So, can we take the hand of the panic button?

CloneHakanPlease*

Despite our record, I've seen nothing to make me feel like we are a contender. Still sticking to my 6-9th seed prediction and out in the first round in 5. I don't think it will get much better next year

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I never had my hand on the panic button. In fact, I left this board for a while during the lockout because I couldn't stand the constant whining, but now it's more amusing than anything. I don't know that this team is as far from a Cup contender as people claim.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I never had my hand on the panic button. In fact, I left this board for a while during the lockout because I couldn't stand the constant whining, but now it's more amusing than anything. I don't know that this team is as far from a Cup contender as people claim.

Team needs at least two contributors to be a contender, at least 1 D-man and a scoring forward IMO.

Is it possible to acquire that through trades? Possible yes, likely not.

CloneHakanPlease*

Team needs at least two contributors to be a contender, at least 1 D-man and a scoring forward IMO.

Is it possible to acquire that through trades? Possible yes, likely not.

I wouldn't think it as a feasible risk to take at this point either. Wings prospects can build a pretty good nucleus, and I think our window with this core is essentially done, especially if Datsyuk decides to pack it up after next season

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I wouldn't think it as a feasible risk to take at this point either. Wings prospects can build a pretty good nucleus, and I think our window with this core is essentially done, especially if Datsyuk decides to pack it up after next season

A legitimate point but then you wouldn't feel the need bring back Samuelsson or sign Colaiacovo. Those aren't building blocks or guys who make your team better, those are stopgaps.

That's what I meant, the Wings haven't made the moves of a team that's desperate to win now or those of a team that accepts it's in a long-term rebuild.

CloneHakanPlease*

A legitimate point but then you wouldn't feel the need bring back Samuelsson or sign Colaiacovo. Those aren't building blocks or guys who make your team better, those are stopgaps.

That's what I meant, the Wings haven't made the moves of a team that's desperate to win now or those of a team that accepts it's in a long-term rebuild.
I wouldn't have. I feel like Holland is confused in which direction to take this team, and is screwing us either way by being too conservatively in the middle.

He rolled the dice and tried to strike magic on getting some second tier guys after we lost out on Suter and co, but i'm disappointed in the players he chose.

Last edited by a moderator:

HTT3*

I wouldn't have. I feel like Holland is confused in which direction to take this team, and is screwing us either way by being too conservatively in the middle.

He rolled the dice and tried to strike magic on getting some second tier guys after we lost out on Suter and co, but i'm disappointed in the players he chose.

Aside from Suter and Schultz, there was nobody notable. And I'm not impressed with Suter without Weber.

This team isn't much of a contender with Suter than without. The UFA pool has been pretty dry and the ones who do make it through get severely overpaid to the point it where your RFA/UFA who expect raises will have HUGE bargaining chips.

Holland, "B.Smith we will pay you $2 million per yr for 3 years"

Smith, "Nope! You just paid Ehroff $10 million last year and you are paying him $8 million this year, I want atleast that!"

If Smith lives up to his potential he will likely get award over $3+ million per year. If Holland doesn't overpay like an idiot, he can probably get him for around $2 million.

Lol, then there are people crying that Holland didn't re-sign Hudler... Yet Hudler was the official whipping boy on the team. Had Holland re-signed Huder, people would still be crying because Holland is "redundant" - Brunner would be in the AHL this year.

HTT3*

Is everyone cool now?

or do we still want to trade Datsyuk, sign Redden, and buy out Franzen?

PS: Again Tarasenko beats Quincey....

Yet Quincey was a +2 and lead the team in blocked shots. Kronwall on the other hand was on the ice for all THREE St.Louis Blues scored on us.

Logic = blame Quincey? Lol :help:

:shakehead

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If Franzen plays like 2008 playoffs every other game from here on out, we should make the playoffs fairly handily. If Lord Z repeats this performance every 3rd game, that would be even better. If we trade Quincey for another Dman at the deadline, we will probably be much better at keeping the puck out of our net. Too many ifs, for me. Would rather not go into games "hoping" our guys play their best. It rarely happens outside of Datsyuk.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I haven't seen anything to suggest this team is anything more than what the 'nay sayers' thought it was going into the season. Seems people are a little too happy about a game we barely won agaianst a Blues team that was coming off a game the night before thanks to an all world effort from Hank and a big time gift from the officials.
Yea we will most likely make the playoffs and promptly ousted in the first round again. If that floats your boat as a use for one of the final elite years of Pav and Hank more power to you and if you think this team is a contender then I guess enjoy your illusions of grandeur.

HTT3*

If Franzen plays like 2008 playoffs every other game from here on out, we should make the playoffs fairly handily. If Lord Z repeats this performance every 3rd game, that would be even better. If we trade Quincey for another Dman at the deadline, we will probably be much better at keeping the puck out of our net. Too many ifs, for me. Would rather not go into games "hoping" our guys play their best. It rarely happens outside of Datsyuk.

You mean Kronwall? He was on the ice for every goal against yesterday. Quincey wasn't on the ice for any and was a +2.

Kronwall is already a -minus player.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
You mean Kronwall? He was on the ice for every goal against yesterday. Quincey wasn't on the ice for any and was a +2.

Kronwall is already a -minus player.

HTT3: using a 7 game sample size to justify Quincey being a better player than Kronwall. Gratz.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
HTT3: using a 7 game sample size to justify Quincey being a better player than Kronwall. Gratz.

7 game sample?

You mean ONE GAME SAMPLE?

And even then, using just numbers and not actual play? Kronwall wasn't great, but Q wasn't either. He still had some stupid passes and lapses in judgment.

If Franzen plays like 2008 playoffs every other game from here on out, we should make the playoffs fairly handily.

If Franzen plays like the 2008 playoffs, we're winning the Cup. He was an unstoppable beast man in 2008.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not as concerned, but I'm going to keep stockpiling canned goods, just in case.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Not to speak for HTT3 but,

Nobody said Quincey was better than Kronwall...just that he's been better at keeping the puck out of our net through the first 7 games.

The guy had a terrible start, but now that Smith and him are on the same page together, they have been our best pairing.

HTT3*

wasn't your argument also using a 7 game sample size? You want the puck to stay out of net, then point to Quincey as the primary problem... but when you watch some games you see Quincey isn't the problem.

Kronwall has been bad defensively but we have to look at Quincey? I don't get the Quincey hate going on around here. There are other players that make more $$ and do less. Kronwall has been like a 4th forward who doesn't score much. He doesn't block shots, he isn't play physical, he doesn't take faceoffs, he can't play defense... but he's the highest paid dman.

While Quincey isn't playing like Lidstrom, he also isn't the problem. He is playing physical, he blocks shots, he gets in the lanes, he kills penalties and he is a + player.

I just don't get all the Quincey hate when he isn't even our worse (or highest paid) defenseman.

Last edited by a moderator:

DetBigWangs

Dec 15, 2009
Datsyuk and Zetterberg are still Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

We have the pieces in the organization to be contenders. As has been said, however, is that decision-making has been very conservative for a while. The benefit has been that we're stocked with players/prospects and we don't do collapses. We are the most stable franchise in the league, arguably.

The downside is that we seem allergic to dynamic change when it might be a good idea. Live with it. You don't get the aforementioned benefits without a trade-off.

RedWingsNow*

Is everyone cool now?

or do we still want to trade Datsyuk, sign Redden, and buy out Franzen?

PS: Again Tarasenko beats Quincey....

Threads like this are ********.

People have legit criticisms. Very few people are "panicking."

I consider myself to be an honest critic -- and many people here would say I'm among the loudest critics.

And I put them as a team that finishes 6th to 10th. Hardly panicking -- considering the difference between 6th and 10th might be 6-8 points.

Right now, we're 4-3-1.

And we got gifted a win by the refs vs St. Loo.

I'd say we're heading straight for 6-10 territory.

So what the hell are you boasting about?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->