So do you still think that Crosby will play in the NHL this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Before, I would have said yes. But now, I'm not so sure anymore. Will whoever drafts him really want to start playing him right away, and risk losing him via free agency by the time he's 25 (when he will probably just be entering his prime)?

I know I wouldn't want to. But it seems stupid to keep him out of the NHL.

I really don't like that 7-year rule.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
on the other hand you risk stunting your investment by burrying him in the lesser leagues for years

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Levitate said:
on the other hand you risk stunting your investment by burrying him in the lesser leagues for years

Exactly. It's like either way, you can't really win here.

It seems like they designed this CBA with the intent to make the draft irrelevant.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
The league would be soooooo pissed if he didn't play. He's the main reason they're rushing to have a draft. Otherwise any other year without a stud like him, and they are either bumping the age up to 19 or postponing the draft until after the new season under the new CBA.

The Overseer*

No way. He'll be drafted, but he'll play elsewhere until he's 20. At 20, he'll see his first full-time NHL action. Any team that does different is idiotic.

MykeAbner

Feb 2, 2005
Nilsson Schmilsson said:
No way. He'll be drafted, but he'll play elsewhere until he's 20. At 20, he'll see his first full-time NHL action. Any team that does different is idiotic.
Either that or you're idiotic.

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
Nilsson Schmilsson said:

Right.... :shakehead

Of course he will play, not only because he is so hyped and whoever drafts him may sell out all of their home games, but because he WILL be able to make an immediate impact in the league. He is a special player and he will not crash and burn in his first season.

Barring an injury, I predict that he will win the Calder.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I could totally see the team who drafts him playing him under the minimum # of games this season for that 7 year rule in order to retain his rights for an extra year during his prime. As stupid as I think that is, it is a very realistic scenario.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Nilsson Schmilsson said:

Right, so a guy who is more hyped than a Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Nash, or Bouwmeester.........isn't going to play for another 2 years.

Please, give it another thought. 1st overall picks almost always play the immediate season that they are drafted.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Brule said:
Please, give it another thought. 1st overall picks almost always play the immediate season that they are drafted.

True, but this new CBA gives teams a lot of incentive to hold their top prospects back until they're 19 or 20. Crosby, being as top as a top prospect can get, is a prime candidate to be subjected to that.

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
fisher said:
I could totally see the team who drafts him playing him under the minimum # of games this season for that 7 year rule in order to retain his rights for an extra year during his prime. As stupid as I think that is, it is a very realistic scenario.

Not realistic at all IMO.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
fisher said:
True, but this new CBA gives teams a lot of incentive to hold their top prospects back until they're 19 or 20. Crosby, being as top as a top prospect can get, is a prime candidate to be subjected to that.

But knowing of Crosby's intentions of playing in the NHL next season.......preventing him from doing so would cause HUGE tension between him and management. That's never a good thing, especially at 18 years of age.

X0ssbar

Brule said:
Right, so a guy who is more hyped than a Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Nash, or Bouwmeester.........isn't going to play for another 2 years.

I wouldn't have played Nash and I don't the MacLean would have either if this 7 year rule was in effect. A team will get much more milage out of a player who is 20 - 27 years old than from 18 - 25 year old. Maturity, hockey skills, body development, etc are all further advanced in a 20 year old as opposed to an 18 year old.

I think we'll see MANY (if not all) teams leaving their prospects in the juniors/college until their 20, 1st round overall picks included IMHO.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Brule said:
But knowing of Crosby's intentions of playing in the NHL next season.......preventing him from doing so would cause HUGE tension between him and management. That's never a good thing, especially at 18 years of age.

Good point. It looks like whoever drafts Crosby is going to be in an interesting conundrum.

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
I can't believe this is even an issue. Who knows what could happen with another year of Crosby playing elsewhere. What he suffers a knee injury that hurts him throughout his career? It almost happened in the Q this year when he got kneeed. Whoever drafts Crosby will not be worrying about him leaving via Free Agency 7 years down the road. A lot of things can happen in 7 years and who is to say that he doesn't resign then anyhow?

He will play in the league for the full season for whoever drafts him. Anyone on here can mark my words!

The Joker*

But, players will be a lot more likely to stay with a team instead of getting up and moving their families around once they become UFAs because they will not make more money anywhere else.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Well, i guess we can give up on chances to see Ovechkin and Malkin in the NHL this upcoming season. Their teams won't have interest anymore in pushing hard to convince them to cross the sea now.

As for Crosby, under this rule i would let him play in Europe one year to be guaranteed to use him as a 19yrs old through 26. Better one guaranteed year at 25 than one now at 18.

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
helicecopter said:
Well, i guess we can give up on chances to see Ovechkin and Malkin in the NHL this upcoming season. Their teams won't have interest anymore in pushing hard to convince them to cross the sea now.

As for Crosby, under this rule i would let him play in Europe one year to be guaranteed to use him as a 19yrs old through 26. Better one guaranteed year at 25 than one now at 18.

:shakehead

I am not even going to bother. I can't believe how some people think? :confused:

Edit: Like really, are you serious or is this a joke?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I wouldn't have played Nash and I don't the MacLean would have either if this 7 year rule was in effect. A team will get much more milage out of a player who is 20 - 27 years old than from 18 - 25 year old. Maturity, hockey skills, body development, etc are all further advanced in a 20 year old as opposed to an 18 year old.

I think we'll see MANY (if not all) teams leaving their prospects in the juniors/college until their 20, 1st round overall picks included IMHO.

it's not that simple...you're stunting your prospects by leaving them in juniors or something if they're clearly ready for the NHL. you think crosby is going to get any better playing in the CHL for another 2 years? hell no. then what, he can go to europe and learn how to play euro hockey? still not the best way to develop a prospect compared to having him play in the NHL if he's able to

and yeah, the players likely won't be that happy about it either

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
I think Crosby will be in the NHL next season barring a bad training camp/exhibition run. This rule is going to hurt the likes of Hartnell, Burns, PM Bouchards. Guys that could play in the NHL, but it wouldn't hurt them to go back either. Guys that would only play minor roles in the NHL in their first year. Dynamite talents like Crosby and Kovalchuk will still get signed because they can make legitimate contributions whereas the aforementioned trio only made limited contributions.

If a team feels they can wait, this could be the deciding factor though. The Preds previous flirtations with Hartnell and Upshall would likely never have happened. Why waste a year when all the guy is going to do is put up a handful of points in 10-13 mpg.

If there is a specific cutoff date for which a year applies, I could see teams giving players a tryout. And after that time, if they have made themselves useful, then they might stay. But the days of 4th line 18 year olds might be over.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
fisher said:
Good point. It looks like whoever drafts Crosby is going to be in an interesting conundrum.

Crosby doesn't stike me as a problem child. He'll get his money, already has it with endorsements. If he gets drafted by the NY Rangers, he'll be one of the highest paid athletes (salary + endorsements).

Crosby wil never be a problem for a team that owns his rights. Will he be traded? probably...Gretzky was ...but not until their later years for both players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->