So Canada hasn't scored in 6 periods...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
The_Eck said:
I agree, Canada's main issue is a lack of complacency not lack of shiftiness. And it is you my friend who is the one insulting others for having different view points.

Sir, with all due respect, I believe you instigated this with your "big laugh." I am, of course, willing to move past this, if you realize that I'm not here to start anything. I just want to enjoy the Olympic experience on the boards.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
JamieG said:
Young blood? Why are some people talking about youth? The 2002 team had more older players and they were better than this team (even though they had a slow start, it wasn't this bad).

Ron Maclean was right when he said what he's concerned about is TOO MUCH YOUTH. Too many players are relatively young. Thornton, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Bouwmeester, Luongo, and on and on and on. Even the semi-players haven't exactly been through the wars.

Players like Brad Richards seem to lack the intensity and desire to play when they're competing against players that are playing for pride of their country.

Isn't he referring to Dean Youngblood aka Rob Lowe?

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
thebodyczech said:
Sir, with all due respect, I believe you instigated this with your "big laugh." I am, of course, willing to move past this, if you realize that I'm not here to start anything. I just want to enjoy the Olympic experience on the boards.

I apologize then if I offended you when putting a big laugh symbol. ;)

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The_Eck said:
Wasn't the ice surface in Salt Lake city the same size as the one in Turin??

No. Salt Lake had NHL sized ice. You'll see it if you taped the game from there...or even the Gold Rush 2002 video shows it...or lastly, if you go to the following site, you'll see that it was on small ice.

http://www.aia.org/aiarchitect/thisweek02/tw0215/0215tw1olympics.htm

11. The Peaks Ice Arena, Provo, by VCBO Architecture, LLC
The Peaks Arena at Seven Peaks Resort offers 114,000 square feet of building and features dual international- and NHL-size ice hockey rinks as well as seating for 2,000 spectators that can be increased to 8,000 during the Olympics. The facility also contains multiple locker facilities, a pro shop, clubrooms, a concession area, and administrative offices. Seven Peaks Ice Arena hosts the men's and women's Olympic hockey events and serves Club League Hockey and the Brigham Young University Ice Cats. The facility also handles community functions such as concerts and parties.

The problem for Canada is the big ice...and they don't have a clear leader to lean on while they figure out how to play on this big ice.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
thebodyczech said:
My theory: many finishers (no pun intended) are Europeans. Gaborik, Hossa, Ovechkin, Jokinen, Demitra, Kovalchuk, Alfredsson, Jagr, etc... North Americans, so it seems, have taken on more of a playmaking and grinding role. There is the occasional Rick Nash, Jason Spezza, Sidney Crosby, and Eric Staal, but three of four of these players are not playing for Canada.

Otherwise: Canada simply needs more creativity regarding the speed of the game. That's why, most times, the Brazilian football team can handle the European ones. Even a faster and stronger Germany and England are comparatively little concern for a shifty Brazil.

The Finns and Slovaks, as I said before, are Brazil. Time for Canada to get out of Deutsche football mode.

Disagree. The smaller, craftier players have simply been left off of this team (for the most part). Speaking of Kariya, Sullivan, Crosby, Bergeron here.

By the way: does anyone other than me think Bergeron would be a nice addition? He's a work horse that does it all. Not an elite talent right now, but proven performer, high intensity, great speed, and he and Crosby have looked good together before . . .

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Mike8 said:
Disagree. The smaller, craftier players have simply been left off of this team (for the most part). Speaking of Kariya, Sullivan, Crosby, Bergeron here.

By the way: does anyone other than me think Bergeron would be a nice addition? He's a work horse that does it all. Not an elite talent right now, but proven performer, high intensity, great speed, and he and Crosby have looked good together before . . .

I feel that...

Bergeron...

Why didn't I think of that!

Oh well, something to look forward to in 2010 then.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
He's also the fiery character that this team could use.

And while we're having fun, maybe the other Bergeron on the back-end could look good in a tournament which places emphasis on skating and quick transition.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
if there was a game Canada was going to bounce back in, Finland was it. this whole "saving it for the real games" is ridiculous. you think they didn't want to score on every shift of every one of the prior 6 periods?

if they were capable, they would have come out ON FIRE in Sunday's game. if there was a comeback in them, we would have already seen it. by all means, may the the optimistics comparing this year to the 2002 round-robin stumbles go on enjoying that mythic world for another 48 hours or so.

it's so funny, like Cheney shootin somebody and the hardcore's comin up with excuses. this team isn't a team, and it's a riot to read the apolosists spinning when they've had a shotgun of snake-eyes in the face.

shut me out once and we'll call it hot goalie; shut me out twice, shame on me.

today was the comeback, and it didn't happen.

ya ever seen those building demolitions in slow-motion?

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
They've dug themselves in a hole, when nothing goes in players get nervous and then nothing truly will go in. I am Finland fan, trust me I know, watching Nash on that breakaway was like watching Hagman. It shows all over their game, they are tentative with the puck and as such are way too slow to move it. Which means they have to work like horses to get any kind of chances.

What you do in a situation like that is keep it dead simple. Bang it in, battle in the boards, get shots. Quinn knows that and they started doing that in the later periods against Finns. It should pay off eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->