So, can we take the hand of the panic button?

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
No! Buyout Sammy, Buyout Bert, get rid of Quincey somehow, Smith sucks, Franzen's a deadbeat, Kronwall isn't a number one, Datsyuk is uninterested (trade him), Franzen's a deadbeat, Emmerton sucks, Franzen's a deadbeat, Brunner is too small, our defense sucks, Franzens a deadbeat, Howard can't keep us in games, Holland sucks and won't emulate all of the bad teams who sucked and are now full of young players due to rebuilds and thus is the worst GM in the history of terribad GMs, and Babcock is the worst coach in the history of worst coaches in all of sports history. Oh yeah, and Franzen's a deadbeat.

Aug 6, 2012
I'm still not totally comfortable with this team. We are relying heavily on Hank and Pavs to carry the workload, which they can. The problem is Helm needs to stay healthy and Cleary needs to be sitting or we're going to struggle getting any depth scoring at all. And yes I'm completely serious about Cleary, he's a burden for this team and we won't be contenders if he gets any playing time at all. We don't have the roster to waste spots on inadequate bottom-sixers.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Having a quick look at the thread history on the Wings board definitely makes us look bad. I was never in the "Trade Datsyuk", "Tank for Jones", "Holland/Babcock sucks" crowd. It's pathetic really. If they lose, they simply suck. If they win, "why did they win, they should tank for a lottery pick!!"

But this team is far from performing at a level they are capable of. Individuals need to step up (Kronwall, Smith, etc.), secondary scoring needs to step up (just look at the stats for this team, after the top 10 or so players, half the team has no points) and special teams are still awful. Once they get that sorted out, I think this is still a playoff team. And as the Kings showed last year, you get to the playoffs, anything can happen (although they did have to go through the better teams to do it).

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I never had my hand on the panic button

I still feel the same way I have all along,that they are a good but not great hockey team that should be expected to make the Playoffs but not do anything of consequence within them

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Which panic button?

I still say the bottom six isn't physical enough to beat St Louis, Nashville or San Jose in a 7 game series. Now, if Helm comes back and can stay healthy, Eaves rounds back into form, Sameulsson can add some offensive depth to the 3rd line and Cleary is removed from the team the Wings could realize their forward potential and at the least put some worry into an opponent.

That's also assuming Zetterberg & Datsyuk continue their elite level of play, Franzen doesn't go back to being a drifter, Filppula learns that shooting the puck is not a penalty, Brunner continues his development into a dependable offensive threat and the defense somehow remains competent despite its patchwork make-up.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
can we talk about that after we were playing teams they didnt have to play the night before or are the columbus blue jackets?
its not like the problems faded away suddenly. they are just hidden due to the schedule playing tired teams or do you know yet who is replacing datsyuk and zetterberg in withing the next 2 years?
or how to stop malkin and crosby with quincey and smith?
or how to solve the traffic jam in our prospect pipe?

we still have to survive the first round of the playoffs.......
lets just wait how this will pan out.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Is everyone cool now?

or do we still want to trade Datsyuk, sign Redden, and buy out Franzen?

PS: Again Tarasenko beats Quincey....

Nope

Obama_said_Team_sucks_icon875.jpg

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
can we talk about that after we were playing teams they didnt have to play the night before or are the columbus blue jackets?
its not like the problems faded away suddenly. they are just hidden due to the schedule playing tired teams or do you know yet who is replacing datsyuk and zetterberg in withing the next 2 years?

Exactly, so why are people jumping ship?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Who says Datsyuk and Zetterberg need to be replaced in the next 2 years? Z has much longer left on his contract and Datsyuk hasn't said he's leaving...just that he wants to finish his career in Russia...that could still be several years away.

Quincey and Smith are ranked #1 and #2 on our defence's +/- numbers, they had a horrific start but have been steady since.

The traffic jam in our prospect pipe is a legitimate concern, but not one that should cause us to panic. Most of our useless spare parts have contracts ending this season or next and we have the option to amnesty 2 of the ones that don't.

No need to panic...even if we don't have a deep playoff run this year.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Despite some Herculean efforts from Dats and Z we are still a lousy team.

The defense is porous and Kronwall looks overwhelmed. The bottom six does nothing but commit penalties. Howard has looked average. The PP and PK are ranked 24th and 27th respectively.

So no, I'm not 'cool'

djdan6215

Feb 26, 2012
wings

the wings play good game since the beginning of the season

zetterberg is awesome (datsyuk,brunner,franzen,filpulla and bertuzzi ) play very good too tootoo is good on the fourth line

i dont have a problem with the defense

kronwall,ericsson,smith, playing well quincey i give him a chance , i am very surprising with huskins, kindl is not very good i prefer lashoff
maybe we need a trade for a solid vet defense like robyn regehr or derek morris..

colaiacovo hurt again ...

my only problem is depth (third and fourth line )

abdelkader 0 pts in 7 games
eaves 1 pts in 5 games
miller 0 pts in 7 games
CLEARY 0 pts in 7 games
emmerton 0 pts in 7 games

mursak hurt again

we need helm and sammuelson return

AND MAYBE A LINE WITH NYQUIST--TATAR--FERRARO OR SHEAHAN WHY NOT THESE KID ARE VERY GOOD IN GRAND RAPIDS

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
They'll probably make the playoffs but won't do much in the playoffs. Even Babcock has said this is a rebuilding season. That being said, if they are rebuilding they should be playing the young guys rather than the Clearys of the world.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
The PP and PK are ranked 24th and 27th respectively.

The PK is not anywhere near as bad as it looks on the stats sheet right now.

If you take out the season opener they jump from 27th to 18th, and we're also playing without our best penalty killer in Helm.

The PP is terrible though, especially the 2nd unit

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
The PK is not anywhere near as bad as it looks on the stats sheet right now.

If you take out the season opener they jump from 27th to 18th, and we're also playing without our best penalty killer in Helm.

The PP is terrible though, especially the 2nd unit

They have a respectable PK at home. Around 81%. They are 51 or something on the road (probably the opener didn't help much).

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I have several trains of thought

1) I appreciate that fans here care how the team does. (We are all on the same page... we want the stanley cup again).. if we agree on nothing else, We agree on that!

2) Our team is good, has been good the last 5 years. There are now some "chinks in the armour", some reduction in our strength, but the overexhageration of our suckyness is beyond reason. We have placed 1st, 2nd (2009 im too lazy to look it up), 6th, 7th, and 6th best in the league during the season for point totals the last 5 years. This is called a good team. The fact that SJ is also a great team is 2/3 reasons we have been eliminated in the playoffs the last 3 years.

Bottom line the fans here sound spoiled, trading our stars to rebuild is illogical. We are still a contender, and if you don't think we are strong enough, suck it up... thats the cost of having 20 years of dominance.

3) I would love to see Nyquist and Tatar ASAP in the winged wheel. This is a futures board. I would love to see what young talent we have. I am ok with "letting" some of our older players retire.

4) Berate Holland at your will, he has tried to replace players and sign players the best he can. We will always disagree as we wish WE had his job. But we don't, so really its a continual path of complaints. They see Quincey and Cleary screwing up. They see the bad play. But you do not tell someone you have worked with for many years that he is fired without due process. And they will give them 1/2 to 1 season of bad play before they are fired. (traded, forced to retire). Realize things move slower than we want because patience is smart and these are people and friends that deserve respect, and this respect should make our organization classy. And I appreciate that.

I think we are a contender this year. Maybe a weak one. But I cheer for it, I hope for it, because I am a fan of the team. We are all happy when they win.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
I never really had my hand on the panic button but was more so frustrated with the product on the ice. We don't have a "terrible" team however we don't have an "elite" team either. It's not all about individual play all the time, they have to work as a unit. I was at last nights game and even though they pissed away that nice two goal lead there were more bright spots for this team than negatives. I thought Emmerton look a lot more confident and was getting into the dirty areas more than he normally has. Franzen actually hitting people and back checked more than I've ever seen him lol. The defense is held together with band aids and it shows, but I think Kronner, Huskins and Ericsson are playing with what they have and are doing considerably well. I try to look at the positives that we do have, not saying we are a great team but we aren't horrible.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
Who says Datsyuk and Zetterberg need to be replaced in the next 2 years? Z has much longer left on his contract and Datsyuk hasn't said he's leaving...just that he wants to finish his career in Russia...that could still be several years away.

Quincey and Smith are ranked #1 and #2 on our defence's +/- numbers, they had a horrific start but have been steady since.

The traffic jam in our prospect pipe is a legitimate concern, but not one that should cause us to panic. Most of our useless spare parts have contracts ending this season or next and we have the option to amnesty 2 of the ones that don't.

No need to panic...even if we don't have a deep playoff run this year.

having dats and zetta playing is not the propblem. producing on the highest level is the problem. look how modano does with 40 years on his back.
i dont wanna see zetta here with 40 years carrying team because nobody is there to replace him.

zetta and datsyuk started to play with the stars like yzerman and hull. not after them. so whats our prospects level to play with zetterberg? emmerton or abdelkader? i dont think they will be the next super stars here. and here comes prospects problem. as long holland signs player like bert, cleary and sammy we have no chance letting our prospects playing with zetta and dats.

thats the problem i see with dats or zetta in 2 years.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
My panic button consisted of playing Nyquist since this season is a throw away since they aren't contenders. I really wanted players like Tatar to get a real shot too.

Unfortunately, Holland decided to play the garbage, Sammy. Is he even on this team?

Being 4-2-1 does not make me believe this team is a contender. It look like 1st round fodder.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
My panic button consisted of playing Nyquist since this season is a throw away since they aren't contenders. I really wanted players like Tatar to get a real shot too.

Unfortunately, Holland decided to play the garbage, Sammy. Is he even on this team?

Being 4-2-1 does not make me believe this team is a contender. It look like 1st round fodder.

How does Vancouver look?
How does LA look?

They were listed as contenders to start the season

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
You know, winning a couple games in unconvincing fashion and saying "We're fine" is just as shortsighted as "BLOW UP THE TEAM" after a couple lousy games. I was saying this last year too, when we went on that home game winning streak and looked "unbeatable" at home. There were a lot of bad wins in that pile. Shootout wins, lucky breaks. They weren't wins you could point to and say "Yeah, the Wings were the better team." I think that was made undeniable to everyone when we got trounced by Nashville in 5. In my opinion, that's still happening.

Point is, this team is no contender, even with the wins. Last night was not a team effort, and practically giftwrapped with the most TERRIBAD call I've seen in a couple years. We're not getting production from our bottom6, like at all. They're playing okay, but we're definitely relying way too much on one line every night. It trades off between Z and D's line.

Our PP continues to be horrendous. The second line PP is the worst. It's seriously a joke. We spend more time chasing the puck on a PP than we do in their zone, that's disgustingly bad.

We're getting this far because Howard has stood on his head a few times and D and Z have strapped the team to their backs. That doesn't last forever. I like Big E, love even. He's big, he's starting to use that size, and he's making way smarter plays than he used to. Back to 2009 playoffs form in my opinion. But when he's making a bid to be our #1, something is WRONG. What the hell is up with Kronwall? Why does Quincey continue to be mediocre at best? Kindl/Huskins/Smith are doing okay. I still give Kindl/Smith some leeway since this is really their first *real* extended stay in the NHL. And I've been seeing both of them start to push people around and play physical. Improving every game.

If you want to be a contender instead of just a first round cya later, then some changes have to be made.

TL;DR: PP continues to suck. D-corp still not good enough. Too much relying on 3-4 players out of 20. Unsustainable.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
having dats and zetta playing is not the propblem. producing on the highest level is the problem. look how modano does with 40 years on his back.
i dont wanna see zetta here with 40 years carrying team because nobody is there to replace him.

zetta and datsyuk started to play with the stars like yzerman and hull. not after them. so whats our prospects level to play with zetterberg? emmerton or abdelkader? i dont think they will be the next super stars here. and here comes prospects problem. as long holland signs player like bert, cleary and sammy we have no chance letting our prospects playing with zetta and dats.

thats the problem i see with dats or zetta in 2 years.

Zetterberg will not be 40 in 2 years. If he's still carrying the team at 40 then you would be correct in hitting the panic button...

Datsyuk and Zetterberg played with Hull when he was 38-40 years old and far removed from his days as a star. When D and Z are no longer able to carry lines on their own, that is when you start playing them with prospects to bring them along.

None of our prospects development is being hurt by Bert, Cleary or Sammy. Yes some of them are already better than those 3 players, but they will not necessarily develop better playing 8 minutes a night in Detroit than they will playing 18 a night in Grand Rapids. I agree that they should be given more of a shot to make it at the NHL level, but its hardly a reason to panic about the fortunes of the team.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
There's no panic button for me, I said after the first loss to the Blues that this team isn't as bad as that and will compete for the playoffs.

The problem hasn't changed, this is an in-between roster, it's not a "future potential" roster, it's not a Cup contender roster. In-between gets you nothing really, if you aren't willing to significantly change in-between one way or the other you will simply stay in-between, see Calgary Flames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->