So Babcock needs to go... (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Theres no getting around the fact that office politics (and economics) kept Babs job safe with the transition to a new GM. But there's a shelf life on the safety net.

If the team is looking lackluster by adecbwr then Dubas likely has enough ammonto push for a change to Shanny and the board. Its when the Pens changed coaches back in 2015 prior to their cup run.

Babs is going to have to kick his stubborness and start adapting.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Well that lacks quite a bit of professionalism. You can't have people that close to the situation throwing that out there.

If that is indeed Keefe.

Extremely unprofessional behaviour, I agree. He should be reprimanded by Dubas and Shanny for that. Wasn't expecting that. At least use a darn burner account for stuff like that

Reactions: supermann_98

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think that Babcock is probably out of touch with today’s young players. I don’t think our young players connect with him or vice versa.

This is where i fall on it.

Theres no denying Babs CV. The guy is a good coach. The issue thougg isnif hes the right fit with this dressingroom. And while nobody on these forum's can say one way or another what goes on within the room -from the outside it looks as if theres tensions.

How Babs communicated woth a bunch of mid 30 yesr olds in Detroit a decade ago might not be replicable with this younger roster today.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'm sure he'd love to have the job. I'm also pretty sure liking this tweet doesn't help endear him to the organization. If I'm hiring, I'm docking him points for this tweet, not the sign of a team player. Babcock's still the coach and as long as he is, everyone in the organization should be standing behind him (at least publicly).
I agree with you there. I'm not surprised though. Well I am surprised at the like, but not at the fact he wants the job. Keefe has said he will only leave for the perfect opportunity. Coaching a talented Toronto Maple Leafs seems like the perfect opportunity.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Theres no denying Babs CV. The guy is a good coach. The issue thougg isnif hes the right fit with this dressingroom. And while nobody on these forum's can say one way or another what goes on within the room -from the outside it looks as if theres tensions.

How Babs communicated woth a bunch of mid 30 yesr olds in Detroit a decade ago might not be replicable with this younger roster today.

That seems like such an excuse and takes a lot of the accountability away from the players.

If these players want a supply teacher type to come in and tell them that their great everyday, then the coach isn't really the issue. The players need to preform.

I have some issues with him, but his ability to coach millennial hockey players isn't one.

Reactions: Ignatius Reilly

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
I think its a little early to be firing the HC and causing that sort of turmoil.

Look, we had a ton of roster turnover in the offseason. New leafs:
- Barrie
- Kerfoot
- Mikheyev
- Shore
- Spezza
- Timashov
- Ceci
- Marincin (didn't play last year)
- Holl (didn't play last year)

I'd like to give it another month and see if these guys can find some chemistry.

Reactions: hector morrison

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

I really think his CV is not all that worthy of praise! I think he has failed more than he should have. And still is! This should be his last kick at the can...getting to 2nd round might save his arse,but even that isn't success.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Well that lacks quite a bit of professionalism. You can't have people that close to the situation throwing that out there.

If that is indeed Keefe.

Babcock will be the sacrificial lamb, but Shanahan and Dubas bear equal responsibility.

They built a soft team and went against the established formula.

Reactions: TML1990

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
So is that Babcock or the talent?

Someone said this a while ago and it really makes sense to me now: "Babcock can take a weak team and make them over achieve, yet he can also take a talented team and under achieve."

The players are not buying what he is selling. You can just see them playing without any enthusiasm out there. Having so many new guys out there and they of all people are the ones doing well...makes you think that the old guard just doesn't care. Kerfoot, Mickey and everyone except for Spezza and Petan are doing much better than we expected...so what's the deal?

Reactions: ToMaLe

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Someone said this a while ago and it really makes sense to me now: "Babcock can take a weak team and make them over achieve, yet he can also take a talented team and under achieve."

The players are not buying what he is selling. You can just see them playing without any enthusiasm out there. Having so many new guys out there and they of all people are the ones doing well...makes you think that the old guard just doesn't care. Kerfoot, Mickey and everyone except for Spezza and Petan are doing much better than we expected...so what's the deal?
Babcock took the most talented team in the world to back to back Olympic wins. He also won a cup with a very good Wings team.

Doesn't seem like that long ago he was "only winning because of the talent on the roster" but now he can't coach talent?

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Babcock took the most talented team in the world to back to back Olympic wins. He also won a cup with a very good Wings team.

Doesn't seem like that long ago he was "only winning because of the talent on the roster" but now he can't coach talent?

Did you see the scores in those games he won back to back golds? We had the best talent by a country mile and we won by 3-2 score... boring games that should never have been close to begin with. If he needs a literal all star team to win with and not just a good talented team...then yes I stand by my post.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Extremely unprofessional behaviour, I agree. He should be reprimanded by Dubas and Shanny for that. Wasn't expecting that. At least use a darn burner account for stuff like that

I checked out the tweet and there is 1 like by a guy named Brian....are we talking about the tweet above that talks about Shanny that has 140 likes? seems like nobody really checked or I am not understanding something. Did he like it and then remove the like perhaps?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Did he like it and then remove the like perhaps?

Yes, he liked it (I follow him and saw it) and has since removed the like.

It is possible that the like was accidental. Not common, but I have accidentally liked a tweet before, especially when on my previous phone. I don't recall Keefe ever liking a tweet that was negative towards Babcock before - and there are plenty of those on twitter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad