So Canada hasn't scored in 6 periods...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaBear*

kytem2 said:
As usual, Joe Thornton is not showing up for big games...sure, he'll get his points in the regular season, but once he plays against good teams, he is usually shut down.

Maybes hes injured again :sarcasm:

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
PapaBear said:
Gee surprise, surprise. Iggy floating doing absolutely nothing? No way... :propeller. Wait, its not the 2nd half of the tourney yet, so of course will pick it up :sarcasm:

:biglaugh:

PapaBear*

Theres two guys I would have liked see make this team, and they play for the Preds. Them two would flourish on the big ice with their speed and heart and determination.

Kariya

Sullivan.

Ya, my man Sully! :clap:

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Chelios said:
What else is Heatley suppose to do? He is playing maybe 10 minutes a night, has scored two goals so far and has been creating tons of chances. How does Quinn reward him? Sticking him on a line with Draper. I just cannot understand it.

You could easily replace Heatley and Draper with Wellwood and Domi. :)

PapaBear*

Kariya, Tanguay, Sullivan, Morrow would kill to be on this team and show everyone what heart is all about.

I still dont get how Tanguay fails to make the team. He has amazing chemistry with Joe and he has been the Avs MVP this year.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Young blood? Why are some people talking about youth? The 2002 team had more older players and they were better than this team (even though they had a slow start, it wasn't this bad).

Ron Maclean was right when he said what he's concerned about is TOO MUCH YOUTH. Too many players are relatively young. Thornton, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Bouwmeester, Luongo, and on and on and on. Even the semi-players haven't exactly been through the wars.

Players like Brad Richards seem to lack the intensity and desire to play when they're competing against players that are playing for pride of their country.

PapaBear*

One guy I think they could have benefited from is Brind amour. he brings everything, that every player needs game in, game out.

I would rather have him on the 3rd line than Vinny.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
PapaBear said:
Kariya, Tanguay, Sullivan, Morrow would kill to be on this team and show everyone what heart is all about.

I still dont get how Tanguay fails to make the team. He has amazing chemistry with Joe and he has been the Avs MVP this year.

I tend to agree. I think the problem is too many 6'5" forwards, Bertuzzi, Thornton, Heatley, Iginla....too many. Some speed and skill would look good. And the speed/skill players they did choose, like St. Louis have been outplayed this year by the likes of Sullivan and Kariya.

PapaBear*

JamieG said:
I tend to agree. I think the problem is too many 6'5" forwards, Bertuzzi, Thornton, Heatley, Iginla....too many. Some speed and skill would look good. And the speed/skill players they did choose, like St. Louis have been outplayed this year by the likes of Sullivan and Kariya.

When gretzy and co. say they will pick the best players, who happen to be playing the best at the time leading up to the olympics, how can he choose guys who are having an off year, like Iggy, Draper, Doan, st Louis, etc. I dont get it. He should be picking guys who are red hot coming into the tournament.

Puck33

Aug 7, 2005
Lakewood
shawn_kemp said:
Canada has the best group of forwards, defensemen and goalies in Torino.

What would have Crosby changed?

A few more penalties/powerplays, teams would go after him for sure he is a hot head ya know.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
The_Eck said:
Is Gretzky going to go on a tirade again blaming the lack of success on 'american propaganda' ?? Or perhaps now it would be 'european propaganda' this time around?

Gretzky and Quinn would both be lambasted for making a statement considering that the both used the ‘Buddy System’ in selecting the team.

But this might be the only way to get rid of Quinn and his lackeys and finally have a change of guard where past success is not the only factor in being selected.

Granted selection will be a lot easier in 2010 when Dion/Crosby/Stall will be that much more experienced and the vets will be too old(here’s hoping) to play.

A coach with balls is needed.

Spezza dogs it and would have been a prefect fit on this years team :)

I wonder if the non-Canadian announcers say:

Canada is once again on the PP, goal judge you can now have a 2:00 break.

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
Chelios said:
What else is Heatley suppose to do? He is playing maybe 10 minutes a night, has scored two goals so far and has been creating tons of chances. How does Quinn reward him? Sticking him on a line with Draper. I just cannot understand it.

Quinn is an idiot, some of his latest coaching achievements? McCabe as the leafs #1 D-man, Belak on defense, gives Sundin no linemates to work with and gets pummeled by the senators on a weekly basis, which is probably the reason Heatley doesn't receive the ice time he deserves.

Get rid of Quinn and I bet alot of our problems with Team Canada will be diminished.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
PapaBear said:
Gee surprise, surprise. Iggy floating doing absolutely nothing? No way... :propeller. Wait, its not the 2nd half of the tourney yet, so of course will pick it up :sarcasm:

Iginla = The Great Black Hype

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
alecfromtherock said:
But this might be the only way to get rid of Quinn and his lackeys and finally have a change of guard where past success is not the only factor in being selected.

Hopefully in Toronto too

They werent going to fire Quinn in Toronto 'till after the Olympics. Not winning with Team Canada nor the Leafs will hopefully cement his fate.

PapaBear*

nneate said:
gets pummeled by the senators on a weekly basis, which is probably the reason Heatley doesn't receive the ice time he deserves.

So true :biglaugh:

Ive always said that Hitchcock should be head coach. he has one thing that Quinn doesnt and thats cup rings.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
PapaBear said:
So true :biglaugh:

Ive always said that Hitchcock should be head coach. he has one thing that Quinn doesnt and thats cup rings.

caught me off guard. i thought the corrent answer was a winning record...or respect...or a mustache...

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
JamieG said:

Totally agree. The big players are good but we just have too many of them, Finland was skating all around us today. On the larger ice surface it's good to have alot of speedy guys with a few big bodies to compliment them. Most of our scoring forwards work hard for their goals by board work and grinding etc. so maybe to have a couple of guys like Stall, Tanguay, or Crosby who are flashy playmakers and snipers to go along with our scoring grinders would've have made team chemistry come along alot easier. They obviously wouldn't have done any worse the last 2 games than what the other guys did.
On the defensive side we are really missing Neidermayer. Other than Bowmeester & Redden, we don't really have a speedy rushing offensive defencemen. Foote, Pronger, Blake, Reghier, & McCabe aren't overly fast and they are having trouble getting offense created. Pronger is having a tough olympics and I know he has an injury but the swiss and finns were giving him alot of trouble as he just can't keep up with them.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Where's mr.big game Iginla. All i hear from flames fans is how big he comes up in important games, today's game versus finland was pretty big. Well where is he??

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Phanuthier said:
Well, you have a big forward (6'4 Thornton, 6'4 Nash, 6'3 Bertuzzi, 6'2 Iginla, 6'4 Lecavlier ect) and speedy forwards (Iginla, Gagne, St Louis ect) yet Finland wins 90% of the puck battles?

This team doesn't seem to care. Like I said, almost all of this team has been sleep walking their way into the tournament. Canda's top scorer's and hottest players are currently sitting at home, while guys like Iginla are standing around doing nothing.

Phanuthier, they need Brent behind the bench. ;) Kidding.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Scotianhab said:
Totally agree. The big players are good but we just have too many of them, Finland was skating all around us today. On the larger ice surface it's good to have alot of speedy guys with a few big bodies to compliment them. Most of our scoring forwards work hard for their goals by board work and grinding etc. so maybe to have a couple of guys like Stall, Tanguay, or Crosby who are flashy playmakers and snipers to go along with our scoring grinders would've have made team chemistry come along alot easier. They obviously wouldn't have done any worse the last 2 games than what the other guys did.
On the defensive side we are really missing Neidermayer. Other than Bowmeester & Redden, we don't really have a speedy rushing offensive defencemen. Foote, Pronger, Blake, Reghier, & McCabe aren't overly fast and they are having trouble getting offense created. Pronger is having a tough olympics and I know he has an injury but the swiss and finns were giving him alot of trouble as he just can't keep up with them.

Dan Boyle was arguably Canada's best at the Worlds last year and he's not even dressed up. Meanwhile, Sean Pronger...errrr...Chris Pronger looks like a Sheldon Souray clone. This guy must be overrated. Either that or he left his speed in his luggage.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Hockey_Nut99 said:
Young blood would have been good, but remember...

Ovechkin>>Crosby

An 18 year old, a 20 year old. A sniper, a passer. Not the same mold here.

Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't Crosby in the top 5 amongst Canadians in points before the break? If so, you have 2 of your top 5 pointers off this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad