Not open for further replies.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Staal, Spezza - I agree.

Yet, noone is mentioning Mr. Savard.

Hell, he would be a great replacement for Richards/Doan

Maken*

The_Eck said:
today's game versus finland was pretty big.

Why do people not realize that the big games are on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday?

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
ya i dont see the point in having draper on the team if he's not on the PK and i wonder how a xxx spezza heatley would look like

but i think the team is just needs the right chemistry and they will be back to the old team canada form

Crossroads*

nneate said:
gives Sundin no linemates to work with and gets pummeled by the senators on a weekly basis, which is probably the reason Heatley doesn't receive the ice time he deserves.

4-0.

He still pounds the Senators into the ground in the playoffs when it matters most.

4-0.

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
Crossroads said:
4-0.

He still pounds the Senators into the ground in the playoffs when it matters most.

4-0.

More like he pounds the idea of Khavanov and Berg being able to shutdown Ottawa's top guns, only to be scored on in the opening 15 seconds of the game into his players minds.

Nice try though, back to the Olympics.

I really don't think we could have a better forward group then we do now, at least when it comes to the center position. You can't take Sakic off there, Thornton had a huge World Championships with Nash/Gagne, LeCavalier was MVP of the World Cup and we all know how good Richards is, and Draper is a great checking line center if needed.

Guys like Tanguay and Kariya and Phaneuf would have been a better choice then a few of the players on there currently, but that is not the problem with this team, it's lack of desire and possibly the coaching staff ( Quinn ).

Redden Punches Faces*

Crossroads said:
4-0.

4-0.

right on topic. nice bandana.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Crossroads said:
4-0.

4-0.

1967 :amazed: Do we need to revisit this crap even in the Olympic threads? :biglaugh:

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
Ovechkin_mvp said:
Staal, Spezza - I agree.

Yet, noone is mentioning Mr. Savard.

Hell, he would be a great replacement for Richards/Doan

Richards over Savard eh?

I see we don't watch the NHL much.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
My theory: many finishers (no pun intended) are Europeans. Gaborik, Hossa, Ovechkin, Jokinen, Demitra, Kovalchuk, Alfredsson, Jagr, etc... North Americans, so it seems, have taken on more of a playmaking and grinding role. There is the occasional Rick Nash, Jason Spezza, Sidney Crosby, and Eric Staal, but three of four of these players are not playing for Canada.

Otherwise: Canada simply needs more creativity regarding the speed of the game. That's why, most times, the Brazilian football team can handle the European ones. Even a faster and stronger Germany and England are comparatively little concern for a shifty Brazil.

The Finns and Slovaks, as I said before, are Brazil. Time for Canada to get out of Deutsche football mode.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
thebodyczech said:
My theory: many finishers (no pun intended) are Europeans. Gaborik, Hossa, Ovechkin, Jokinen, Demitra, Kovalchuk, Alfredsson, Jagr, etc... North Americans, so it seems, have taken on more of a playmaking and grinding role. There is the occasional Rick Nash, Jason Spezza, Sidney Crosby, and Eric Staal, but three of four of these players are not playing for Canada.

Otherwise: Canada simply needs more creativity regarding the speed of the game. That's why, most times, the Brazilian football team can handle the European ones. Even a faster and stronger Germany and England are comparatively little concern for a shifty Brazil.

The Finns and Slovaks, as I said before, are Brazil. Time for Canada to get out of Deutsche football mode.

It wasn't really a problem for Canada in '02 and '04 in terms of their style of play was it? Your analysis when explaining Canada's problems with soccer is very weak and has no correlation whatsoever to Canada's current problems.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
The_Eck said:
It wasn't really a problem for Canada in '02 and '04 in terms of their style of play was it? Your analysis when explaining Canada's problems with soccer is very weak and has no correlation whatsoever to Canada's current problems.

Well, if memory serves me right, the Finns weren't this shifty. And the Canadians weren't this complacent. You seek to disprove my without holding ceteris paribus. And, if other things are equal, the shifty team will always outscore the monotonous one. Reasoning: the element of surprise. It's true in war. It's true in sports. It's true in life. Hockey is no exception.

Edit: spelling.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
thebodyczech said:

I think that list is wrong, Spezza and Crosby are more play-making centres than goal-scorers. Crosby is fairly well balanced though. Spezza on the other hand, only has 14 goals but 45 assists. Staal, I agree with.

Dany Heatley, Simon Gagne (only one player in this tournament and in the NHL has more goals than Gagne) and Ryan Smyth (only one goal less than Crosby) are equally able to finish and SHOULD be doing so. The problem is chemistry and the players not being used in the right way.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Crossroads said:
4-0.

4-0.

37204. In every thread where the Ottawa Senators are mentioned as a good team, a mention of them never beating Toronto in the playoffs must come up within the first 5 replies. Failure to do so is punishable by death.

932675. Ottawa's playoff run in 2003 meant nothing because they never played Toronto in that playoff season.

08649. Ottawa beating Toronto in the playoffs is much better and much more important than Ottawa winning the Stanley Cup.
:biglaugh:

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
thebodyczech said:
Well, if memory serves me right, the Finns weren't this shifty. And the Canadians weren't this complacent. You seek to disprove my without holding ceteris paribus. And, if other things are equal, the shifty team will always outscore the monotonous one. Reasoning: the element of surprise. It's true in war. It's true in sports. It's true in life. Hockey is no exception.

Edit: spelling.

Was Mario Lemieux, Al Macinnis and Steve Yzerman shifty in '04 and '02?? :biglaugh:

Your arguments as to why Canada is not doing well are very weak indeed.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
The_Eck said:
Was Mario Lemieux, Al Macinnis and Steve Yzerman shifty in '04 and '02?? :biglaugh:

Your arguments as to why Canada is not doing well are very weak indeed.

If you don't want to listen, then don't. But don't blame me for your own incompetence. The Finns have gotten shiftier. The Canadians have gotten complacent. Now, was that so hard?

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
thebodyczech said:
If you don't want to listen, then don't. But don't blame me for your own incompetence. The Finns have gotten shiftier. The Canadians have gotten complacent. Now, was that so hard?

Answer my question: Were Lemieux, Yzerman and Macinnis shifty players in '04 and '02?? Why are you avoiding this question?? Team Canada's lack of success is do to chemistry issues and lack of intensity. It has nothing to do with not having shifty players. :biglaugh:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
thebodyczech said:

I was thinking along the same lines before; but where hockey is different from soccer is in the physical aspect: what do you think would've happened in soccer if Germany was allowed to bodyczech Brazil? :) I don't think Brazil would be the best anymore.

I think Canada has a case of a split identity right now. They've got skilled forwards, who feel like they should play a skilled game. But the Europeans are showing that they are at least as skilled and fast. I think Canada has to realize who they are - they all have to forget about being stars and start playng like Doan. The European teams have shown that they can withstand the physical game for long stretches; but this is Canada's specialty, still - I don't think anybody can stay with them for 60 minutes. Finland played great today, but they started to get tired in the 3rd, they could no longer keep it airtight. If Canada started hitting hard in the 1st, it would have been a different game, I think.

I am hoping Canada wakes up and faces Russia in quarters, or better finals. That could be a clash of titans - these are the two teams whom nobody can contain when they're going at it 100%...

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
The_Eck said:
Answer my question: Were Lemieux, Yzerman and Macinnis shifty players in '04 and '02?? Why are you avoiding this question?? Team Canada's lack of success is do to chemistry issues and lack of intensity. It has nothing to do with not having shifty players. :biglaugh:

I'll be explicit since your apparently adolescent mind cannot understand implicit and more sophisticated meanings. They're not shifty. But, again, you're committing a substantial logical fallacy with your argument--which I won't bother to explain again to someone as apparently uneducated and simply stubborn as yourself

Unreal.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
the shifty team will always outscore the monotonous one.

Lemieux, Yzerman and Macinnis weren't shifty and yet they won the gold medal.

As for me being uneducated, my bachelor's degree in Engineering proves otherwise my friend.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
artilector said:
I was thinking along the same lines before; but where hockey is different from soccer is in the physical aspect: what do you think would've happened in soccer if Germany was allowed to bodyczech Brazil? :) I don't think Brazil would be the best anymore.

I think Canada has a case of a split identity right now. They've got skilled forwards, who feel like they should play a skilled game. But the Europeans are showing that they are at least as skilled and fast. I think Canada has to realize who they are - they all have to forget about being stars and start playng like Doan. The European teams have shown that they can withstand the physical game for long stretches; but this is Canada's specialty, still - I don't think anybody can stay with them for 60 minutes. Finland played great today, but they started to get tired in the 3rd, they could no longer keep it airtight. If Canada started hitting hard in the 1st, it would have been a different game, I think.

I am hoping Canada wakes up and faces Russia in quarters, or better finals. That could be a clash of titans - these are the two teams whom nobody can contain when they're going at it 100%...

Well, from watching German soccer, I can tell you that the Germans play a very physical game (the physical aspect of soccer is not as evident as it is in hockey, though there is substantial kicking and grabbing).

And, while you do make a valid point, I think that Canada's main issue is a lack of complacency, which, in turn, causes undesirable results (ie: sloppy or non-ideal play). I don't think sloppy play is the issue in itself.

But that's just my opinion. Thanks for at least being courteous in your criticism. It's usually a better approach than insulting those with whom we have our differences.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The_Eck said:

But on bigger ice like in Turino, he certainly has a point.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
thebodyczech said:
Well, from watching German soccer, I can tell you that the Germans play a very physical game (the physical aspect of soccer is not as evident as it is in hockey, though there is substantial kicking and grabbing).

And, while you do make a valid point, I think that Canada's main issue is a lack of complacency, which, in turn, causes undesirable results (ie: sloppy or non-ideal play). I don't think sloppy play is the issue in itself.

But that's just my opinion. Thanks for at least being courteous in your criticism. It's usually a better approach than insulting those with whom we have our differences.

I agree, Canada's main issue is a lack of complacency not lack of shiftiness. And it is you my friend who is the one insulting others for having different view points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad