:i=1.4515739

Updated: Jan 26, 2013 06:57 PM
By ARTHUR STAPLE

Full Article View
WINNIPEG -- Jack Capuano spent most of the lockout in the minors. He wasn't sent there by Garth Snow to keep his coaching skills fresh, even if Capuano did go behind the bench with Bridgeport a couple times to see the team's prospects up close.

The Islanders coach and assistant Brent Thompson became scouts of a sort, sizing up opposing AHL players for the possibility that some would shake free on waivers once the lockout ended and the sprint to assemble 23-man rosters for a 48-game season began.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I really Like what Im seeing from both Strait and Aucoin.....

Strait seems like a very solid defensman who makes few mistakes...

Aucoin has lots of skill and has been a beast on faceoffs....

Finley sucks...

I cant wait for Hickey to play, This kid can skate and play a very sound defensive game...

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I really Like what Im seeing from both Strait and Aucoin.....

Strait seems like a very solid defensman who makes few mistakes...

Aucoin has lots of skill and has been a beast on faceoffs....

Finley sucks...

I cant wait for Hickey to play, This kid can skate and play a very sound defensive game...

I kind of brushed aside all the waiver pickups as embarrassing dumpster diving, but I've been really happy with Aucoin and Strait.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I kind of brushed aside all the waiver pickups as embarrassing dumpster diving, but I've been really happy with Aucoin and Strait.

I actually did not have a problem with it. Miss Vis was and is not here and Hickey and Strait are not scrubs...

ironically the only one I didnt understand at the time was Aucoin...Im glad we got him though:D

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Right now Strait looks like a younger version of Andrew MacDonald. The Islanders have MacDonald at, what looks like, a bargain price right now. If Strait continues to play like he has been maybe they can lock him up at a bargain price too.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom...a=newsday_5min&feed:c=sports&feed:i=1.4515739

"All you can ask for is a chance to show what you can do," Aucoin said. "I've known Cappy and Brent for a long time. Maybe that helped."
:sarcasm:

If he had said, "And I am from Boston," I would have crapped my trousers.

Staple earlier lauds the Isles as having a plan that is working better than other big salary clubs. No Arthur, you don't get to call, "Not hiring good UFAs because they cost too much while praying someone else's throwaways are a mistake" having an actual "plan." If you can then I can't wait to hear your summary on how those old beach bums scouring the sand with metal detectors are simply executing a non-traditional financial strategy on par with investing in actual stocks and bonds.

Seriously, Snow got lucky with some of his waiver pickups, but there were failures there as well. His marriage to the trade piece known as Tambellini, Schremp, Pock, etc... It hasn't been anything worth noting with the exception of Grabs.

This isn't a plan. Hiring real help is a plan. This is "throw enough pig stuff at a wall and hope some of it sticks." That's called gambling.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
:sarcasm:
This isn't a plan. Hiring real help is a plan. This is "throw enough pig stuff at a wall and hope some of it sticks." That's called gambling.

It is a plan if Wang is telling him that he cannot go after good UFAs because they cost too much.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
It is a plan if Wang is telling him that he cannot go after good UFAs because they cost too much.

Or anybody that we trade for 1) won't report like Lubo 2) can't wait to get out like Ryan Smith and Zednick and 3) dogs it like Brian Rolston.

Throw in UFAs that we offer enough money to but won't sign like Paul Martin and I think Garth is actually taking the only route that he can right now. Maybe when we're in Brooklyn things will change, maybe not.

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
So when Vis arrives, the obvious move is to waive Finley and he'll most likely end up in Bridgeport, but what about Hickey/Carkner.

Do you think the Isles plan on rotating these 2 depending on their opponent or will Carkner be a mainstay based on his physical advantages?

Pnut

So when Vis arrives, the obvious move is to waive Finley and he'll most likely end up in Bridgeport, but what about Hickey/Carkner.

Do you think the Isles plan on rotating these 2 depending on their opponent or will Carkner be a mainstay based on his physical advantages?

If Hickey is as good as people want him to be (that still remains to be seen) then yes. Dress Carkner for the Pens, Leafs, Rags, and other physical teams with goons (that will go after our guys like JT, HamandEggs and MacDonald) and dress Hickey and Finley the other games. Mostly Hicks if Fins continues to be a traffic cone.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Trust me, as long as Carkner is healthy and playing reasonably well, he'll be in every game.

He's not sitting for anyone, least of all Hickey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad