So called "World Cup" beginning to suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Anybody else dissappointed in Team USA? Who was the last true impact player from the USA? It used to be that the US could at least compete up front when guys like Modano, Roenick, Guerin, Amonte, and Leclair were in their prime. Off the top of my head, I can't think of 1 Team USA player that would be playing for Canada.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
People think players have some sort of obligation to play in the World Cup. If you were picked to be on the Russian team, and you saw the clusterfudge, chaos and mass hysteria their organization is, I sure as hell wouldn't want to play.

I think it's pretty obvious that if he were picked for the Russian team, he wouldn't want you to play either. ;)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Beukeboom Fan said:
Anybody else dissappointed in Team USA? Who was the last true impact player from the USA? It used to be that the US could at least compete up front when guys like Modano, Roenick, Guerin, Amonte, and Leclair were in their prime. Off the top of my head, I can't think of 1 Team USA player that would be playing for Canada.

I guess the Mike Modano fall-out continues. Trust me, he'd make Team Canada, even with the season he had last year. As for the U.S. team as a whole, no, it's not the most talented, but it's well-balanced, and has alot of strong two-way players. The biggest weakness is inexperience in goal, and that could be overblown.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Van said:
If you think the World Cup is going to be a joke, why don't you just quit paying attention to the tournament?

It is quite a simple solution, and those who are going to be watching the tournament won't be bothered by your bitterness.

Bitterness? :joker: That's what making observations is? Nobody is bitter about anything.

I apologise for making a comment on something that's obviously so near and dear to your heart. But that doesn't change the fact that what's supposed to be a pre-eminent event, the best of the best for hockey supremacy, is rapidly becoming the "good to half decent" battling for hockey irrelevancy.

Your attitude is like one of those insane jingoists, who tell you to leave the country if you should dare to not love everything completely about the way things are being run.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
If a North American team wins again there will be some Europeans who will claim that the tournament is "irrelevant" . Some (particularly Russians) claimed that the Salt Lake City games were fixed.

BCCHL inactive

PecaFan said:
Your attitude is like one of those insane jingoists, who tell you to leave the country if you should dare to not love everything completely about the way things are being run.

My attitude is more like, "If you don't care for the World Cup, don't watch it."

You act as if you have some obligation to pay attention to the World Cup, when in reality, you don't.

PecaFan said:
But that doesn't change the fact that what's supposed to be a pre-eminent event, the best of the best for hockey supremacy, is rapidly becoming the "good to half decent" battling for hockey irrelevancy.

Uhh...no. It is your opinion. Please don't confuse that with actual facts.

Alfons

May 3, 2004
The North American Teams obviously are favored because the playoffs are played in North America with american and canadían referees. Just like in the canada cup.
I think it was an unbelievable effort of russia in 1987 for example, to play so even with canada despite north american referees, north american rules and the crowd cheering for canada. (also Marios deciding goal was preceeded by an obvious interferece of a russian player)

cstu

May 6, 2004
Alfons said:
The North American Teams obviously are favored because the playoffs are played in North America with american and canadían referees. Just like in the canada cup.
I think it was an unbelievable effort of russia in 1987 for example, to play so even with canada despite north american referees, north american rules and the crowd cheering for canada. (also Marios deciding goal was preceeded by an obvious interferece of a russian player)

Correct me if i'm wrong here, it's been a while since I watched the tapes, but I seem to remember a game in Russia in the '72 Summit Series where Canada scored a goal which the referees/goaljudge disallowed for no apparent reason.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
DaaaaB's said:
What a ridiculous comment. Canada would have dominated Russia had Bobby Orr not been hurt.

Firsov wasn't participating for the Soviet team. In skills he was right there with Kharlamov but stronger physically.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Now there are doubts whether Forsberg will play or not. :banghead:

While the World Cup is certainly not a joke, it certainly isn't the "best on best" tournament people were expecting it to be.

BCCHL inactive

Alfons said:
The North American Teams obviously are favored because the playoffs are played in North America with american and canadían referees.

The vast majority of players in the World Cup are NHL players. The officials for the World Cup are NHL officials. There should be no "getting used to" the officiating at the World Cup for any team.

Gary

thome_26 said:
Buddy, the two best players in the world (Bobby Hull and Bobby Orr) weren't playing for us. If they're in, we win the last six games easy.

Fantasy Land? lol

Even Europeans are proclaiming a new golden age of Canadian hockey, you're a fool if you think Canada isn't still the premier (and more so then 6-7 years ago) nation for hockey.

What other country CONCEIVABLY could ice 3-4 teams with star players with EACH TEAM capable of winning the Gold??? Canada has depth that no other country can match up to...and that's the truth.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Alfons said:

C'mon now, if that's the case then Canada overcame nearly impossible odds to win world championships. Unlike the Europeans alot of them have never played the big ice, or have only played there in like junior 10 years ago, and the crowds are just as anti-Canadian in Europe as crowds are pro-Canadian in Canada.

However, I do agree with you that the Soviets played so good in 87, the two teams were pretty much absolute equals, except for the great difference makers Wayne and his side kick Mario.

Last edited:

Jazz

Alfons said:

Take a poll of all the NHL players playing in the World Cup (including those on the European teams) and they will tell you that the NHL referees are the best (and most unbaissed) in the world....

I've heard players such as Sundin, Forsberg, Palffy, Bondra, Bure, Samsonov, Selanne, Kapanen, Jagr and Reichel say as such.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Alfons said:

Big deal. :nopity:

The top European talent plays in the NHL now, and they have tons of experience playing on the smaller surface, so throw this excuse out the window. The Canada Cup in '87 was the best hockey ever played up to this point, with each game ending 6-5, and the games being won last minute or in OT (with all due respect to '72, '87 was better hockey but '72 was way more symbolic).

There wasn't, nor is there, any more bias with the Canadian refs as there is at every tournament held in Europe. They're either just the typically poor quality referee, or they're simply calling the games the Canadian way. If you want to suggest the refs are/were biased, well...boo hoo. Consider the following:

- in '72, the government in the USSR tried to arrest Alan Eagleson and drag him away during a game (not that he didn't deserve it a few years later)
- the refs concocted phantom calls or ignored some fouls so blatant that the most novice ref would call
- the WC's have never been held in Canada, which has meant playing on international ice each time
- with the NHL playoffs in full swing at the same time as the WC's, historically it has meant that Canada could have never won anyway because the other countries could send their best players (of course this predates the the influx of European players at the beginning of the '90s)
- the World Championships and the Olympics use international rules, which results in Canada spending a lot of time shorthanded simply because there was a big hit, the opponent went down, and he rolled around and cried like Rivaldo

If you want to suggest there was an interference on the Lemieux goal go ahead, but consider this:
- Fetisov was on the bench in the last 2 minutes of the game when both Gretzky and Lemieux were on the ice together
- the initial 2 v 1 that ensued (and became a 3 v 1) saw Igor Kravchuk, a 19 year old, slide on his rear end toward Gretzky, leaving Lemieux wide open for a shot the needed to be perfect
- the assembled Russian team all played with each other year round, for their entire pro level career, whereas Canada had a two week camp

It's up to you, but Europeans complaining about biased Canadian refs at the World Cup, or in '87 as suggested above, have nothing to complain about over the years. I do think Clarke breaking Kharlamov's(sp?) leg is a disgrace and puts an asteriks on the win for me, but I don't have that much sympathy when you consider the Soviet refs. I guess if you're going to get called for standing close to a guy you may as well earn that penalty.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Gurj said:
Take a poll of all the NHL players playing in the World Cup (including those on the European teams) and they will tell you that the NHL referees are the best (and most unbaissed) in the world....

I've heard players such as Sundin, Forsberg, Palffy, Bondra, Bure, Samsonov, Selanne, Kapanen, Jagr and Reichel say as such.
Huh? Selänne has said that the NHL refs are good, but that there are european ones that are better.

I think that the best refs are in the NHL, there are a few rotten apples, but mostly good.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I rarely criticize the referees and find the daily whinefest during the playoffs about officiating to be nauseating. That being said, McCreary's call of the 2002 semi-final was absolutely one of the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen, and Fetisov was perfectly right to call him out on it.

- the WC's have never been held in Canada, which has meant playing on international ice each time

That's the NHL's fault, unfortunately.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Van said:
Uhh...no. It is your opinion. Please don't confuse that with actual facts.

No, it's a *fact* that many of the best players in the world have withdrawn.

You don't really want to argue that Hal Gill is just as good as Schneider, or Bouwmeester anywhere close to Pronger, do you?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Sanderson said:
If NHL players weren't allowed to play in the Olympics, Canada and the USA would have a big disadvantage compared to the European countries.
Not neccessarily in quality, both would have enough excellent players left, but in equality.

European countries could choose players from their top league, while USA and Canada couldn't do that. They would have to use college, junior or minor league (not AHL) players.

Good point. If the NHLers were ineligible then shouldn't players in all the professional leagues be ineligible. No SEL, no German League, no Russian Superleage etc... The days of amatuer sport are dead, many of the cyclists just competed in the Tour de France, the track stars are on massive sponsorships. There are probably only a few dozen sports that aren't fully professional, shooting, archery, and other minor sports.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
me2 said:
Good point. If the NHLers were ineligible then shouldn't players in all the professional leagues be ineligible. No SEL, no German League, no Russian Superleage etc... The days of amatuer sport are dead, many of the cyclists just competed in the Tour de France, the track stars are on massive sponsorships. There are probably only a few dozen sports that aren't fully professional, shooting, archery, and other minor sports.
The SEL is only semi-professional, like the SM-liiga in Finland. The only professionals in those leagues are those who have gotten pro pay in another league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad