So Babcock needs to go... (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Our guys have trouble with the simple stuff defensively. What kinda miracle do you want Babs to pull? The puck support in our own end is so brutal. I taught 12 year olds to support the puck better than these guys are doing. A lot of the criticism directed at Babcock belongs on the shoulders of the players, because I can assure you, Babs isn’t teaching them to play like that.
If you taught 12 year olds to play basic defense, why would it take a miracle for Babcock to teach these players basic defense?

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
If you taught 12 year olds to play basic defense, why would it take a miracle for Babcock to teach these players basic defense?
Probably because playing defense is hard work and offense is fun and pays the big bucks. It isn't the teaching that is the problem. They have already been instructed, but since they have already earned the big contracts, what is the coach going to do if they don't play hard? Bench them? Trade them? Babcock benched Nylander for indifferent play in Philly and the fire Babcock crowd on this board went ballistic.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Probably because playing defense is hard work and offense is fun and pays the big bucks. It isn't the teaching that is the problem. They have already been instructed, but since they have already earned the big contracts, what is the coach going to do if they don't play hard? Bench them? Trade them? Babcock benched Nylander for indifferent play in Philly and the fire Babcock crowd on this board went ballistic.
So you think 12 year olds are serious and dedicated and professional athletes are just messing around? I think you have it backwards. Regardless, if Babcock has no ability to get players to play properly, he should be fired

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
So you think 12 year olds are serious and dedicated and professional athletes are just messing around? I think you have it backwards. Regardless, if Babcock has no ability to get players to play properly, he should be fired
Like reading comprehension, playing defense can be taught but you will have to want to apply what you have learned. The point of ErnieLeafs post was that 12 year olds generally are willing to play defense more than the Leafs currently are. That is not on the coach that is on the players. I am amazed that I have to explain something so simple.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Like reading comprehension, playing defense can be taught but you will have to want to apply what you have learned. The point of ErnieLeafs post was that 12 year olds generally are willing to play defense more than the Leafs currently are. That is not on the coach that is on the players. I am amazed that I have to explain something so simple.
As simple as his point was, it was completely delusional and nobody would actually take it seriously. It also doesn't reflect great on Babcock that an amateur coach with kids can get better results than Babcock with the Leafs

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Our guys have trouble with the simple stuff defensively. What kinda miracle do you want Babs to pull? The puck support in our own end is so brutal. I taught 12 year olds to support the puck better than these guys are doing. A lot of the criticism directed at Babcock belongs on the shoulders of the players, because I can assure you, Babs isn’t teaching them to play like that.

You seem quite misguided.

Take a wild guess how the Islanders went from 31st in GA to 1st all in the span of 1 year. They acquired a coach who actually knows how to form a proper defensive plan relative to the roster he has.

Do you think Doug Weight was teaching them how to be that inept defensively? Or was he just flat out not as smart and capable as Trotz at assessing a roster's strengths and forming a defensive structure around such strengths?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
As simple as his point was, it was completely delusional and nobody would actually take it seriously. It also doesn't reflect great on Babcock that an amateur coach with kids can get better results than Babcock with the Leafs

Isn't it part of the coach's job to motivate players to have the willingness to play hard defensively?

They can spin it whatever way they like, it won't reflect well on Babcock no matter what.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
You seem quite misguided.

Take a wild guess how the Islanders went from 31st in GA to 1st all in the span of 1 year. They acquired a coach who actually knows how to form a proper defensive plan relative to the roster he has.

Do you think Doug Weight was teaching them how to be that inept defensively? Or was he just flat out not as smart and capable as Trotz at assessing a roster's strengths and forming a defensive structure around such strengths?
Agree. And look what Gallant did with a team full of others teams cast offs to guide his team to the cup finals. So much structure in his teams play. And here is our coach that for some ungodly reason, some thinks he can do no wrong, has not won a playoff series in 7 years.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
If Shanahan and Dubas wastes another year with Babcock behind the bench, I hope they are fired also. Even when we win we look like crap. It’s not just us, look at the sports headlines, Andersen plays great in ugly disorganized Leafs win. This system, if you can call it one, will once again do nothing in the playoffs. The talent alone should get us into the dance.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
If Shanahan and Dubas wastes another year with Babcock behind the bench, I hope they are fired also. Even when we win we look like crap. It’s not just us, look at the sports headlines, Andersen plays great in ugly disorganized Leafs win. This system, if you can call it one, will once again do nothing in the playoffs. The talent alone should get us into the dance.

Since you seem to be an expert on systems... why don’t you tell us all what the Leafs system actually is, and what are the flaws with it?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: rubous

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Since you seem to be an expert on systems... why don’t you tell us all what the Leafs system actually is, and what are the flaws with it?

Thanks in advance!

We all know the system. They all fly the zone for a breakout pass, sometimes before possession. Lines 3/4 dump and chase, it’s no wonder they look decent this year. Matthews line always carries it in. And JT’s line is devout of all systems. I’m honestly not sure what our ‘system’ is in the offensive zone, we seem to fly by the seat of our pants mostly. The bottom lines cycle alright and that’s the closest you’ll see to a system on offence at even strength. Set plays? Forget about it.

As for the PP, I think everyone and their dog knows what we’re going to do or attempt to do up the ice and once we’ve set up.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Thanks in advance!

Can you tell us what specifically it is that you like about our system? What does Babcock do well other than get our guys to run interference and pretend that counts as defense?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Thanks in advance!

Personally I don't think there is a system and Babcock is still being paid by Detroit to destroy our chances. It's all a massive conspiracy to ruin us forever. Terrible quality hockey, you name it. We are infested with red wings and that's what's happening.

Ah ha ha ha haa ha

Reactions: ToMaLe

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Can you tell us what specifically it is that you like about our system? What does Babcock do well other than get our guys to run interference and pretend that counts as defense?

System?

You're using that in singular.

I hope you realize that for a typical game, players are expected to use about 5-10.

Reactions: MyBudJT

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Because bantam level defence is about 25 levels inferior to NHL quality.

If you played the game, you would know that and not ask a stupid question like that.
I think anyone regardless of playing experience should know 12 year olds play at a lower level than NHL players. Are you saying you wouldn't realize that if you didn't play? That's not good

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I think anyone regardless of playing experience should know 12 year olds play at a lower level than NHL players. Are you saying you wouldn't realize that if you didn't play? That's not good

What's not good is that you seem to think the Leafs defence is bantam-level quality and that Babcock isn't even capable of teaching them that.

I mean, that's definitely an opinion and you're entitled to it.

But if I was you, I'd personally walk away in shame and never expect anyone to take you seriously ever again.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Maybe Babcock needs to find a new way to teach these guys a thing or two, because I can assure most of these guys did not get to the NHL by being uncoachable.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Maybe Babcock needs to find a new way to teach these guys a thing or two, because I can assure most of these guys did not get to the NHL by being uncoachable.

Did Babcock teach Nylander to do this, in your opinion?

CvxiMbeWAAAfLY3.jpg

Because this is the type of defensive commitment we see in our our own zone frequently.

Probably a little less exaggerated but this is what sinks you as a team.

And if you need to "coach" a player to not use all of his athletic ability to avoid blocking a shot, well good luck.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
What's not good is that you seem to think the Leafs defence is bantam-level quality and that Babcock isn't even capable of teaching them that.

I mean, that's definitely an opinion and you're entitled to it.

But if I was you, I'd personally walk away in shame and never expect anyone to take you seriously ever again.
If you read the conversation, he said he taught his 12 year olds to support the puck better than the Leafs do under Babcock. Obviously I don't believe him, but I don't see how it's a good thing for Babcock if it was the case. I don't know why you think I was saying the Leafs should be playing like 12 year olds rather than professionals, but you are mistaken. I also don't think it should take a miracle for the Leafs to play basic defense by whatever standards you want to think that guy was talking about, do you?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Just look at the difference between Babcock and Keefe.

Sheldon Keefe in his post game. He said the special teams haven't been good all season, but were getting all sorts of luck. He then said "we as coaches need to do a better job preparing our team".

On an answer to his next question. He said we have dealt with significant injuries, but that shouldn't be an excuse. We have more then enough depth here, and a lot of good players. We as coaches need to be able to adjust. Special teams have been the difference in a lot of games, and that is large part a coaching issue.

He pretty much blamed himself for the team's play. Keefe is willing to take ownership for how the team performs. Babcock just gives out excuses.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC

Sheldon Keefe in his post game. He said the special teams haven't been good all season, but were getting all sorts of luck. He then said "we as coaches need to do a better job preparing our team".

On an answer to his next question. He said we have dealt with significant injuries, but that shouldn't be an excuse. We have more then enough depth here, and a lot of good players. We as coaches need to be able to adjust. Special teams have been the difference in a lot of games, and that is large part a coaching issue.

He pretty much blamed himself for the team's play. Keefe is willing to take ownership for how the team performs. Babcock just gives out excuses.
Totally agree

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'm posting this again so it doesn't get unnoticed in the bottom of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad