So called "World Cup" beginning to suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Czech's Anyone?

Well they aren't the favourites, but they are my suprise pick. Once the offence gets rolling watch out!

Canada, are the favourites heading into this World Cup of Hockey by the way.

Reilly311

Canadians are scared because if NHL players can't play in international tournaments, they'd be waiting another 50 years for a gold medal. :teach:

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Reilly311 said:
Canadians are scared because if NHL players can't play in international tournaments, they'd be waiting another 50 years for a gold medal. :teach:

Thats right buddy, we are pissing our pants. :shakehead

Until we actually have to wait another 50 years, tape it shut. Keep your pointless random comments to yourself.

Last edited:

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Reilly311 said:

It wouldn't have been that long had the USSR not had teams that were equivalent to the NHL allstar teams of the time.

Other countries didn't win gold medals in hockey back then... The Soviets lost them... Everything depended on them. Miracle on Ice? Yup, it most certainly was a miracle.... the Russians showed up with their C game and the Americans showed up with the game of their lives - that's what makes it special. But ya, Americans as the favourites for the tournament........ The difference in net is so astronomical that we have guys who weren't even considered for the team that would be easy picks as the starter for America, Russia(only thanks to no Khabi in this case), Sweden.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I wanted Finland to send the mestis team or something to this world cup :P Don't want any valuable players to be long term injured and miss future games that are of importance.

BCCHL inactive

Canadian_man said:
Thats right buddy, we are pissing our pants. :shakehead

Until we actually have to wait another 50 years, tape it shut. Keep your pointless random comments to yourself.

He's right.

If NHL players are not at the Olympics, Hockey Canada would have to revive the national Olympic team, which included the best players from college/university hockey after they graduated....Meanwhile, European countries can still select players from their domestic elite leagues. For Canada and the USA, their domestic elite league is the NHL.

And sadly, unless the NHL and NHLPA come to a CBA agreement to start the season by November/December, I don't see the NHL at Torino 2006.

Reilly311

thome_26 said:
It wouldn't have been that long had the USSR not had teams that were equivalent to the NHL allstar teams of the time.

ah yes, thoes russian teams that played NHL teams in scimmages consisting of thoes canadian players that couldn't play. :lol

Canada doesn't beat russian in 1972 unless Bobby Clarke goes slashy slashy. :lol

It's ok, you don't have to admit it, i'm just speaking the facts here folks. You can live in your fantasy land for as long as you like. :lol

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Reilly311 said:
ah yes, thoes russian teams that played NHL teams in scimmages consisting of thoes canadian players that couldn't play. :lol

Canada doesn't beat russian in 1972 unless Bobby Clarke goes slashy slashy. :lol

It's ok, you don't have to admit it, i'm just speaking the facts here folks. You can live in your fantasy land for as long as you like. :lol

So I guess the Fluke on Ice wouldn't have happened if the Soviet's coach wasn't high and pulled Tretiak then. :lol

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
jiggs 10 said:
You may not be cheering very long if you're only cheering for Canada! It is starting to look grim for them, too. The USA should be the favorite right now, based on who is NOT playing for their respective teams. Although goaltending will probably save the day for Team Canada.

Yes, the World Cup is almost as big a joke as the Olympics are now. Pros playing in an amateur contest? Ooohhh, real tough to win THAT! I hope the Olympics boots out both the pro basketball players and the NHL hockey players (and pro baseball players, too, I guess). THEN at least it means something to have won a medal. However, since the World Cup is SUPPOSED to be the highest level players in the world, it probably actually should mean MORE than the Olympics to these guys.

sorry but don't think so

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Van said:
I see the Olympics as being about the best athletes on the planet.

Look at other sports....track and field, cycling, and other similar sports....they have no professional leagues. The athletes competing in those sports are the best on the planet at what they do. Why should sports like hockey, basketball and baseball not be allowed to use their best athletes?

I agree with everything you said up to here. There are plenty of non stick-and-ball sports where the Olympics are not the premiere competiton, and the best athletes do not always participate. Cycling is a professional sport, where the top teams have budgets of around ten million dollars. The Olympics are hardly one of the marquee events of the cycling schedule, and several top cyclists are not even participating, Lance Armstrong among them. Olympic tennis is certainly not afforded the same level of prestige as the Grand Slams, and has seen plenty of pullouts. If golf ever becomes an Olympic sport, it will never be as important as any of the Majors. Skiing has a full professional circuit where the big races at the historic mountains are just as important as the Olympics. There are many other examples.

The Rage

Am I missing something? It seems like only the Russian team can be considered as not representing the best their country has to offer. The other teams have a couple of guys dropping out, but injuries happen all the time, and you can't expect a completely full roster.

BCCHL inactive

Epsilon said:
I agree with everything you said up to here. There are plenty of non stick-and-ball sports where the Olympics are not the premiere competiton, and the best athletes do not always participate. Cycling is a professional sport, where the top teams have budgets of around ten million dollars. The Olympics are hardly one of the marquee events of the cycling schedule, and several top cyclists are not even participating, Lance Armstrong among them. Olympic tennis is certainly not afforded the same level of prestige as the Grand Slams, and has seen plenty of pullouts. If golf ever becomes an Olympic sport, it will never be as important as any of the Majors. Skiing has a full professional circuit where the big races at the historic mountains are just as important as the Olympics. There are many other examples.

You're missing my point.

In all those other sports, the best athletes, such as Lance Armstrong, are eligible to compete. Whether they choose to or not is irrelevant. The best athletes in hockey, basketball and baseball are in the NHL, NBA and MLB respectively. What makes those leagues so special that their athletes should not be allowed to compete?

...and more specific to this topic, why should Joe Canada of the Vancouver Canucks (NHL) not be allowed to represent Canada at the Olympics while it is ok for Mats Sweden of MODO (Swedish Elite League) to represent Sweden at the Olympics? They both make money to play professional hockey. What is the difference?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Van said:
You're missing my point.

In all those other sports, the best athletes, such as Lance Armstrong, are eligible to compete. Whether they choose to or not is irrelevant. The best athletes in hockey, basketball and baseball are in the NHL, NBA and MLB respectively. What makes those leagues so special that their athletes should not be allowed to compete?

...and more specific to this topic, why should Joe Canada of the Vancouver Canucks (NHL) not be allowed to represent Canada at the Olympics while it is ok for Mats Sweden of MODO (Swedish Elite League) to represent Sweden at the Olympics? They both make money to play professional hockey. What is the difference?

OK thanks for clarifying. I suppose the answer to your question is: the difference is that NHL/NBA/MLB teams simply will not release players from their contractual obligations to their employers without a general agreement stipulating how it will be done. And since these leagues don't make themselves subservient to some bureaucratic body (like the top soccer leagues do to FIFA), they answer to no one.

BCCHL inactive

Epsilon said:
OK thanks for clarifying. I suppose the answer to your question is: the difference is that NHL/NBA/MLB teams simply will not release players from their contractual obligations to their employers without a general agreement stipulating how it will be done. And since these leagues don't make themselves subservient to some bureaucratic body (like the top soccer leagues do to FIFA), they answer to no one.

I understand the leagues controlling themselves, but there are people out there who think that NHL, NBA and MLB players should not be part of the Olympics (MLB players still aren't). Most people go with the ever-so-common, "The Olympics are for amateur athletes" reasoning without realizing that many of these "amateurs" of other sports make a living (which means money) doing what they do.

My question is targeted at those who are against Joe Canada (NHL) playing at the Olympics, but are fine with Mats Sweden (Swedish Elite League) playing at the Olympics.

Jazz

I think the Olypmics should be about the best in the world...

The one example you guys left out is Tennis. In both the mens and womens competition, the Olympic tournament counts towards actual points in their respective ranking systems just like any other weekly tournament does.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Reilly311 said:

Buddy, the two best players in the world (Bobby Hull and Bobby Orr) weren't playing for us. If they're in, we win the last six games easy.

Fantasy Land? lol

Even Europeans are proclaiming a new golden age of Canadian hockey, you're a fool if you think Canada isn't still the premier (and more so then 6-7 years ago) nation for hockey.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Cawz said:
How is it looking grim for Canada? They are still the overwhelming favorite to win this tournament.

What are you talking about? Pros playing in an amateur contest? Its not like the pro NHL players are playing against amateur bobsledders. Its pros vs pros from every country. How is that not "real tough to win"?

Why should pros not be allowed? If its supposed to be the best in the world, it should be the best, no restrictions. Why would it mean less if pro basketball players win a gold against other pros, than if amateur players win it against amateurs? Its supposed to be about the best athletes from each country (note: Yao Ming is carrying the flag for China). If the amateurs were better athletes, they would be professional and be making millions.

I dont understand your logic and why you are so bitter.

Agreed with totally? How is Canada not the favorite... is this guy being serious ???

and how are the olympics a joke.... for example if your a 100 meter sprinter your running against the best 100 meter sprinters in the world....
so hockeys the game.

People need to stop hating on the World Cup and Olympics and enjoy the magnitude of the event. Most of the best hockey players in the world competing for their country... it's amazing.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Reilly311 said:

You have to be joking with that comment.... Are you just bitter that nobody wants to play for russia now??? thats fine lol I wouldn't want to play for them either.

and about the 1976 congradulations on the loss.... must feel good 28 years later when your reminising...

anyways bottom line theres alot of talent in other countries for hockey, but Canada is just much deeper and talented than the rest of the field.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The Rage said:
Am I missing something? It seems like only the Russian team can be considered as not representing the best their country has to offer. The other teams have a couple of guys dropping out, but injuries happen all the time, and you can't expect a completely full roster.

I tend to agree with this. Yes, most if not all teams have lost one or more guys, mostly due to injury, with the exception of Russia. The horrendous state of the Russian hockey federation has taken a serious toll there, but that doesn't mean the tourney as a whole is going to suck, regardless of what all the Hal Gill haters have to say.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ktownhockey said:
You have to be joking with that comment.... Are you just bitter that nobody wants to play for russia now??? thats fine lol I wouldn't want to play for them either.

and about the 1976 congradulations on the loss.... must feel good 28 years later when your reminising...

anyways bottom line theres alot of talent in other countries for hockey, but Canada is just much deeper and talented than the rest of the field.

I think it's pretty clear that Canada has more depth to draw on than anyone else, but more talented? I would think that if all of the top Russian players were gathered together they would get the nod there.

Last edited:

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Rabid Ranger said:
I think it's pretty clear that Canada has more depth to draw on than anyone else. but more talented? I would think that if all of the top Russian players were gathered together they would get the nod there.
No way..... just because a guy is a one way hockey player doesn't mean he's more talented than a canadian...

look at a guy like Patrick Marleau... he's got just as good "skills" as MOST russian players and can play a two way game... the majority of the russian team are offensive minded and they do not have a complete game.. this does not mean that a Canadian isn't as talented just because they do more than just score.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Reilly311 said:

What a ridiculous comment. Canada would have dominated Russia had Bobby Orr not been hurt. We were also missing Bobby Hull and a couple others that couldn't play for various reasons. Then take into account that the Canadians spent very little time preparing for the series unlike the Russians and it was the offseason so many of the players weren't in top game shape.
The commies also did everything they could to sabotage Team Canada such as making wake up calls in the middle of the night and having biased refferring.
Bottom line is Canada won that series fair and square. :yo:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
DaaaaB's said:
What a ridiculous comment. Canada would have dominated Russia had Bobby Orr not been hurt. We were also missing Bobby Hull and a couple others that couldn't play for various reasons. Then take into account that the Canadians spent very little time preparing for the series unlike the Russians and it was the offseason so many of the players weren't in top game shape.
The commies also did everything they could to sabotage Team Canada such as making wake up calls in the middle of the night and having biased refferring.
Bottom line is Canada won that series fair and square. :yo:

Maybe we could get Bobby to slash Reilley 311 !!!!!!!!!!!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Van said:
I understand the leagues controlling themselves, but there are people out there who think that NHL, NBA and MLB players should not be part of the Olympics (MLB players still aren't). Most people go with the ever-so-common, "The Olympics are for amateur athletes" reasoning without realizing that many of these "amateurs" of other sports make a living (which means money) doing what they do.

My question is targeted at those who are against Joe Canada (NHL) playing at the Olympics, but are fine with Mats Sweden (Swedish Elite League) playing at the Olympics.

Oh, now I agree totally. The idea of "amateur athletes" is simply BS today, other than figure skating I don't know if there are any sports in the olympics that still care to even make the distinction. I think the source of that sentiment is uneducated fans who assume that only athletes in the big-four North American leagues make a lot of money playing sports, and hence these are the only "real" professionals. This of course is nonsense when you have guys like Lance Armstrong making 20 million dollars a year, and most of the tennis players being multi-millionaires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->