So.. Edmonton has to be the favorites coming out of the west, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Maybe, but that says more about the West than it does Edmonton. I like Colorado and St. Louis more.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
you're really discrediting the contributions of RNH and Yamamoto as well as the goalie tandem and the PK...wow

not close to the favorites I agree, but the Pacific is wide open

better teams than the Oilers in the West:
Avs
Blues
Stars
Golden Knights

I think the Avs are really over rated and in the same boat as Edmonton. They have Mack and the rest of their roster has been either injured all year or disappointing. They are missing Kadri for the season and their star forwards haven't been themselves.

Defense has been widely over rated and they just have gotten some great goaltending. I take the Oilers over the Avs in a playoff series. Would put money on it.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I think the Avs are really over rated and in the same boat as Edmonton. They have Mack and the rest of their roster has been either injured all year or disappointing. They are missing Kadri for the season and their star forwards haven't been themselves.

Defense has been widely over rated and they just have gotten some great goaltending. I take the Oilers over the Avs in a playoff series. Would put money on it.
So Edmonton is overrated too? Wait, did you just slip up here and reveal what you're really trying to say?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I'd put St. Louis ahead of Vegas and Colorado
They are the defending champs, so people are going to overrate them a bit. Don’t get me wrong, they re a solid team but for the most part they need to grind out close games and hope they come out on top. With St Louis a few beaks could turn a series either way. Vegas is just a really good team that can control the game and not give you a chance. Colorado is more hit and miss but when they are on they can be unstoppable.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Do you really believe the nonsense that you spew or do you just say ridiculous things like this simply to rile people up?

Well, unless the objective of hockey is no longer to out-score the opposition, it's a fact that the Senators with Stone on the ice in his final 3 years with Ottawa are better than the Oilers with McDavid or Draisaitl over the past 3 seasons...

upload_2020-2-25_9-0-23.png

upload_2020-2-25_9-1-41.png

Why wouldn't I believe that Stone has been better? Do you think these numbers aren't fact?

Reactions: aufheben

President Skroob

Dec 21, 2019
They are the defending champs, so people are going to overrate them a bit. Don’t get me wrong, they re a solid team but for the most part they need to grind out close games and hope they come out on top. With St Louis a few beaks could turn a series either way. Vegas is just a really good team that can control the game and not give you a chance. Colorado is more hit and miss but when they are on they can be unstoppable.

St. Louis is better at this than Vegas.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So Edmonton is overrated too? Wait, did you just slip up here and reveal what you're really trying to say?

.. No? Jesus christ you guys are acting like you are detectives during the day.

I am saying everything people are saying are reasons as for why the Oilers wouldn't win, are also applicable to the Avs, and I take Oilers over the Avs.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The thing with St. Louis is that they’ve missed their one pure game breaking talent this year. When he comes back it will be much more significant than any TDL moves made yesterday.
That said, it’s extremely hard to repeat. They will need some breaks to come out of the West even but I still see them as the most well rounded team with good depth at every position. The playoffs are a grind and usually the more bubble teams like most of the Pacific tend to get exposed as the playoffs grind on and injuries mount.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
By every single category, I'm thinking you are talking about esoteric imaginary numbers stats and not straight points and wins, right?

I specified goals which determine who wins the games. Stone can't control what happens when he's on the bench, it's not his fault that the Oilers without McD/Drai have a team that is much better than Stone's Senators without him were.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Well, unless the objective of hockey is no longer to out-score the opposition, it's a fact that the Senators with Stone on the ice in his final 3 years with Ottawa are better than the Oilers with McDavid or Draisaitl over the past 3 seasons...

View attachment 326715

View attachment 326717

Why wouldn't I believe that Stone has been better? Do you think these numbers aren't fact?
Did you just double the totals by having two Mark Stones there. Explain why just Stone has more GF and GA

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

View attachment 326715

View attachment 326717

you realize there more to hockey than 5-on-5 play right?

Stone isn't even an elite PP point producer....how can he be a better player when he only excels in one area?

Drai and McDavid have more ESP and PPP than Stone but Stone is better cause he's better in 1 area? come on

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Some counter arguments to the OP:
- EDM is 5-4-1 in the last 10 games.
- Nearly the whole team is a "minus player". That is the opposite of dominating 5v5. In fact if there are few penalties, they will lose to even mediocre teams.
- Ranking 5th in the conference is not really that impressive.
- Starting goalie is Koskinen w 0.911 sv. Not thrash, but not Rask/Vasilievski either.
- Top D pair is Klefbom Nurse. They suck as a top pair in NHL. Also no 3rd pair depth.

2nd round exit?
So what your saying is you know nothing about the Oilers and you briefly looked at the +\~ on hockeydb
I don’t think they get further than first or second round but how you got yourself to that conclusion is all wrong
Nurse plays with Bear
Smith is probably the starter
Our biggest trade deadline acquisition is actually calling up Yamamoto and forming Nuge Drai yamo as the top line

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

View attachment 326715

View attachment 326717

Man. Give it a rest. You discovered analytics last year and your complete lack of understanding destroys every Oiler rleated thread

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
you realize there more to hockey than 5-on-5 play right?

Stone isn't even an elite PP point producer....how can he be a better player when he only excels in one area?

Drai and McDavid have more ESP and PPP than Stone but Stone is better cause he's better in 1 area? come on

I dont think he understands this

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Man. Give it a rest. You discovered analytics last year and your complete lack of understanding destroys every Oiler rleated thread

The one who should give it a rest is you, you literally misrepresent everything I say. I've been following analytics in hockey for about a half decade now since Corsi was the big thing.

I haven't even brought up any analytics in this thread besides the one that literally determines which team wins the game: goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->