So.. Edmonton has to be the favorites coming out of the west, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Some counter arguments to the OP:
- EDM is 5-4-1 in the last 10 games.
- Nearly the whole team is a "minus player". That is the opposite of dominating 5v5. In fact if there are few penalties, they will lose to even mediocre teams.
- Ranking 5th in the conference is not really that impressive.
- Starting goalie is Koskinen w 0.911 sv. Not thrash, but not Rask/Vasilievski either.
- Top D pair is Klefbom Nurse. They suck as a top pair in NHL. Also no 3rd pair depth.

2nd round exit?

If you cherry pick any 10 games you can make any narrative you want. Right now they are 1st in their division due to games in hand. A poor 10 games where McDavid was out means nothing.

It's not uncommon for teams to find another level in the playoffs. Not worried about "minus players".

Last two points I've already addressed. They just need hot goaltending at the right time, and their F can cover the rest.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
No.

No.

No.

Vegas, Blues, Colorado, and arguably Dallas are better teams than us. We have some weaknesses and our goaltending is shakey. Flames, Vancouver, and Preds are probably in the same tier as us. Arizona is there too once they get Keumper back.

Gotta make the playoffs first before we can make any noise. If we make it in anything can happen, but we're not favourites by any means.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
- Nearly the whole team is a "minus player". That is the opposite of dominating 5v5. In fact if there are few penalties, they will lose to even mediocre teams.
- Starting goalie is Koskinen w 0.911 sv. Not thrash, but not Rask/Vasilievski either.
- Top D pair is Klefbom Nurse. They suck as a top pair in NHL. Also no 3rd pair depth.

2nd round exit?

McDavid was out for 6 of those games (3-2-1), and since Yamamoto joined the team we are 13-5-3.

We have the #1 PP in the league and the #2 PK. Special teams win games.

Klefbom and Nurse have never ever and I mean EVER played together. Klefbom plays with Larsson, and Nurse plays with Bear.

Smith has one regulation loss since the new year (against Tampa) Koski isn't even starting right now.

Why do people comment on teams they never watch?
I don't think were the favorite by any stretch (St Louis imo), but if McD and Drai go supernova (easily possible) and our goaltending remains solid, we could do some damage. No expectations, but I think we could make some noise if we do manage to get in considering the Pacific division.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think the Oilers could do some damage in the playoffs.

I dont think they are a favourite though. I think its more likely that Colorado, St. Louis or Vegas come out but I do think they could beat any of those teams. St. Louis is probably the worst matchup imo.

From reading through various media outlets about the Oilers I think they get a few things wrong about the Oilers.
- I really think they underestimate the Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopking and Yamamoto line. They talk about individual players but this line as a whole for the most part is the best line on the ice the majority of nights. They have dominated many games. Each player brings different elements that make the line difficult to play against.
- McDavid hasnt had much for linemates this year and especially not since the creation of the Draisaitl line. He had some chemistry with Kassian but between the suspensions and all the drama, he hasnt been playing or on his game for awhile. If McDavid has any kind of chemistry with AA or Ennis, the Oilers become a very dangerous team. Stopping the Draisaitl line is difficult, and then containing McDavid is difficult and if he actually has chemistry and better players to play with (even if its a slight upgrade) it will be very tough for opposing teams.
- Archibald and Sheahan have been great this year and lately been playing tougher matchups due to injuries. Once (if) the Oilers get healthy, this line will get properly slotted against who they should be playing. Its a tough matchup for other teams.
- This team has had to overcome adversity this year through a lot of injuries and it should make better in the long run. They have been playing hard lately. They have some will to go with the skill.
- Probably the biggest one is their special teams. Both their PP and PK are awesome. They have won a ton of games this year simply by having better special teams than the other team.
- I think their defense gets underrated a bit. Its not elite or anything but a lot of people think its trash. A lot of people dont realize how good Bear has been this year. Now Jones is coming on. Nurse and Klefbom are good players. Larsson has really picked it up since the all star break and I think his game will shine in the playoffs assuming hes not overly hurt. He is mean and is really good at breaking other teams cycles. They have a pretty good amount of depth on defense.
- Their goaltending is probably the biggest uneasiness for me. Smith/Koskinen have been above average so far. I think Smiths game should improve once we get out of 3 on 3, shootouts etc and the games tighten up. Koskinen has upped his game a lot from last year. I think their goaltending could go either way in the playoffs.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
McDavid was out for 6 of those games (3-2-1), and since Yamamoto joined the team we are 13-5-3.

Klefbom and Nurse have never ever and I mean EVER played together. Klefbom plays with Larsson, and Nurse plays with Bear.

Smith has one regulation loss since the new year (against Tampa) Koski isn't even starting right now.

I don't think were the favorite by any stretch (St Louis imo), but if McD and Drai go supernova (easily possible) and our goaltending remains solid, we could do some damage. No expectations, but I think we could make some noise if we do manage to get in considering the Pacific division.

Plus people keep bringing up our +/- when the only reason it is negative is because of December. When accounting just for the last two months most of our big players are net positives. I mean that's obvious just looking at Yam's numbers and plus/minus. Our defense gives less high danger chances than league average, we got two of the best centers in the game, our goaltending is decent. We aren't favourites but we could make some noise if things continue as they have. Outside of STL the West is completely up in the air.

The only team that is a favourite is STL everyone else has varied questions, injuries and other things to deal with. Honestly that's why come playoff time I think the Western Conference Playoffs are going to more interesting than the East. Most of the old guard has is dying/retooling unlike the East and there are many teams trying to finally cement their dominance in this conference.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
As a Wings fan, I think their deadline pickups are being kind of overrated.

Green this season looks like a 7th defenseman and AA is on pace for like the worst +/- in forever. And Tyler Ennis is kind of meh.

I hope it works out for Kenny and the Oilers but I do feel like them being "winners" of the deadline is kind of questionable. Luckily for them they have the two best players in the world so adding an type of talent should in theory improve their chances.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Mark Stone is better than either of them.
AppropriateRingedBasilisk-size_restricted.gif

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Oilers are beating teams based on the heroics of 2 players.

The problem is; in the playoffs, it's all about depth. Even Crosby and Malkin get shut out in the finals.

The Oilers have some of the worst depth of any team in the playoff picture.
you're really discrediting the contributions of RNH and Yamamoto as well as the goalie tandem and the PK...wow

not close to the favorites I agree, but the Pacific is wide open

better teams than the Oilers in the West:
Avs
Blues
Stars
Golden Knights

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV

source.gif

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

2nd round exit?

A couple of things here that need to be noted.
6 of the last 10 games were without McDavid and a whole bunch of other players that are injured and their top D pair isn't Klefbom-Nurse, it's Nurse-Bear, the 3rd pair has actually been pretty good this year and Smith has taken over as their starting goalie and is 10-1-3 in his last 14 starts with over a .920 save pct. so...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nah, the goalies are still a ? The team lives and dies on the PP, hard to live on that in the playoffs. Still a young team as well. While Bear has been amazing and Jones solid, how will 2 young D fair in the playoffs for the first time

They will still be fighting to get in playoffs, and may win a few games if they get in. But cant see them as serious contenders

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Before the deadline I had one of St Louis/Colorado/Dallas as the team coming out of the west.

After the deadline I have one of St Louis/Colorado/Dallas/Vegas coming out of the west.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014

to add:

-we have games in hand over VGK. can be 4th by the end of tonight
-Dcore has been deep. we've had injuries there all year and everyone has stepped up and filled in
-we'll have a full top 6 spearheaded by McDavid and Draisaitl firing on all cylinders
-we have the best PP in like the last 30 years only running off one unit. with Green and proper depth, we can have two functioning units

we are not a perfect team but we aren't castaways either

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Ottawa Senators with Mark Stone on the ice over the past 3 seasons were a significantly better team than the Edmonton Oilers with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl on the ice. That's all you really need to know.

Do you really believe the nonsense that you spew or do you just say ridiculous things like this simply to rile people up?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The favorites are the three central teams out of the west.

St. Lious yes. Dallas maybe, Colorado no way.

Las Vegas would be the only other serious team other than the Blues. Colorado chokes in the playoffs and Dallas is a question mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad